DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New DJI Mavic 2 owner - problem

FlyingAndCarp

Reactions
Hi guys,

very excited to be a new Mavic 2 flyer. But, when I unpacked my bird I noticed that the gimbal had a scuff mark, and on the lens cover it actually has the tiniest of dents. It definitely scraped on something or bumped something during the manufacturing process...

The Gimbal seems to be working fine, but of course I am ultra paranoid after just dropping a large chunk of cash on this thing. I bought it on Amazon, so a replacement would not be difficult, but it's near impossible to tell if there is any gimbal damage, e.g. extra stutter when shooting 4k 30 fps 1/60th shutter etc. Then of course there's a handful of s/n registrations you do when first creating the DJI account, so I don't even know how that'd work if I got a replacement.

What would you all do?

Many thanks!

you got it off Amazon, could be you got one someone else sent back already or a refurb. check the serial number

Thanks for the replies. I don't care about a ding or scratch, I'm sure I'll manage some of those myself, I am just worried if the camera/gimbal took a blow it may have caused damage. Just seems like a hassle to send it back to amazon and have them send a replacement :(

Was there a gimbal lock on the ac? If it was intact, and the gimbal lock did its job, the camera/ gimbal should be ok. When these first came out, some were complaining about a scuff mark on the camera from shipping. Don’t remember exactly where the mark was, but it wasn’t on the lens.

Reactions: Former Member
The Amazon replacement process is very easy, just go to your orders and select what you want to return. The process walks you through everything and they will even provide you with the shipping label to return it.

Was there a gimbal lock on the ac? If it was intact, and the gimbal lock did its job, the camera/ gimbal should be ok. When these first came out, some were complaining about a scuff mark on the camera from shipping. Don’t remember exactly where the mark was, but it wasn’t on the lens.
It was! That's what makes me think it has to be somewhere in manufacturing. Hoping the lens cover (which I imagine is made independant) just took a tumble somehow before getting put on the mavic.

The Amazon replacement process is very easy, just go to your orders and select what you want to return. The process walks you through everything and they will even provide you with the shipping label to return it.
Yeah, I buy literally everything on Amazon, but then I have to drop off the box and wait for a new drone instead of flying :( lol.

Yeah, I buy literally everything on Amazon, but then I have to drop off the box and wait for a new drone instead of flying :( lol.[/QUOTE]

Yea, life is hard that way.

Reactions: Steedie
Hi guys,

very excited to be a new Mavic 2 flyer. But, when I unpacked my bird I noticed that the gimbal had a scuff mark, and on the lens cover it actually has the tiniest of dents. It definitely scraped on something or bumped something during the manufacturing process...

The Gimbal seems to be working fine, but of course I am ultra paranoid after just dropping a large chunk of cash on this thing. I bought it on Amazon, so a replacement would not be difficult, but it's near impossible to tell if there is any gimbal damage, e.g. extra stutter when shooting 4k 30 fps 1/60th shutter etc. Then of course there's a handful of s/n registrations you do when first creating the DJI account, so I don't even know how that'd work if I got a replacement.

What would you all do?

Many thanks!

Please dont take this the wrong way, but do consider yourself a perfectionist?

Please dont take this the wrong way, but do consider yourself a perfectionist?
I would rate myself a 7 on a scale to 10, maybe an 8, so yeah.. Doesn't help me in this situation :p

Since I don't know much about Mavics, my main concern was if it smacked into something camera first, or if it got dropped, or however the ding got there, was if it'd do damage. I've been Googling in between replies and it seems the Mavic camera/gimbal combo is pretty sturdy. Can't say the same for other camera equipment I've owned over the years, sadly.

I would rate myself a 7 on a scale to 10, maybe an 8, so yeah.. Doesn't help me in this situation :p

Since I don't know much about Mavics, my main concern was if it smacked into something camera first, or if it got dropped, or however the ding got there, was if it'd do damage. I've been Googling in between replies and it seems the Mavic camera/gimbal combo is pretty sturdy. Can't say the same for other camera equipment I've owned over the years, sadly.

There is nothing wrong with taking pride in what you fly. Perfectionists tend to keep their equipment in tip top shape, and are upset if it shows even a scratch or ding.

The Mavic 2 gimbals look sturdy, and they weigh a ton, but I have bought, sold and repaired many, so dont let the sturdiness fool you. They are sometimes as fragile as the lens or shutter in your SLR, so, seriously, if you are concerned that it might have been banged around during delivery, simply return it.

After going through dozens of them, mostly bought new or used through DJI, or other members, I have only had 1 that had a scratch on the gimbal, and it was from the gimbal lock, not from anything else.

Things can - and do - go wrong with Drones, regardless of how carefully you Fly. In your case, IF something does happen you're always going to wonder if that initial issue had something to do with it.

We'll assume you haven't Flown. So why not accept the additional delay as Tough Luck. It shouldn't take long; get yourself a brand new one, and remove all the questions?

Rgds, NAVMAV

Thanks for the replies everyone. To bring closure to this, I decided
There is nothing wrong with taking pride in what you fly. Perfectionists tend to keep their equipment in tip top shape, and are upset if it shows even a scratch or ding.

The Mavic 2 gimbals look sturdy, and they weigh a ton, but I have bought, sold and repaired many, so dont let the sturdiness fool you. They are sometimes as fragile as the lens or shutter in your SLR, so, seriously, if you are concerned that it might have been banged around during delivery, simply return it.

After going through dozens of them, mostly bought new or used through DJI, or other members, I have only had 1 that had a scratch on the gimbal, and it was from the gimbal lock, not from anything else.

Thanks for the insight. This scratch is on the side of the lens cover ring, so I don't think the lock did it, that's the worrisome part. I don't see how it could have scratched/chipped a bit of paint off any other way than banging into another sturdy object :(

Things can - and do - go wrong with Drones, regardless of how carefully you Fly. In your case, IF something does happen you're always going to wonder if that initial issue had something to do with it.

We'll assume you haven't Flown. So why not accept the additional delay as Tough Luck. It shouldn't take long; get yourself a brand new one, and remove all the questions?

Rgds, NAVMAV

This is great advice, thank you! I feel like a crazy person returning something over a scratch, but if it compromises the gimbal integrity in any sort of way I don't know what else to do.

Thanks for the replies. I don't care about a ding or scratch, I'm sure I'll manage some of those myself, I am just worried if the camera/gimbal took a blow it may have caused damage. Just seems like a hassle to send it back to amazon and have them send a replacement :(

If you're within the 30 days(or just a bit over) to return,speak to Amazon and get authorization to return.When you get authorization,or before if you like,order a new one.You'll receive the new one while you still have the old one.Check out the new one and if ok keep it and return the old one.If the hassle is a week without a drone,this will help.We realize that like many of us you are passionate about/addicted to the drone.

"I feel like a crazy person returning something over a scratch, but if it compromises the gimbal integrity in any sort of way I don't know what else to do."
There is nothing crazy about expecting a brand new un-scratched drone, especially at the price we pay for these craft. I'm glad you returned it and I hope you get a good one next time around!

"I feel like a crazy person returning something over a scratch, but if it compromises the gimbal integrity in any sort of way I don't know what else to do."
There is nothing crazy about expecting a brand new un-scratched drone, especially at the price we pay for these craft. I'm glad you returned it and I hope you get a good one next time around!
Fingers crossed!

My Mavic Pro's gimbal cover (attachment tab) was broken when I got the drone for Christmas. The drone/camera/gimbal works fine so I'm not worried about it. I just ordered a new cover when I got some other accessories. I didn't wanna mess with the hassle of returning, etc for something that makes zero difference to the aircraft's performance. YMMV

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu