DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New DJI smart control will not link to WIFI

How did you attempt to connect it? What happened when you tried that?

How did you attempt to connect it? What happened when you tried that?
It was just using the home WIFI connection and following the setup prompts on the smart controller screen which all worked well . Got to where the controller scanned up my WIFI site showing detail and asked for the password which I supplied and entered then getting message..... connecting to WIFI failed. My home WIFI is Telstra Australia NBN cable never had a connection problems to date. No problems previous setting up a MPP.

Maybe try some simple troubleshooting steps:
  • Restart the remote controller and try connecting again.
  • Try connecting to a different Wi-Fi network (if available).
  • There is a firmware update available for the remote controller. You can try installing it with the DJI Assistant 2 application (version 2.0.6).

Reactions: Hardgainer
Did you ever solve this? My smart controller arrived yesterday and I have the same problem. I can select the language, accept the agreement and then select my local WiFi SSD and type the password but the connection fails. I updated the firmware in the smart controller using the PC app but it still fails. This is in the UK on Virgin Media broadband. I have no problems with any other device. At the moment I cannot use the controller...any ideas?

My problem is identical to yours. I have no drama with connection of older MPP and other devices to my WIFI but cannot get past stage with DJI password to link smart controller which makes my new MP2 a brick. I just get connection failed every time I attempt to connect. I have given all detail to DJI tech and received a reply that told me nothing. I have sent further detail and await an answer hopefully. Will keep posted .

Some devices having troubles to connect to WiFi hotspots with authentication set to WPA2 personal encryption AES only.
Change this setting in your WiFi hotspot/router to "WPA personal AES+TKIP"

Hardgainer, I've found a workaround that works for me - hopefully you can do the same thing. I connected my mobile phone to my wifi and then used that to create a mobile hotspot. The controller was able to connect to the hotspot with no problem, even though the phone is connected to the same wifi that the controller coule not connect to. My controller is now activated. Happy days. It's not a proper fix, but will get me up and running and hopefully you and others too.

I also raised a call with DJI support who were quite unhelpful and instantly jumped to the 'we need to send you a replacement unit'. I told them I'd sorted a workaround and they then said it was probably a limit on my router! Don't you just love unhelpful companies?

Anyway, hopefully you can get the same results and they will find a long term fix. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Reactions: ff22 and Hardgainer
Some devices having troubles to connect to WiFi hotspots with authentication set to WPA2 personal encryption AES only.
Change this setting in your WiFi hotspot/router to "WPA personal AES+TKIP"

Thanks Kuele, I had already tried this on my router before posting - it made no difference. I tried a number of other changes as well but the controller stubbornly refused to connect. Anyway, all sorted now with the wifi hotspot.

Thanks PGTips it looks like a way in will try. Have not heard back from DJI as yet hope they have a fix for future convenience of updates . For a big $ item I feel this is not good.

Hardgainer, I've found a workaround that works for me - hopefully you can do the same thing. I connected my mobile phone to my wifi and then used that to create a mobile hotspot. The controller was able to connect to the hotspot with no problem, even though the phone is connected to the same wifi that the controller coule not connect to. My controller is now activated. Happy days. It's not a proper fix, but will get me up and running and hopefully you and others too.

I also raised a call with DJI support who were quite unhelpful and instantly jumped to the 'we need to send you a replacement unit'. I told them I'd sorted a workaround and they then said it was probably a limit on my router! Don't you just love unhelpful companies?

Anyway, hopefully you can get the same results and they will find a long term fix. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Phones can't usually make two Wi-Fi connections simultaneously, or relay Wi-Fi, being a client on one, and be an access point (server) for the other.
Likely what it did was drop the connection to your home Wi-Fi and used your cell data plan for internet.

Reactions: Avco Drone
Something worth considering, if you have a router that supports 2.4 and 5ghz and they do not have distinct names, I.e you don’t see two SSIDs one for each band, disable one band until it connects or rename them to make them distinct. I have had some devices refuse to connect because they can’t discriminate between each band. Disable one and they connect no problem. Once connected re-enable.

I have no problems in connecting the Smart Controller to two separate Wi-Fi networks now but I did have a problem connecting to DJI servers to register my drone during the initial setup.

What I do have a problem with now however is although my Smart Controller sees the latest firmware update when I go to download it tells me I am not connected.

This despite it being able to compare revisions with the server in the first instance, being able to go to the DJI homepage and browse the web using the built-in Lightning browser and my Wi-Fi settings telling me I am connected, with an excellent signal strength of 54Mbps on 5GHz!

Thinking it could be a combination of DJI servers getting hammered with users downloading the latest update and an unhelpful error message?

-=Glyn=-

Cannot get this new DJI smart controller to link to my home WIFI to complete setup. No problems with other devices that are running it will not just connect any thoughts much appreciated.

My theory is that a weak WI-FI is being over powered by the transmitter. I walked the controller to the WI-FI hotspot, and it started connecting. just my .02.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENJOYBIKE