DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Firehouse Strobe kit

Arkhira

Reactions
Site
www.instagram.com
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this firehouse strobe? I just ordered one as its visible from 3 miles and is compatible with the wetsuit I plan to get. I was wondering how is your experience with it and what the overall weight of it is?

Sorry, missed the last part of your question, weight of the strobe ?
Minimal, Arc II is about 4gms for that, the mount maybe similar, not going to affect things too much..

@Phantomrain.org should be able to fill you in on wetsuit weight.

Yeah I was mostly looking for the strobe weight. I was originally looking at Amazon ones but they all seemed sketchy and weighed quite a bit. However I didn't even think of the wetsuit weight. I am in the process of getting my license but its nice to have sub 250g kit options.

Firehouse strobe weights (with velcro backing) Measured on a jewelry scale.
Dual cree 3.79 gms
Arc II 8 gms
Arc V 13 gms

As far as "3 mile visibility"... While technically the brightness of the Arc V and possibly Arc II strobes might within the regs, but the farthest I've been able to see them at night is 10,000 feet (3048 meters). As bright as they are, they're tiny. But I guess according to Firehouse they meet the FAA requirement for night flight (at least the Arc V).

My naked Mini 2 with female velcro strips weighs 240 grams, so doesn't leave a lot of weight overhead for anything else. When I got the Arc II (my first strobe) I also bought a headlight mount and that weighs 9 grams. At least in the US they don't make us nuts (yet) with crazy weight restrictions as long as the drones get registered. It's got to be tough to go without a lot of necessary equipment in Canada and Europe without jumping through huge hoops.

Reactions: AlgebraMan
I fly with another forum member who had the Lume...that was not really visible for more than a few hundred feet if that much...he recently got the firehouse and it is a world of difference ...and although advertised as visible for 3 miles...I don't think that is the case...its weight is negligible....I see everyone is so concerned about going over the 250 gram threshold....but registering yourself to fly a drone over 250 grams is really simple and only 5 dollars...for recreational purposes you only pay $5 to be issued an FAA number and that number gets used on any and all your drones, unless you get 107 and are flying for other than recreational purposes

Dual cree 3.79 gms
Arc II 8 gms
Arc V 13 gms

As far as "3 mile visibility"... While technically the brightness of the Arc V and possibly Arc II strobes might within the regs, but the farthest I've been able to see them at night is 10,000 feet (3048 meters). As bright as they are, they're tiny. But I guess according to Firehouse they meet the FAA requirement for night flight (at least the Arc V).

My naked Mini 2 with female velcro strips weighs 240 grams, so doesn't leave a lot of weight overhead for anything else. When I got the Arc II (my first strobe) I also bought a headlight mount and that weighs 9 grams. At least in the US they don't make us nuts (yet) with crazy weight restrictions as long as the drones get registered. It's got to be tough to go without a lot of necessary equipment in Canada and Europe without jumping through huge hoops.
I use 2 firehouse stobes the ARC5 and ARC5XL, white light only, Both are easily visible at 3 miles and up 4 miles maximum.
Tested them on 2 boats on the lake. One with the strobes and the other as the observer.

Dual cree 3.79 gms
Arc II 8 gms
Arc V 13 gms

The basic certification is pretty straight forward to get. However yeah once you cross that threshold then there is a lot you can no longer do with the Mini 2. As for the 3 mile part as long as the product makes the claim then I should be fine. In Canada we don't have a distance requirement for lights from Transport Canada but our laws are changing every year.

Reactions: vindibona1
The basic certification is pretty straight forward to get. However yeah once you cross that threshold then there is a lot you can no longer do with the Mini 2. As for the 3 mile part as long as the product makes the claim then I should be fine. In Canada we don't have a distance requirement for lights from Transport Canada but our laws are changing every year.
If you think that Canada is restrictive you should look at the drone lives in Mexico. I used to live in Mexico, and while I don’t remember the specifics of the drone laws, I believe that once you get over 250 g you have to be a natural born Mexican citizen…Among other requirements. I love Mexico, but it’s another world when it comes to rules, regulations and enforcement.

If you think that Canada is restrictive you should look at the drone lives in Mexico. I used to live in Mexico, and while I don’t remember the specifics of the drone laws, I believe that once you get over 250 g you have to be a natural born Mexican citizen…Among other requirements. I love Mexico, but it’s another world when it comes to rules, regulations and enforcement.

I think Canada has it pretty good right now compared to most places. Even the USA is more restrictive currently. However that is crazy that you need MX citizenship to register a drone over 250g. At least the Mini 2 is viable for vacation use!

I think Canada has it pretty good right now compared to most places. Even the USA is more restrictive currently. However that is crazy that you need MX citizenship to register a drone over 250g. At least the Mini 2 is viable for vacation use!
In your opinion from your position as a Canadian, how do you find the USA more restrictive?

In your opinion from your position as a Canadian, how do you find the USA more restrictive?

Maybe I am wrong but this is my understanding of some of the differences.

Canada:
1. No requirement for certification for sub 250g drones
2. Only a single CAR is applicable to sub 250g drones. Basically states be responsible.
3. No minimum requirements for light at night. Only states that it has to be visible to the pilot and rest of your crew.
4. Able to fly in class C,D or E airspace with a sub 250g drone. Bigger drones require authorization like USA.
5. No current Remote ID requirements

USA:
1. TRUST is required for all drone pilots
2. Minimum light requirement for night time for Part 107.
3. Can only fly in Class G airspace unless you have Part 107 for more advanced operations and authorization. Applies for all drone sizes
4. Remote ID Requirements coming
5. Moving vehicle statement mentions sparsely populated which is not very specific

Reactions: brew99
@Arkira
There are fewer differences and I think a few misunderstandings on some of the rules.

I'm not sure what a "CAR" is in Canada.

"Trust" is something new that hasn't been implemented as a requirement yet. IMO it will be one of those things that won't even be looked at much if at all when it becomes "required". It's as much a training aid as it is a test. I did it in the car in 15 minutes traveling on vacation (no, I was not driving:0) . The slow part was trying to maintain internet access on the road.
[In Canada] "Able to fly in class C,D or E airspace with a sub 250g drone."... You're telling me that you don't need any type of authorization to fly in Class C D or E airspace with a Mini 1/2? I find that difficult to believe as DJI has some serious geofencing around C and D airports (and some E's). But any pilot can fly in C,D and E airspace without a Part 107 IF you get authorization (LAANC) and go through whatever unlocking DJI requires. I would imagine that geofencing is as tough in Canada as in the US. I often get authorization without declaring Part 107 when I'm flying recreationally.

There is no differentiation between sub 250g drones and larger drones up to 55 pounds as weight classes go- AS LONG AS THEY ARE *REGISTERED*. Put two strobes on a Mini and you're over. Even with a naked Mini it makes no sense not to at least register it so you never have to worry if you ever want to throw accessories on it. You do it once online and pay your $5 and then there is virtually no distinction. I fly my Mini 2 or Mavic 2 as I think the conditions warrant without regard to the weight.

Strobes? Any decent strobe will fulfill the night flight requirement. I almost ALWAYS fly with strobes, even during the day. Really a non issue IMO. It would be stupid to fly at night without a strobe as you'd violate VLOS almost immediately without them.

Yeah... Remote ID is coming, but not for some time. Personally I think it's going to create more issues than it will solve. JMO.

@Arkira
There are fewer differences and I think a few misunderstandings on some of the rules.

I'm not sure what a "CAR" is in Canada.

"Trust" is something new that hasn't been implemented as a requirement yet. IMO it will be one of those things that won't even be looked at much if at all when it becomes "required". It's as much a training aid as it is a test. I did it in the car in 15 minutes traveling on vacation (no, I was not driving:0) . The slow part was trying to maintain internet access on the road.
[In Canada] "Able to fly in class C,D or E airspace with a sub 250g drone."... You're telling me that you don't need any type of authorization to fly in Class C D or E airspace with a Mini 1/2? I find that difficult to believe as DJI has some serious geofencing around C and D airports (and some E's). But any pilot can fly in C,D and E airspace without a Part 107 IF you get authorization (LAANC) and go through whatever unlocking DJI requires. I would imagine that geofencing is as tough in Canada as in the US. I often get authorization without declaring Part 107 when I'm flying recreationally.

There is no differentiation between sub 250g drones and larger drones up to 55 pounds as weight classes go- AS LONG AS THEY ARE *REGISTERED*. Put two strobes on a Mini and you're over. Even with a naked Mini it makes no sense not to at least register it so you never have to worry if you ever want to throw accessories on it. You do it once online and pay your $5 and then there is virtually no distinction. I fly my Mini 2 or Mavic 2 as I think the conditions warrant without regard to the weight.

Strobes? Any decent strobe will fulfill the night flight requirement. I almost ALWAYS fly with strobes, even during the day. Really a non issue IMO. It would be stupid to fly at night without a strobe as you'd violate VLOS almost immediately without them.

Yeah... Remote ID is coming, but not for some time. Personally I think it's going to create more issues than it will solve. JMO.
Just letting you know, TRUST is finalized in the USA and is now required to Fly a Drone in USA. It's more of an educational test, but you need the certificate now, if police ask for it.

Just letting you know, TRUST is finalized in the USA and is now required to Fly a Drone in USA. It's more of an educational test, but you need the certificate now, if police ask for it.
The FAA has not yet determined any type of enforcement. I doubt that most police won't know it exists. And if one doesn't present the Trust Certificate what would a local law officer be able to do? Flying without a Trust certificate wouldn't violate any local ordinances. IMO, at least for a time- perhaps a long time it is nothing more than a campaign. No record of it at the FAA or the testing facility.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's a good idea to make folks aware of the rules. I've got a Part 107 but took the "test" anyway... but mostly for giggles. I don't think most newbie flyers or cops would even know this exists unless they hang out on forums like this one. Will DJI even pack the information inside their boxes informing the public?

@vindibona1

In Canada we have the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) and Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR). The CAR is what is law from Transport Canada. Currently for sub 250g drones only CAR 900.06 applies to them so most of the technical no fly zones for basic certified pilots do not apply. However that does not mean you can can launch a drone on a runway.. The AIM document does have general guidelines on what they want/hope Pilots to follow. However I imagine more will be added to the CAR over time.

I do plan to register the drone as I do have accessories that will push it over the limit. Currently I don't do any night flying due to no strobe. Here the Basic Certification exam costs $10 per attempt. The actual registration is $5 per drone.

@Interficiam Stercore

Thanks for the clarification. That is what I thought I read on the FAA website.

I was looking up some of the drone laws in Canada, and one of the things that is most different from here is VISITOR operation of drones in your country. Canada, at this time, does not allow visitor drone applications. Does this mean anything over 250g or all drones. Both recreationally or commercially? In the US, as I understand it, foreign licenses permit vistors to fly their drones here. I'm not sure what the restrictions are beyond that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54