DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New flier in denver, looking for legal locations to practice?

Jrose152

Reactions
Looking to get some updated responses on some legal places to fly in the Denver area(within 1-2hours). I know about no state parks, national parks, or open space parks. I've seen people mention Cherry Creek and Chatfield but looking for other places. I have flown at Hayden(Green Mountain) and Tin Cup Hogback Park. With all the laws in place that I would like to respect, I would like to get some suggestions on some known legal spots where I can either practice some things or just go out and get some great photos/videos. Where are you favorite areas to fly?

Reactions: db4476
Join one of the Drone groups in the Denver area. A quick google search comes up with a handful. On FB there is the Denver Drone Club. I find the group members can be very helpful.

Facebook Denver Drone Group

Last edited:
Reactions: tlswift58
Looking to get some updated responses on some legal places to fly in the Denver area(within 1-2hours). I know about no state parks, national parks, or open space parks. I've seen people mention Cherry Creek and Chatfield but looking for other places. I have flown at Hayden(Green Mountain) and Tin Cup Hogback Park. With all the laws in place that I would like to respect, I would like to get some suggestions on some known legal spots where I can either practice some things or just go out and get some great photos/videos. Where are you favorite areas to fly?
I flew up in Idaho Springs and up towards Mt. Evans. Many places to fly outside of the "Denver Parks" rule. Even flew at Echo Lake - just did not take off or land inside the park itself. Squaw Pass and Echo Mtn Ski Area are cool places to fly.

Even Garden of the Gods allows drones during certain hours of day in off season to fly within the park as a rec flyer. Since housing areas are right around GOTG - easy to take off and land outside of park boundaries. Same for Red Rock Amphitheater over in Morrison. Outside of park boundaries are okay to take off and land on - but can fly over the park. Signal range over Red Rock did suck, so I could not fly very far without losing signal and RTH going into effect. As soon as signal reconnected - stopped RTH and continued on flying.

I also flew downtown around Union Station and Capital - just have to stay outside of park boundaries on the t/o and land side. Nice to have a spotter / backwatcher with all the homeless in the area (sad). Mile High is good unless there is a game /activity going on as well as Coors Field.

@Vic Moss could be more helpful since he is in the Denver area.

Get Aloft / B4UFLY (app and pc version) / UavForecast and it will tell you most legal places to fly and when. With special rules by CO and Denver - understand those as they do not necessarily show up in the apps.

Reactions: GFields
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3