DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New FPV drone. Only available in combo?

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
I already have a Mavic Air 2, but I’m REALLY interested in the new FPV drone.

Only thing is, I need to save so it’s not a day one buy for me.

But I was wondering... so far I’ve only seen the drone in a combo. I was half considering buying the goggles now to use on my mavic, and picking up the drone later. Is that possible? Or are they only packaging it all together? (Seems strange as you can buy the goggles separately).

So:
1. I can use the FPVv2 goggles with a mavic drone right? Or only certain models? (I may still be in the market for a Mavic Pro 3 some day. Maybe even an Inspire, or Matrice)
2. I seem to remember they can be used as “movie” goggles. Not VR since they lack head tracking, but a big screen experience for regular content?
3. If they do sell the FPV drone seperate from the goggles, any idea of price? I’m ok if it’s a little less cost effective, but not much. I’d rather wait if it will be a rip.

Also, I have a couple of concerns - namely, the props in the frame, and possibly the lack of stabilisation compared to GoPro based drones - although I have a feeling Rocksteady will do just fine, and cropping into the frame to remove propellers will also allow for some stabilisation in post (just hoping it doesn’t lose too much resolution in doing so). Also, the filter situation.

Thoughts on that?

... Only thing is, I need to save so it’s not a day one buy for me.

1. I can use the FPVv2 goggles with a mavic drone right?

2. I seem to remember they can be used as “movie” goggles

3. If they do sell the FPV drone seperate from the goggles, any idea of price?

You better start to save & meantime monitor what happens regarding SW troubles, real world user reviews, possible disappointments regarding the feature set up that haven't been revealed yet & the durability concerns... it may turn out that this one isn't on par with your expectations or that you don't desire to be a free beta tester for DJI.

And if you don't know much about FPV & acro mode already... read up so you know what's required from you as a pilot as flying acro (full manual) is far from maneuvering a camera drone & if you have other more durable options for less money to go for in order to get into the FPV world.

1. Nothing of this kind have worked for the V1 goggles & nothing have been confirmed regarding the V2.
2. The same as in 1.
3. Not a clue, haven't seen only craft out for sale yet ... will most likely be, but not so far, & regarding price your guess is as good as mine. Most probably the V2 goggles will be out first as goggles only (in US I think they already are ...).

But I was wondering... so far I’ve only seen the drone in a combo. I was half considering buying the goggles now to use on my mavic, and picking up the drone later. Is that possible? Or are they only packaging it all together? (Seems strange as you can buy the goggles separately).

So:
1. I can use the FPVv2 goggles with a mavic drone right? Or only certain models? (I may still be in the market for a Mavic Pro 3 some day. Maybe even an Inspire, or Matrice)
2. I seem to remember they can be used as “movie” goggles. Not VR since they lack head tracking, but a big screen experience for regular content?
3. If they do sell the FPV drone seperate from the goggles, any idea of price? I’m ok if it’s a little less cost effective, but not much. I’d rather wait if it will be a rip.

Also, I have a couple of concerns - namely, the props in the frame, and possibly the lack of stabilisation compared to GoPro based drones - although I have a feeling Rocksteady will do just fine, and cropping into the frame to remove propellers will also allow for some stabilisation in post (just hoping it doesn’t lose too much resolution in doing so). Also, the filter situation.

Thoughts on that?
Website lists the combo kit, and each piece for separate purchase, if available. Ordered combo and another order with extras(batteries, props, fly more, etc). Extras are on their way from China, combo order is still in warehouse.

I think unless you buy the combo you don't get the controller with the ala carte FPV drone for $739. The marketeers at DJI are pretty clever.

As a tangential thought, you know the fly-away coverage that they now have for the Mini 2? Think about it...You have $49 for the care refresh, but if you have a fly away you pay an additional $255 deductible. In other words, they kindly sell you an ala carte drone which is what they would probably charge at retail if they weren't including the controller. What they *could* do, but don't is sell the drones ala carte so you can replace them at a reasonable price should one have a catastrophic crash. But their scheme is getting as many $49 insurance payments as they can minus whatever repairs/replacements they have to endure at MANUFACTURERS COST. Hell of a business move if you ask me. Not so great for their customers. But who ya gonna call, Drone Busters?

You can get the aircraft separately but it's meant more as a replacement since you basically can't fly it without the other items in the combo.

QUESTION:
If one buys the FPV combo, it comes with all everything you need, including the drone. WILL THE GOGGLES AND CONTROLLER WORK WITH OTHER FPV DRONES THAT HAVE THE DJI INTERFACE INSTALLED ON BOARD (I forgot the official terms for the receiver?) .

My thought if so, if other less expensive, more crash-resistant drones could work with the goggles and controller, it might be a better value to have the DJI FPV combo and something like an Emax Babyhawk ($329), which has a carbon fiber frame or some other traditional style FPV drone. I think the DJI drone might be excellent for some things, but is going to cost megabucks in repairs.

Thoughts?

QUESTION:
...WILL THE GOGGLES AND CONTROLLER WORK WITH OTHER FPV DRONES THAT HAVE THE DJI INTERFACE INSTALLED ON BOARD (I forgot the official terms for the receiver?)
You mean if anything in the DJI FPV Combo will work with a DJI Air or CaddX Vista unit equipped quad ...

The Goggles will work, they have 2 different switchable user interfaces though, one for the DJI FPV Drone & another for the quads ...

The Combo controller will not work ... you need the below for the quads.

1616789333918.png

So:

Thoughts on that?
DJI does sell their drone separately in their store. (store.dji.com). Buy DJI FPV Drone - DJI Store. It is currently out of stock. You do have to do a little digging for it in the more accessories section. You are able to buy everything separately, goggles, remote, drone, etc. The combo is a better deal by hundreds tho. No props in frame. Sometimes you may get in there a tiny but, but can easily crop it out. Rocksteady is great. Doesn't lose much resolution. Goggles only work with the Mavic air 2 with the HDMI output on the smart controller. It would work for you. Some videos on youtube show you how to set it up.

You mean if anything in the DJI FPV Combo will work with a DJI Air or CaddX Vista unit equipped quad ...

The Goggles will work, they have 2 different switchable user interfaces though, one for the DJI FPV Drone & another for the quads ...

The Combo controller will not work ... you need the below for the quads.

View attachment 126275
It's unfortunate, but it doesn't take a genius to understand why DJI didn't make their new controller function with anything else. That black controller looks so clunky. I just watched a vid where a guy crashed his DJI FPV drone and it was totaled. Paid $200 for the care/refresh and will cost him another $250 for the deductible to get it replaced. If you deduct the cost of the controller and the goggles essentially DJI is selling him the replacment near retail alacarte. And if one doesn't crash DJI just pockets the money. Helluva scheme, no?

It's unfortunate, but it doesn't take a genius to understand why DJI didn't make their new controller function with anything else. That black controller looks so clunky. I just watched a vid where a guy crashed his DJI FPV drone and it was totaled. Paid $200 for the care/refresh and will cost him another $250 for the deductible to get it replaced. If you deduct the cost of the controller and the goggles essentially DJI is selling him the replacment near retail alacarte. And if one doesn't crash DJI just pockets the money. Helluva scheme, no?
The black radio is actually considerably smaller than most RC-radios. I fly with rather fast rates, 1000 on pitch & roll and just above 900 on yaw... so I want a firm grip on the radio which the game controller type of radio can't provide.

I'm in on DJI's business model with the photo drones... but will never go down that rabbit hole for a quad, it will just be too expensive.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929