DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New from French Canada

Snow-man

Reactions
Hi everyone,
Jus got my first drone (Mavic air 2) and the first thing I did was to join your group. Doing so, I hope to gain from all your shared experience and knowledge and become a careful and skilled pilot.
Best regards to all and thanks to be there.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Hi everyone,
Jus got my first drone (Mavic air 2) and the first thing I did was to join your group. Doing so, I hope to gain from all your shared experience and knowledge and become a careful and skilled pilot.
Best regards to all and thanks to be there.
Welcome~!

Tips are for sure open area flying.
Get comfortable before you even think about water.
Practice cinematic scenes on easy objects.
The number one best thing is to put the time in practicing in an easy area. The controller will eventually become like another limb.

I have little experience flying rc helicopter (til I crashed it). Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it.
Regards,

Another western Canada guy, welcoming you to the forum.
I am a motorcycle rider myself and I skied all major ski mountains in BC and Alberta. So I really like Western Canada. Cheers!

Last edited:
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! ? Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Bienvenue Snow-man! My advice is don't be afraid to use RTH. One of the biggest problems I had when I first started flying was, I'd lose site of the drone for a moment then I couldn't find it in the sky again. I had trouble finding landmarks by looking at my iPad screen, to help me fly home. So, I'd just hit RTH and my drone would come back safe and sound. We try for VLOS all the time but if you glance down at your phone or pad screen and look up again, it's easy to miss that little drone a hundred or so feet up and a few hundred feet away from you. Good luck. Let us see your video and/or photos some time.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Bienvenue Snow-man! My advice is don't be afraid to use RTH. One of the biggest problems I had when I first started flying was, I'd lose site of the drone for a moment then I couldn't find it in the sky again. I had trouble finding landmarks by looking at my iPad screen, to help me fly home. So, I'd just hit RTH and my drone would come back safe and sound. We try for VLOS all the time but if you glance down at your phone or pad screen and look up again, it's easy to miss that little drone a hundred or so feet up and a few hundred feet away from you. Good luck. Let us see your video and/or photos some time.
Thanks,
My only concern so far using RTH is the height that seems to be fixed at 30m over home point. I’m worrying about changes in height of terrain and trees between the drone and it’s home point. (I did not used my drone outside yet, waiting to get my pilot licence prior). What if there’s a hill between the drone and me which may be over 30m even if I can keep VLOS. How do you deal with that kind of issue?

Reactions: Hauptmann
Welcome to the forum from Sandy Springs, GA. You will find all sorts of support and assistance here. We look forward to seeing your view of the world.

Thanks,
My only concern so far using RTH is the height that seems to be fixed at 30m over home point. I’m worrying about changes in height of terrain and trees between the drone and it’s home point. (I did not used my drone outside yet, waiting to get my pilot licence prior). What if there’s a hill between the drone and me which may be over 30m even if I can keep VLOS. How do you deal with that kind of issue?
@Snow-man it is important that you make the height setting for RTH a important part of your preflight checks
the height you set will be reflected by the area you are flying in ,and based on what tall trees, or structures ,such as power line pylons etc
you only want the RTH height to be say 50ft higher than the highest point ,as the higher you fly up to the 400ft max then the higher the wind
for me a basic height setting at the secluded places i mostly fly at is 40m which will clear the tree line of most of the areas i go to
but that does not mean that i would not increase or decrease that setting if the need arose

@Snow-man it is important that you make the height setting for RTH a important part of your preflight checks
the height you set will be reflected by the area you are flying in ,and based on what tall trees, or structures ,such as power line pylons etc
you only want the RTH height to be say 50ft higher than the highest point ,as the higher you fly up to the 400ft max then the higher the wind
for me a basic height setting at the secluded places i mostly fly at is 40m which will clear the tree line of most of the areas i go to
but that does not mean that i would not increase or decrease that setting if the need arose
You have a Mavic Air 2 and as I understand it, you can set the RTH altitude, under Smart RTH in the controls menu - Straight Line. On our Mavic 2 Pro, I have it set to about 60 meters, almost 200ft. That allows me to clear all known power lines, buildings and trees in my area, even trees on a small hill. Obviously you have to know the terrain well where you are flying. On the Mavic Air 2 you can go up as high as 1,600ft for RTH which would work for big hills, probably not mountains, but then you'd be well over the 400ft max once you cleared the hill, at least that's the max altitude here in the USA. The Smart RTH has to be set BEFORE you fly. RTH isn't perfect, but if you get into trouble I'd use that rather than risk losing my drone.

Just got my Canadian Drone Pilot Licence. I’m now legally able to fly it and can call myself Basic Operations Drone Pilot (junior)... The drone is registered, got my licence, only thing missing is the window opportunity to make it fly for the first time... without crashing of course.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS