DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Guy here, Need a little help choosing

petes

Reactions
Hey guys, new guy here what with this black Friday thing at best buy I am ready to get my first drone and am stuck between 2 drones

I am in Florida and want to use it basically for when I go fishing and to take on vacations with me and the fam, I am no professional just a hobbyist
I am stuck on the Mavic Mini Fly more combo for $499.00 ( I realize they are miles apart) or the Mavic 2 Pro which right now is $1,379.00 due to Black Fridays sale at DJI
I know they are not apples to apples but when will the Mavic 2 Pro be at that price again what with the tariffs
I thought about the Mini for a while and then move up but that price point on the Pro right know is making me lean to the Pro

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks
Pete

Reactions: Ds67888
Hey guys, new guy here what with this black Friday thing at best buy I am ready to get my first drone and am stuck between 2 drones

I am in Florida and want to use it basically for when I go fishing and to take on vacations with me and the fam, I am no professional just a hobbyist
I am stuck on the Mavic Mini Fly more combo for $499.00 ( I realize they are miles apart) or the Mavic 2 Pro which right now is $1,379.00 due to Black Fridays sale at DJI
I know they are not apples to apples but when will the Mavic 2 Pro be at that price again what with the tariffs
I thought about the Mini for a while and then move up but that price point on the Pro right know is making me lean to the Pro

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks
Pete
Might checkout @djidroneservice ... they’ll have deals and offer another $100 off to forum members using the discount code: mavicpilots 100

there is really nothing to compare between the two that you mentioned other than they are both made by DJI
it all depends on what you want from your drone, in terms of the amount of tech on board and what that tech means to you in use,ie how much of the advanced features you need
in terms of capabilities the mavic 2 pro wins hands down in all areas but at a considerable cost
on the other hand the new MM is a capable easy to transport flying camera with limited features for someone just starting in drones

really 2 different animals @ 2 really different pricepoints

so if u are interested in the mini flymore another vendor here FDS has them in stock I believe. our mini combos are already allocated

if you would like the M2P use mavicpilots100 forum exclusive coupon all yours for only $1279 (was $1729 yesterday!)

Hi and welcome to this forum. You mentioned that this will be your 1st drone purchase in your post. For how you plan on using your drone, it makes more sense to buy the Mavic mini and here is why...
Being that it’s your 1st drone there is a higher % chance of “user error” than some one with experience flying sUAVs. That being said, if something did happen to your drone $399 is a bit easier to swallow than even the Black Friday sale price of $1279 for a Mavic 2 pro. I’m just going off my own experience here, where I flew some toy drones before I took a class for using a drone commercially, flying Phantom 4 pro v2s. It was only then that I felt comfortable enough to justify purchasing the Mavic 2 pro with Smart controller this morning( taking the FAA part 107 in 2 weeks). Anyways, just my 2 cents here based on what you shared and my own experience. I wish you the best fore sure.
Blue skies from SoCal

Reactions: Mrmund and DDS
whatever you choose prob a good idea to buy it w/ the dji care plan

$39 on the mini & $159 on the pro

Sorry not trying to confuse you but we do have the DJI official refurb M2P @ $1179 if that helps w/ the coupon brings it down to $1079 still double the price of the mini and you don't get any spare batteries but also you get double the features

When I bought my Mavic 1 Pro which was my first drone it was easier in a way as there was no Spark, Air or Mini at the time so there was no choice for a small drone of similar capability and I've since upgraded to the Mavic Pro 2.

Having flown both a fair bit as well as had a shot of the smaller drones if I was buying for the first time again and had the choice, I'd still go for the Mavic 2 Pro. Its 1in sensor offers a noticeable dynamic range advantage if you process raw files and I prefer the MP2's controller for its stable Occusync connection and its own display. It is a lot more money to lose in a crash although I've not crashed either of my drones and not been close to crashing them either despite the MP1 being my first. When I first bought the MP1 I was cautious with it taking it to wide open areas to get lots of practice with the controls where it was safe and spent time reading through people's crashes to understand what went wrong and how to avoid a similar crash.

As others have said, it all depends on what you want from it. My use sounds similar to yours. Here are some of my videos. Honestly, until the Mini adds several important features for "guys like us," I'd take it off the list. The absence of (1) Follow Me and (2) control via the phone only (and/or Gesture mode), are terrible omissions in terms of "on the fly" ready access and portability. In my view, your better off with a Spark or if you want to step up from there, Mavic Air.

I might also be concerned that the Mini has no obstacle avoidance at all, particularly as a new drone operator.

Also, have you checked to make sure the places you want to fly are not in a DJI GeoZone? If so, you won't be able to fly the Mini there. There is a rumor that will change by the end of December but I'm not buying a drone that I cannot use based upon a rumor that I might be able to use it.

Just my $.02

If want a drone to use fishing etc, your gonna be experience wind changes daily, I wouldnt recommend the mavic mini for this terrain as its under 250g, its small and good chance its gonna lose control and end up in the lake or ocean, the mavic pro with get the job done for the price, In canada I bought this drone on sale (new) for $999., buy and extra battery on top $79, hope this helps

Reactions: Hauptmann
The Mavic Mini weighs less than one Mavic Pro 2 battery.

I've been flying the MP2 for just over a month, and I have never flown a better quadcopter. I recommend it, hands down.

The Mini has produced some impressive videos of flying in 15 mph wind and staying stable, but the battery life and motor life will surely be reduced if you fly it regularly in wind. Replacing batteries and motors is expensive.

If you're planning on flying in no- or light-wind days mostly, or flying indoors, the Mini is a great choice.

If you want a robust flying robot, go for the MP2..

Since this is your first drone, I would suggest purchasing a sub-$100 craft first, fly it for a month, crash it a million times, and then once you're confident in your skills, put a Mini or MP2 in the air.

Drone weight by itself doesn't control it's response to steady wind. Propulsion power does. Granted there is a general correlation between power and size/weight.

Weight would have a factor in response to changing wind though, since weigh provides inertial stability.

"Since this is your first drone, I would suggest purchasing a sub-$100 craft first, fly it for a month, crash it a million times, and then once you're confident in your skills, put a Mini or MP2 in the air."

That really depends on one's budget and how much tolerance one has to potential loss. To some, $500 it's like buying a loaf of bread. No big problem if it ends up spoiled for not eating it soon enough.
To others, $500 is a drastic amount to lose.

Since the M2P is included in the equation, the potential loss of a Mini is probably not a big concern so I wouldn't consider a sub $100 drone in this case.

Reactions: Flytelandon
"Since this is your first drone, I would suggest purchasing a sub-$100 craft first, fly it for a month, crash it a million times, and then once you're confident in your skills, put a Mini or MP2 in the air."

That really depends on one's budget and how much tolerance one has to potential loss. To some, $500 it's like buying a loaf of bread. No big problem if it ends up spoiled for not eating it soon enough.
To others, $500 is a drastic amount to lose.

Since the M2P is included in the equation, the potential loss of a Mini is probably not a big concern so I wouldn't consider a sub $100 drone in this case.
Love it “ crash it a million times” hahaha

which ever drone you get because you say your flying over water I would not get DJI refresh I would get Farmers Insurgence 60 bucks a year and your drone is covered if you lose it in the water, its not covered with DJI refresh unless you can get the drone back, which so many have said they couldn't get it back. Also I'd go with the bigger drone .

Reactions: Flytelandon
The $1079 refurb MP2 looks like a deal too good to walk past.

If your going to be in the hobby for a while and think you might want to move to the M2 you might as well do it first up.

Don’t fear the learning curve. All the DJI drones need virtually no skill to fly. If you have ever flown an RC aeroplane or heli you will probably laugh when you realise how ridiculously simple these drones are. The trick is understanding how they perform when something goes wrong. Start reading now.

It helps if you can go out with someone who is familiar with DJI drones and fly with them. DJI quads basically fly themselves...even the little Tello. The operating system is more difficult to learn than the more toy like drones. I'd venture to say more unfortunate incidents happen from lack of understanding how the operating system works. At least for me it was and flying with a friend and his Phantom gave me a head start in flying my MP.

And IMHO, I'd jump on an Mavic Pro before considering the Mini unless you need a travel drone that packs away easily. A MP fly-more can be found for around 800 bucks. The original MP is a great quadcopter other than being a bit dated. However if you have the cash, for about 500 bucks more the M2P is very tempting.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocko42