DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New in the Desert Southwest

SW_Drone_Guy

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello! This seems like a friendly forum. As a new owner of a Mavic Mini, I've already had several of my own questions answered by searching previous posts in this forum. Thanks.
I'm now flying on a Temporary Part 107 certification, having passed the test while wearing a face mask.
For me, flying drones will just be a hobby - but maybe I can find a way to make it pay for itself. If not, there are certainly more expensive and less fulfilling hobbies I could have chosen.
Thanks in advance for the hospitality you always show.
I'll be a good member, mostly just lurking and learning.
Here's a screen capture - a still frame (if you will) from a video. I never stopped taking video of these Bighorn Sheep, so I didn't get a photograph. Lesson learned.
Bighorn_Sheep_01.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Hi, and welcome to our Forum, from Hauptmann, in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

You picked a winner in the Mini. My friend enjoys flying his Mini more than he does his M2P, Phantom, or others (he has several). I flew his Mini for a few minutes. It really is a great machine!

You'll find a lot of help here as you progress as a pilot and photographer.

Glad to have you with us!

Hello! This seems like a friendly forum. As a new owner of a Mavic Mini, I've already had several of my own questions answered by searching previous posts in this forum. Thanks.
I'm now flying on a Temporary Part 107 certification, having passed the test while wearing a face mask.
For me, flying drones will just be a hobby - but maybe I can find a way to make it pay for itself. If not, there are certainly more expensive and less fulfilling hobbies I could have chosen.
Thanks in advance for the hospitality you always show.
I'll be a good member, mostly just lurking and learning.
Here's a screen capture - a still frame (if you will) from a video. I never stopped taking video of these Bighorn Sheep, so I didn't get a photograph. Lesson learned.
View attachment 103588
Welcome to the forum! I'm new to this hobby also with only about two dozen flights under my belt. I've been tossing around the idea of getting my Part 107 also. I have a friend who's a college professor in the aviation world, of which I'm retired from, and she's involved in a UAS project involving many UAV industry leaders. She told me I really should get my Part 107 sooner rather later due to changes that may be coming down the road. She couldn't elaborate on that at all. Happy and safe flying!

Welcome to the forum. You will find all sorts of support and assistance here. We look forward to seeing more of your view of the world.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the Forum! You will find a lot of great information here. Feel free to shoot us a message if you ever have any questions about your Mini!

I'm new to this hobby also with only about two dozen flights under my belt. I've been tossing around the idea of getting my Part 107 also...

Go for it! The exam was not difficult after studying online: using rules and regs directly from the FAA website and watching multiple YouTube videos. Airspace recognition and requirements was a big part of the test (I took) but I was ready, having watched several YouTube videos and concentrated my studies on the subject until I felt good about it. Note: I did run across some outdated info online, including in some of the YouTube videos, but the FAA website should have the latest info and that's where I always check facts. I chose not to watch older videos. While they may contain useful information, I didn't want mis-information cluttering my brain. LOL Taking the sample test from the FAA website was a confidence builder, once I was prepared for it. The 107 certification may not make one a better pilot, but it clarifies pilot responsibilities and takes the guesswork out of location planning, knowing if you can fly at a particular place and whether you need (LAANC) approval or not. I found the Bighorn Sheep in the image above in a MOA (Military Operations Area) which put me off at first, but I recalled what I'd learned (it's ok to fly but stay out of the way, sort of) and made the flight, keeping an eye out for aircraft and staying low. Now, if I get an opportunity to fly for hire or to sell some video or images, I can do it. Will that ever happen? I don't know, but I'm ready.

Go for it! The exam was not difficult after studying online: using rules and regs directly from the FAA website and watching multiple YouTube videos. Airspace recognition and requirements was a big part of the test (I took) but I was ready, having watched several YouTube videos and concentrated my studies on the subject until I felt good about it. Note: I did run across some outdated info online, including in some of the YouTube videos, but the FAA website should have the latest info and that's where I always check facts. I chose not to watch older videos. While they may contain useful information, I didn't want mis-information cluttering my brain. LOL Taking the sample test from the FAA website was a confidence builder, once I was prepared for it. The 107 certification may not make one a better pilot, but it clarifies pilot responsibilities and takes the guesswork out of location planning, knowing if you can fly at a particular place and whether you need (LAANC) approval or not. I found the Bighorn Sheep in the image above in a MOA (Military Operations Area) which put me off at first, but I recalled what I'd learned (it's ok to fly but stay out of the way, sort of) and made the flight, keeping an eye out for aircraft and staying low. Now, if I get an opportunity to fly for hire or to sell some video or images, I can do it. Will that ever happen? I don't know, but I'm ready.
Thanks for the info. I'm retired FAA/Air Traffic Control Operations Supervisor, so I'm sure a lot of the subject matter for the Part 107 test would be more of a refresher, such as the airspace classifications, MOA's, Warning Area's, MTR's, VR Routes, etc. I really have no plans of doing anything commercial with it, but I think it could be worth having that endorsement if I would ever happen to be confronted. Also, you never know when a commercial opportunity could present itself. I live in a small, mountain vacation town and you never know who could approach or reach out for an opportunity to make a little bit of money with it.

Thanks for the info. I'm retired FAA/Air Traffic Control Operations Supervisor...
I live in a small, mountain vacation town and you never know who could approach or reach out for an opportunity to make a little bit of money with it.

The Part 107 exam would be a breeze for you!
And you're exactly right about being able to take advantage of the certification to make a little money.
Also, using any photo or video you take from the drone to promote or benefit a business enterprise is considered "commercial" and would require you to be 107 certified.
For instance: If you take a nice photo of a resort in the mountains and sell it to the resort, that would obviously be a commercial use of that photo.
What if you trade that image for a "free night's stay?" Answer: Yep. Commercial.
What if you give it to them, no charge, is that commercial? Answer: If they use that photo (or video) in an ad or on their web page, then yes. It is then being used to promote their business and you would be required to be 107 certified - even if no money changed hands.
Also: If you make money or profit in some way from your YouTube channel, posting a drone photo or drone video footage on your channel would be considered a money-making use of that photo or footage. Commercial.
Now, here in the US the FAA hasn't (so far) been aggressively hunting down and fining offenders, but if you happen to be the one who gets a fine, you might not be terribly happy. :(
Cheers

Disclaimer: Nothing I say should be considered legal advice. My comments are made per my understanding of the current FAA regulations but may be faulty.
Comments anyone?

What if you give it to them, no charge, is that commercial? Answer: If they use that photo (or video) in an ad or on their web page, then yes. It is then being used to promote their business and you would be required to be 107 certified - even if no money changed hands.

Comments anyone?
I'm by no means up on all this but have seen this lots talked about here and i was of the thought if you took the picture just for you and gave them a picture after the fact and they used it you didn't have no issues if you were a hobbyist flyer.
Any any rate this isn't the section really to go into this but is all in this section. sUAV Rules & Regulations

The Part 107 exam would be a breeze for you!
And you're exactly right about being able to take advantage of the certification to make a little money.
Also, using any photo or video you take from the drone to promote or benefit a business enterprise is considered "commercial" and would require you to be 107 certified.
For instance: If you take a nice photo of a resort in the mountains and sell it to the resort, that would obviously be a commercial use of that photo.
What if you trade that image for a "free night's stay?" Answer: Yep. Commercial.
Also: If you make money or profit in some way from your YouTube channel, posting a drone photo or drone video footage on your channel would be considered a money-making use of that photo or footage. Commercial.
Now, here in the US the FAA hasn't (so far) been aggressively hunting down and fining offenders, but if you happen to be the one who gets a fine, you might not be terribly happy. :(
Cheers

Disclaimer: Nothing I say should be considered legal advice. My comments are made per my understanding of the current FAA regulations but may be faulty.
Comments anyone?

Your comments are accurate, with one clarification. When flying under the recreational exception, subsequent use/sale of the "nice photo of a resort" is allowed - provided that the intent of the flight at the time was purely recreational.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR