DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New iPads (including iPad Mini) announced

Hope your wallet is fat.
Looks like around 700.00 out the door

Hope your wallet is fat.
Looks like around 700.00 out the door

No - the entry-level Mini is $599 in Australia - so significantly less than that in the US - $399. For me, it represents the best of both worlds in terms of Drone RC screen and general purpose tablet.

It also has the A12 processor as well as a lot of other up-to-date features and capabilities - very powerful.

Reactions: JimJ and Desertdude
Ok - so now that we know the price of the "top of the range" iPad Mini I will suggest that the entry-level model (US$399) will do a sterling job for those who need an RC Screen, prefer to buy a new one with a full warranty, and don't want to spend a lot of money.

Ideal for owners of drones such as the DJI Spark, Mavic Air and Mavic Pro for which the Smart Controller is not compatible.

I’ve found that the resale value seems to be better if it has cell service.

Personally for the convenience I wouldn't use an ipad without cellular, no cellular = no onboard GPS. Absolutely necessary? No, but very handy. I already have enough variables when doing a job without hot spotting and or precaching and when you consider the price of the aircraft and all the other equipment required the extra for cellular is not a deal breaker for me. It's still well below the price of a 7.6 inch Crystal Sky and that doesn't have cellular either so it's good value from that angle.

I bought a 6th generation iPad to fly with as the iPad mini 4 was becoming marginal in it's capabilities depending on your applications. If the Mini 5 had been available then I would would have gone with it gladly.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: deleted member 877
BIG QUESTION: Will it fit the Mavic 2 controller? It has a slightly larger case size (8" wide)!

Someone’s preference for the less expensive model doesn’t work for everyone. I have always looked at both ends of the transaction.
Resale factor is a point to be considered when I buy anything.

Finally, the 4 hasn’t been up to the task for about a year. The downside is only 500 nits.
Will be available for substantially less in about six months, you’ve waited this long. ;)

Indeed it would be nice if the iPad screen was brighter - a hood is an obvious answer to that problem if you don't mind the hassle of setting it up.

For me, it's no problem because I always fly/take photos during the golden hours when the sun is low on the horizon.

BIG QUESTION: Will it fit the Mavic 2 controller?

Good question! I'll be interested to hear although using a 6th generation 9.7inch now I obviously use a mount myself (Lifthor)

Regards
Ari

Indeed it would be nice if the iPad screen was brighter - a hood is an obvious answer

Yes, To be honest the brightness factor is the only thing I find compelling about a crystal sky or smart controller, as it is as you suggest Pete I use a PGYTECH hood. Out of curiousity, North or South of Brisbane? Logan here.

Won't be an issue - it's the same height as the Mini 4 which is 203.2 mm (8")

Well, that answers that question :D

Regards
Ari

Hey Ari, I'm at Greenslopes which is about 5 minutes south of the CBD.

Ahh sweet, I'm about 20 minutes to the South. I've been invited to a meetup with ANZAJACK up at the North coast at some point. I'll shoot you a line when it happens in case you want to meet some other locals.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: deleted member 877

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580