DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Jersey flying OCNJ

Sterk

Reactions
I am trying to get some info about drone flying in Ocean City NJ. The last time I flew a drone there I had a Phantom 2 with a go Pro hanging from a gimbal so it was many years ago. I think the last time I was there the city had an ordinance that no drone flying allowed??? Fast forward and with the trust and the Lannc and apps I am looking at this area and I see no reason why you cant fly a drone over the beach as long as people are not where your flying. I see no posts about this area being off limits like a state park. Any info on updates to legal or illegal flying in OCNJ would be greatly appreciated.

Sterk03

From airspace and such you are good to go, unless like NYC they have an ordinance forbidding the use of drones in the city. In that case they cannot touch you on the beach below the Mean High Tide mark. Just avoid flying over people and any moving means of transportation.

I read someplace that they rolled back the restrictions that the town had made.

Just this past summer I flew my drone in a few locations in OCNJ and didn't run into any trouble. On the beach at sunrise, there were a couple of other drones in the air also.

I’ve flown there recently obviously it was off season. Like I do when I fly in other beach towns I just use best judgement, stay away from crowds, fly in the morning or at dusk, get my shots and go on my way.

For sure!
Great video hard to tell how high you were at times and camera's make it look different. Some looked over streets but again hard to tell. Yes I’ll stay over land I almost lost a Phantom 2 with Go Pro ready to head out over water and it took a crashing dive turning and would have been ugly over water. It seems a small crack developed by one of the blades and then vibrated until cracking the frame . It repaired and flying again so all is well . Thanks for the info I will give it a try. I want to get some sunrises and sunsets so beach will not be crowed.

Thanks

Sterk03

I live just outside of Ocean city and fly at the beach all the time. No regulations against it and never had anyone complain.

I agree. It was just strange that I got a restricted area warning when I approached the pier, Not even over it and not really that close. Another day I got a lost of control of the drone at about the same distance from the pier.
You do have to be aware of the C-130's making a circle turn for approach which brings them over the Pier but much higher and also the Choppers going down the beach very low. Great views.

Thanks

Sterk03

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada