DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New law

dirtfishingman

Reactions
I'm new to drones. I seen there is some new law about remote id that I seen pop up but really didn't understand.

I'm looking to either get the mm2 or the air 2 and wondering if this new law will effect my decision.

Can someone shed some light on it. Im in the USA

THANKS

I think you're wondering about the new Remote Id for drone traffic management? It will use bits of new tech to broadcast Id and position, cellular data to increase range, ADS-B receivers to detect and avoid piloted aircraft, and an Internet-based system to run it all. The FAA is revamping its ancient air traffic control systems and will be working the drone traffic management system into it.

Google on 'FAA NPRM Remote Id' to see the notice of proposed rule making issued late last year and the intense discussion about it. We expect the new rules sometime in 2021, with systems going in place sometime after, and manufacturers building the new tech into drones. Operators who get certified and pay into the system can operate their drones autonomously beyond visual line of sight for delivery, inspections, mapping, surveys, and to help first-responders working a fire or other incident.

Meanwhile, the FAA has been issuing waivers from Part 107 and 135 for operators who can prove they have the infrastructure to operate drones safely beyond VLOS. Google Wing in Christiansburg VA was the first, Zipline, UPS Flight Forward with MatterNet drones, a few others, and more recently Amazon Prime Air have been issued waivers and have working prototypes. Most are waivered from Part 107 Small UAS rule to fly beyond VLOS at 400 feet or lower. UPS and Amazon are waivered from Part 135 Air Taxi, the same rules that apply to my ancient commercial pilot certificate, and I suspect they'll be wanting to operate big 'logistical drones' at higher altitudes on airways and mix it up with piloted aircraft at airports.

As proposed, drones not equipped with the new tech or not using it to may fly only within VLOS and a max distance of 400 feet. Should you get your Air 2 or MM 2 you've got 3+ years to use it as you do now. VLOS for either of these smallish drones is about 400 feet for me so it wouldn't be much of a limitation if we're flying legally.

If I'm wrong about any of this, or missed some recent development, I hope this reply will get us an answer from somebody who knows better...

I think you're wondering about the new Remote Id for drone traffic management? It will use bits of new tech to broadcast Id and position, cellular data to increase range, ADS-B receivers to detect and avoid piloted aircraft, and an Internet-based system to run it all. The FAA is revamping its ancient air traffic control systems and will be working the drone traffic management system into it.

Google on 'FAA NPRM Remote Id' to see the notice of proposed rule making issued late last year and the intense discussion about it. We expect the new rules sometime in 2021, with systems going in place sometime after, and manufacturers building the new tech into drones. Operators who get certified and pay into the system can operate their drones autonomously beyond visual line of sight for delivery, inspections, mapping, surveys, and to help first-responders working a fire or other incident.

Meanwhile, the FAA has been issuing waivers from Part 107 and 135 for operators who can prove they have the infrastructure to operate drones safely beyond VLOS. Google Wing in Christiansburg VA was the first, Zipline, UPS Flight Forward with MatterNet drones, a few others, and more recently Amazon Prime Air have been issued waivers and have working prototypes. Most are waivered from Part 107 Small UAS rule to fly beyond VLOS at 400 feet or lower. UPS and Amazon are waivered from Part 135 Air Taxi, the same rules that apply to my ancient commercial pilot certificate, and I suspect they'll be wanting to operate big 'logistical drones' at higher altitudes on airways and mix it up with piloted aircraft at airports.

As proposed, drones not equipped with the new tech or not using it to may fly only within VLOS and a max distance of 400 feet. Should you get your Air 2 or MM 2 you've got 3+ years to use it as you do now. VLOS for either of these smallish drones is about 400 feet for me so it wouldn't be much of a limitation if we're flying legally.

If I'm wrong about any of this, or missed some recent development, I hope this reply will get us an answer from somebody who knows better...
Thanks for sharing ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC