DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New M2P member from N. FL USA

JDJohnson

Reactions
Greetings from N. FL. I have flown my new Mavic 2 Pro about 20 hrs to date .

I am looking to do aerial photography from a height of about 30 feet over particular small structures (2-3 feet high). I am also preparing for the CFR 107 license at this time.

One question I am encountering right off the bat is flying waypoints under controlled conditions. I will be flying between A and B (~300' apart) taking a snapshot every x feet in order to capture a 60% forward overlap between snapshots as suggested in aerial photography articles - likewise the return route requires both a 60% forward overlap as well as a 30% overlap on the adjoining rows.

I am guessing that this technique might be best served by flying at a constant speed of ~2.5-3.5 mph. The option of taking a snapshot every x seconds (a partial solution I have read about) may work if I can specifically control the speed of the drone. This is a brief summary of my first major challenge. Laying out the grid line and taking waypoints manually will likely be required which is ok since this only requires accurate and square markings which doesn't take too long to do. I have a lot of research to do but thought I'd describe the primary reason why I purchased the Mavic 2 Pro.

Looking forward to future discussions re: problems and issues as well as new insights into handling these flying cameras professionally.

JD Johnson
Gainesville, FL, USA

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! ? Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Greetings!

Welcome to the forum :)

DroneDeploy and MapsMadeEasy both create automatic grids to make your life a LOT easier. I'm sure other programs will as well.

You may also want to spend some time over in our "Commercial" forum Commercial Drone Pilots Forum

Safe Flights,
Allen

Welcome to the forum :)

DroneDeploy and MapsMadeEasy both create automatic grids to make your life a LOT easier. I'm sure other programs will as well.

You may also want to spend some time over in our "Commercial" forum Commercial Drone Pilots Forum

Safe Flights,
Allen
Thank BigA107 - after I write this intro I started running into several avenues of mapping strategies. Looking forward to sharing my experiences here once I'm up and running and know what I'm doing for the most part.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching. Thumbswayup

Greetings from N. FL. I have flown my new Mavic 2 Pro about 20 hrs to date .

I am looking to do aerial photography from a height of about 30 feet over particular small structures (2-3 feet high). I am also preparing for the CFR 107 license at this time.

One question I am encountering right off the bat is flying waypoints under controlled conditions. I will be flying between A and B (~300' apart) taking a snapshot every x feet in order to capture a 60% forward overlap between snapshots as suggested in aerial photography articles - likewise the return route requires both a 60% forward overlap as well as a 30% overlap on the adjoining rows.

I am guessing that this technique might be best served by flying at a constant speed of ~2.5-3.5 mph. The option of taking a snapshot every x seconds (a partial solution I have read about) may work if I can specifically control the speed of the drone. This is a brief summary of my first major challenge. Laying out the grid line and taking waypoints manually will likely be required which is ok since this only requires accurate and square markings which doesn't take too long to do. I have a lot of research to do but thought I'd describe the primary reason why I purchased the Mavic 2 Pro.

Looking forward to future discussions re: problems and issues as well as new insights into handling these flying cameras professionally.

JD Johnson
Gainesville, FL, USA
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura