DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 2 Pro - controller wont charge

QuattroPilot

Reactions
Have had several flights with new M2P, everything has been working great until today. Went to go charge the controller like always have and nothing. No charge indicator, wont respond, nothing.
Controller works fine still and connects to iphone as usual, dji app works fine. Controller just wont take a charge.
Tried 2 cables, same result. What can i try next?

From what I read, you should be charging at the port on the left side . . . and with nothing plugged into the bottom usb. Please try that.

From what I read, you should be charging at the port on the left side . . . and with nothing plugged into the bottom usb. Please try that.

That is the only side i charge it from. I meant that i tried charging with 2 different cables...both from that left side.
I've never had anything plugged into the bottom USB.

Uh-oh! Have a very close (magnifying glass type close!) look at the micro-USB -A port on the side of the controller, and check it out ...
USB-micro-A-B.png It is a Type-A micro-USB which means that the 'standard' micro-USB-B plug with the angled edges can fit this - BUT - it can only do so one-way-round! If you push a micro-B plug into that socket the wrong way round, the slot that accepts the fragile connector-tongue is on the wrong side, and it is pushed sideways and breaks off at the base!

side-port.jpg I've attached a pic' of my controller port. If you can't see the same connector tongue in the middle of the metal rectangle, or - if with the tip of a needle, you can move the tongue about - then you have broken the connector and will have to get it replaced to enable you to charge the controller again.

For future reference, this happens a lot! Get yourself a 'reversible' micro-USB cable to charge your controller and you never have to worry about breaking it again ...

I hope I'm wrong - but otherwise, you will need to do some DIY surgery on the controller, or pass it on for repair.

In addition to what Fox sez above (and yes, there are too many types of connectors), there is history of that port going faulty (search these forums for many horror stories of people having to send in relatively new remotes for repair, because it's not an easy user-fix).

It sounds like you use the side port not just for charging, but also when flying.

Because of the reports I read on these forums, soon after getting my Mavic, I switched to flying using a cable connected to the bottom USB port only. I save the side port for charging only AND treat it like a baby when I do.

However, you say "connects to iphone as usual" and flies, so I'm not sure if you have a damaged port. I would follow the 'magnifying glass type close' advice first.

Then use the bottom port anyway after this is resolved.

Chris

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Thanks guys I tried all the tricks and inspected the port with a magnifying glass. I've worked in Tech for many years so I'm very familiar with how fragile usb-c and usb mini can be. I have always been very careful with the charge port, never had any issues with it until now when it simply just stopped responding.
I've tried every trick in the book and it simply wont charge, it will do everything else except charge. Its certainly an internal hardware issue so I'm sending it back.

I have started a repair ticket with dji since its still under warranty, sending the controller back today. Pretty frustrating a $2k drone is already having issues like this.

Have had several flights with new M2P, everything has been working great until today. Went to go charge the controller like always have and nothing. No charge indicator, wont respond, nothing.
Controller works fine still and connects to iphone as usual, dji app works fine. Controller just wont take a charge.
Tried 2 cables, same result. What can i try next?
check the connections

In addition to what Fox sez above (and yes, there are too many types of connectors), there is history of that port going faulty (search these forums for many horror stories of people having to send in relatively new remotes for repair, because it's not an easy user-fix).

It sounds like you use the side port not just for charging, but also when flying.

Because of the reports I read on these forums, soon after getting my Mavic, I switched to flying using a cable connected to the bottom USB port only. I save the side port for charging only AND treat it like a baby when I do.

However, you say "connects to iphone as usual" and flies, so I'm not sure if you have a damaged port. I would follow the 'magnifying glass type close' advice first.

Then use the bottom port anyway after this is resolved.

Chris
How do I change charging port from microUSB to USB on Mavic 2 ... looks as if my brother's microUSB is damaged from faulty connection attempts ... using the lower USB might solve the problem. How to change? Thanks,

How do I change charging port from microUSB to USB on Mavic 2 ... looks as if my brother's microUSB is damaged from faulty connection attempts ... using the lower USB might solve the problem. How to change? Thanks,

You can't charge the controller from the bottom, unfortunately you will need to get the controller repaired. FYI you can buy the "button board" on amazon and do it yourself. I wish I had known that before sending my controller to DJI and being without it for almost a month.

Once you get the controller repaired, get a magnetic usb-c cable from amazon, it will save that port big time.

Quattro Pilot:
What exactly do I enter on Amazon to find the button board for the M2P remote (RC1A)?

Something like this one, although I can't verify this exact seller but this is what the board looks like. There's a youtube video out there too, should be an easy google search.

I’m in the same boat. My new/used Mavic 2 Pro just came in and I can’t get it the charge.

So I guess I’m sending it to DJI. Any tips or tricks before I do?

The screen is a little scratched so I may have that replaced as well.

= No charge indicator, wont respond, nothing.
Controller works fine still and connects to iphone as usual, dji app works fine. Went to go charge the controller like always have and nothing. No charge indicator, wont respond, nothing.
I've a Smart Controller but this sounds similar. Whenever an attempt to charge a fully charged Smart Controller, even a week later, no charging lights light up. However, on starting Smart Controller, it shows fully charged. What does yours show after starting?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos