DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 2 Zoom Pilot

WahooBadger

Reactions
I am a fixed - wing AMA RC pilot who recently joined the ranks of Mavic 2 Zoom owners/pilots. I have downloaded and read the manual, found a great site with lots of additional tips and info, and done a lot of practice flying in the wide open spaces of my RC club field. I have done a couple waypoints missions - very cool capability - at 50 meters to avoid all trees and other obstacles.

I am taking some overhead photos for a local nonprofit animal rescue organization - pro bono as I am a strictly recreational pilot - to help them with some site planning for future expansion. I wanted to get one shot that included the entire facility, but 400 feet altitude would not do it. I have read the thread on flying above 400 feet and seems it should not be an issue, all I want to do is pop up to 1200 feet, grab the pics, and drop back down. But when I checked on the b4ufly app, it tells me there is a Military Training Route 2.64 miles from where I plan to do this. Does this have any impact on what I want to do? There are no airports within 35 miles of the location.

There are two other Mavic 2 pilots in my club - between them and the wealth of information here, I hope to avoid a visit to the "crash and recovery" thread :cool:

Yes flying above 400" is a issue and being what you say you are you should know that.
Not being smart about it just saying.
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

I believe there are ways to get waivers. I don't know anything about them other than that. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable can chime in.

Welcome aboard though!

mikeg

I believe there are ways to get waivers. I don't know anything about them other than that. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable can chime in.

mikeg
That’s when you summon @BigAl07 .?

I am a fixed - wing AMA RC pilot who recently joined the ranks of Mavic 2 Zoom owners/pilots. I have downloaded and read the manual, found a great site with lots of additional tips and info, and done a lot of practice flying in the wide open spaces of my RC club field. I have done a couple waypoints missions - very cool capability - at 50 meters to avoid all trees and other obstacles.

I am taking some overhead photos for a local nonprofit animal rescue organization - pro bono as I am a strictly recreational pilot - to help them with some site planning for future expansion. I wanted to get one shot that included the entire facility, but 400 feet altitude would not do it. I have read the thread on flying above 400 feet and seems it should not be an issue, all I want to do is pop up to 1200 feet, grab the pics, and drop back down. But when I checked on the b4ufly app, it tells me there is a Military Training Route 2.64 miles from where I plan to do this. Does this have any impact on what I want to do? There are no airports within 35 miles of the location.

There are two other Mavic 2 pilots in my club - between them and the wealth of information here, I hope to avoid a visit to the "crash and recovery" thread :cool:
Why not just take several photos from 400’ and stitch them together in post!
...even though 2.5-3 miles seems like a long distance to the military route you mention there is only a few seconds USAF flight time to your proposed location and if they are supersonic you won’t hear them until after they pass. Plus if they are practicing combat maneuvers they will be as low as 50-100 feet at times. Take the safe method.

With due respect to those above who quote chapter and verse of FAA regs, there may be a way for you to meet your objective.

Phone the base field mgr and the tower at your destination. Explain what you want to do. If they have no ops planned in your area, chances are they will give you the go-ahead, and maybe even issue a NOTAM to alert other air traffic in your area. The worst thing they can do is say no. If they do say no, by all means, stay under 400'.

You might be surprised how friendly and cooperative the US Mil bases are.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but flying for anything other than pure recreation/hobby is not allowed as a recreational pilot; you will need your Part 107 for this. Compensation/non-profit has nothing to do with the regulation.

Sorry to rain on the parade here.

Hi WahooBadger Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
Why not take multiple photo’s and stitch them together.
Three times the height limit is pushing things a little far don't you think ;)
I have already thought of doing something like that, and I think there is some way to do a panorama too, but I am SO new to all this and am only beginning to learn the capabilities of the Zoom. Thanks for the suggestion!

Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of support and assistance here in the forum. We look forward to seeing your part of the world.

Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but flying for anything other than pure recreation/hobby is not allowed as a recreational pilot; you will need your Part 107 for this. Compensation/non-profit has nothing to do with the regulation.

Sorry to rain on the parade here.
Thanks for the input! Earlier today I read a long thread on this topic and still came away a bit uncertain. If I walk around my neighbor's house and take photos and give them to him, and then later he finds out I have a drone and asks me to take some drone photos for him, the only real difference is the camera taking the photos. But I'm going to avoid the whole issue, leave my drone maxed out at 120 meters, and try to find some great subjects for photo/video here in central Virginia.

Thanks for the input! Earlier today I read a long thread on this topic and still came away a bit uncertain. If I walk around my neighbor's house and take photos and give them to him, and then later he finds out I have a drone and asks me to take some drone photos for him, the only real difference is the camera taking the photos. But I'm going to avoid the whole issue, leave my drone maxed out at 120 meters, and try to find some great subjects for photo/video here in central Virginia.

The issue is ‘the intent’. If the intention is to fulfil a request then you need your Part 107.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent