DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 2!!

m0j0

Reactions
Ok,

So I finally bit the bullet on a new Mavic 2 Pro. I was torn on a few things.. #1) NEW OR USED: I was considering on buying a used kit. I just sold my 2 1/2 year old Mavic to a Friend and considering the great shape it was in when I sold it to him I thought I might try to find a used M2P. Nope too worried I might get a lemon from someone else I bought a new one through Amazon. #2) SMARCONTROLLER or CRYSTAL SKY: I did buy mine with the Smartcontroller. I was leaning toward the Crystal Sky but decided against it because I just want to have a solution that is easiest. I am leaning toward buying a second hand transmitter for the times I need to go with the lightest setup. Pretty excited about the new display. I am about sick and tired of flying without being able to see what I am doing. Worst case scenario I use it don't like it and return it.

Smart controller option is a good one.

Very nice compliment to the MP2.

My only issue is the loss of the controller screen. And single point of failure of screen on SC. So far there seems to be very few QA issues with the SC.

Crystalsky option gives you the use of the small screen in case of an issue with the CS monitor.

Paul C

Reactions: mereflyer
Really interesting points of view on the board.

I look at it a little differently. I flew my Mavic for 2 1/2 years and don't think I ever used the telemetry other than training for what to do when the app crashed. When i used my Mavic Mount the transmitter telemetry was not visible. I won't miss the telemetry on the TX because I never saw it anyway.

I actually look at the SmartController as eliminating failure points. I have had cables cause me issues. Either from using a cord that wasn't working properly or a cable that came out. Then you introduce the multitude of problems that comes up with using your phone as a display. Incoming msgs, calls etc. Yes you could put it in airplane mode but then you have missed calls. Even when everything lined up I didn't enjoy the constant losing battle with the sun. Never could figure that out without adding a sunshade, which is now making this whole apparatus unbalanced and a pain in the *** and yet another thing I had to add to the setup. Crystal Sky would be ok but then again I'm back to cables and mounts again. One of the main reasons I swapped from the Mavic to the M2P was the SmartController. I really hope I am not disappointed. I will let you guys know soon. Bird Arrives Wednesday.

Hi
Two questions
1. Do you have other drones then Mavic2. If so SC do not work with other drones

2. Are you using any other app to fly your drone like Litchi or Autopilot
If so you are not going to be able use SC for these apps you will use
Only Go4 app

Good luck

Hi
Two questions

Only Go4 app

Good luck

The smart controller SDK will be released in the next week or so and Litchi and autopilot etc will then be able to release versions with smart RC support. So 3rd party apps will work just fine.

If you purchase the remote without the screen, and buy a CRYSTALSKY monitor you can fly using the CRYSTALSKY and when you want to go extra light use your mobile phone.
Not for me. I wanted 1 device, no cables, no holders to carry etc. SMARTCONTROLLER checks all the boxes for me. Will see if I like it.

The smart controller SDK will be released in the next week or so and Litchi and autopilot etc will then be able to release versions with smart RC support. So 3rd party apps will work just fine.

I hope you are right and it will happen
Then I will be vary happy person
I have SC from the moment it was released
And I am dreaming to have Litchi on it

Thank you for good news

Hi
Two questions
Yes I have owned about 10 different primary birds got rid of everything Yuneec and Autel. I currently have 3 DJI products. Yes I know the controller won't work with them. I bought the controller to work with the M2P and next Phantom. I am a traveller. I have trips planned to Jamaica, Aruba, Costa Rica, Holland, France, Mexico, Caymen Islands and the Bahamas this year. I want one setup that is self contained that can be setup quickly. I don't want to be dragging around mounts, velcro, suction cups, cables, displays, sunshades, extra display batteries nothing. SMARTCONTROLLER super quick very compact. No cables and internal storage for quick shares.

Only Go4 app

I have Litchi and autopilot, but I really didn't plan on using it with the M2P. This kit seems absolutely perfect for my needs. Will see how it performs. if it doesn't perform as expected it's going back. From reviews of people that have it though that seems pretty unlikely. I am picky though.

That's a good thing. That's a deal breaker for some.

Yes I have owned about 10 different primary birds got rid of everything Yuneec and Autel. I currently have 3 DJI products. Yes I know the controller won't work with them. I bought the controller to work with the M2P and next Phantom. I am a traveller. I have trips planned to Jamaica, Aruba, Costa Rica, Holland, France, Mexico, Caymen Islands and the Bahamas this year. I want one setup that is self contained that can be setup quickly. I don't want to be dragging around mounts, velcro, suction cups, cables, displays, sunshades, extra display batteries nothing. SMARTCONTROLLER super quick very compact. No cables and internal storage for quick shares.

I have Litchi and autopilot, but I really didn't plan on using it with the M2P. This kit seems absolutely perfect for my needs. Will see how it performs. if it doesn't perform as expected it's going back. From reviews of people that have it though that seems pretty unlikely. I am picky though.

Hi

Definitely you will like SC
Very easy and quick to use
Also very comfortable in hands
I love it

Hi

Definitely you will like SC
Very easy and quick to use
Also very comfortable in hands
I love it
That is exactly what I want. Now I actually want to fly and see if my experience is better. I can't stand the constant sundance trying to get to a spot where I can see what is actually going on. Aside from the convenience I hope this mitigates the glare problem.

That is exactly what I want. Now I actually want to fly and see if my experience is better. I can't stand the constant sundance trying to get to a spot where I can see what is actually going on. Aside from the convenience I hope this mitigates the glare problem.

SC has very bright display
You are not supposed to have any problems
With sun

Good luck

Not for me. I wanted 1 device, no cables, no holders to carry etc. SMARTCONTROLLER checks all the boxes for me. Will see if I like it.
One 6" cable, one controller, one mobile phone weighs?
0ne smart controller, one mobile phones weighs?
Mobile phone can be used for emergency.
I think I know which is smaller and lighter and easier to pack.
But then it is your choice.

Having used both the smart RC and mobile phone, I can say that the smart RC is a better experience. It is super bright even in sunlight, no hassles with cables, etc. and soon with the SDK it will be able to happily run Litchi.

I don’t know if I would pay $650 for the experience, but if you purchase the M2 pack with the smart RC, I would say it’s worth the benefits you get with it.

I have both controllers and use an iPad Mini4 with one. I’ve been using this display for years, even with my Phantom. I love the SC for its simplicity and Display and only one thing to charge up.
Once they come out with a way to configure the sticks, it’ll be my favorite.

You didn't read my entire post. I want a setup for travel and I wanted to get away from using my phone. I want to use my phone for communications while I'm travelling. I got burned on my last vacation using up battery flying the Mavic. I am also tired of doing the sun dance and I don't want to carry a shade. So my choice for a display was CRYSTAL SKY or SMARTCONTROLLER. Like I said I don't want to carry a tablet holder, cables, extra display batteries, display.... SMARTCONTROLLER is the absolute best choice for me. Unless it is glitchy, has disconnects and is not an improvement on my Iphone I think it's a home run. Getting it with the M2P also brought the cost down. Add to that, I will likely be able to use it with my next Phantom. Thumbs up.

Having used both the smart RC and mobile phone, I can say that the smart RC is a better experience. It is super bright even in sunlight, no hassles with cables, etc. and soon with the SDK it will be able to happily run Litchi.

I don’t know if I would pay $650 for the experience, but if you purchase the M2 pack with the smart RC, I would say it’s worth the benefits you get with it.
Yeah I got it bundled with the M2P. Was going to get the Smartcontroller or the CRYSTALSKY. Smartcontroller actually came out less than adding the CRYSTALSKY.

I have other birds but I really wanted a one stop shop setup. I did get the SmartController. I bought a used standard transmitter on Ebay as a backup. So I'm all set. Waiting for the gear to arrive on Wednesday.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom