DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 3 noise while flying

Skyhawk441er

Reactions
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if any other Mavic 3 pilots could help me. I recently purchased a Mavic 3 OG (bought 3 weeks before they announced the pro so I am a little peeved about my timing), but I have an issue that I noticed while flying it the other day. Anytime I do a tight maneuver such as a hard acceleration or brake, I hear a metallic twang or ratcheting sound. This is my first DJI as I was mostly just Autel before this and none of those made any such noise. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this noise as I am worried that perhaps I have a bearing going bad in one of the motors or there is some minor motor rub when doing a maneuver. During hover or slow flight there is no unusual noise, and I did a hand check of all motors and didn't notice anything abnormal. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum from sunny SoCal.
At the speed those props are turning I would think you would only hear the noise once, then you would be looking for your drone. Any marks, scratches? hope all is well with your drone/

My Mavic 3 Classic has made that sound as well, very rarely, its the exact same sound that that the P2 motors and early versions of the P3 (that used the same motors as the P2) made regularly. I noticed it more when it was brand new but now that it has a few hours on it I haven't heard it in quite awhile. Definitely a bearing noise. If it gets worse I'd contact DJI. Mine is fine now, maybe just part of the break in process.

I am hoping that it is simply a break-in process. It flies just fine so far but I would hate for it to be a bearing that is out of spec that will seize up after a while. I recorded a video and you can definitely hear it, although it sounds more like a light squeal or squeak in this video since I couldn't really throttle up too hard that low to the ground (especially in my yard since I have a few trees to watch out for. Below is the link to the video via OneDrive, I will probably send the video to DJI customer service as well to get their opinion on it.

Thanks!

I am hoping that it is simply a break-in process. It flies just fine so far but I would hate for it to be a bearing that is out of spec that will seize up after a while. I recorded a video and you can definitely hear it, although it sounds more like a light squeal or squeak in this video since I couldn't really throttle up too hard that low to the ground (especially in my yard since I have a few trees to watch out for. Below is the link to the video via OneDrive, I will probably send the video to DJI customer service as well to get their opinion on it.

Thanks!
I can hear it, barely. But then I know the sound to listen for. And I was the same as you when I first heard my brand new Mavic 3 make that sound. I was like, Geez just my luck to get one with a bad bearing. But like I said It disappeared after some use. I'm not concerned anymore. I wouldn't worry about it unless it persists and/or gets louder.

Just to help put your mind at ease, I have a Phantom 2 Vision + and I did have an early Phantom 3 Pro, that I bought used and have since sold, both with the same motors and they both have always made that sound and have never had a motor failure after years of flying. It's annoying to listen to but never caused any flight issues. Probably why I wasn't too concerned when I heard my Mavic 3 make the noise. And it disappeared after a few flights.

Just to help put your mind at ease, I have a Phantom 2 Vision + and I did have an early Phantom 3 Pro, that I bought used and have since sold, both with the same motors and they both have always made that sound and have never had a motor failure after years of flying. It's annoying to listen to but never caused any flight issues. Probably why I wasn't too concerned when I heard my Mavic 3 make the noise. And it disappeared after a few flights.
Thanks for the peace of mind. I will just keep on flying and monitor it to ensure it doesn't get any worse. Thanks again!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica