DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Air 2 Experience

alanj49

Reactions
I went out this evening for the first time with my Mavic Air 2, and overall it was a positive experience. What took a bit of time was getting used to the change of menus when you get into flight, but after a while that was not a problem. I did find that some of the touch areas were a little insensitive, maybe it is my stubby fingers but sometimes it took a couple of stabs on the control before it reacted. The camera & Gimbal worked well and I got some good images. What surprised me the most was at one time I was in an area where it would be difficult to land the drone, so I got it into position whereby I could pick the drone out of the air, I tried to pull it down a bit and the drone fought against me and would not let me pull it down from where it settled. I then just got hold of it and pulled the control sticks down and killed the motors. The drone was quite responsive to stick controls and I did not notice any lag. Contrary to some reports I was getting about 34 minutes of flight time with each battery, but what annoyed me a little was that after cancelling the first RTH I did not give me an option after that, and with 3 minutes of flight time left it came back home. I was only flying a short distance away so those 3 minutes could have been used productively. Overall my first reaction is positive and my confidence has increased.

Last edited:
I went out this evening for the first time with my Mavic Air 2, and overall it was a positive experience. What took a bit of time was getting used to the change of menus when you get into flight, but after a while that was not a problem. I did find that some of the touch areas were a little insensitive, maybe it is my stubby fingers but sometimes it took a couple of stabs on the control before it reacted. The camera & Gimbal worked well and I got some good images. What surprised me the most was at one time I was in an area where it would be difficult to land the drone, so I got it into position whereby I could pick the drone out of the air, I tried to pull it down a bit and the drone fought against me and would not let me pull it down from where it settled. I then just got hold of it and pulled the control sticks down and killed the motors. The drone was quite responsive to stick controls and I did not notice any lag. Contrary to some reports I was getting about 34 minutes of flight time with each battery, but what annoyed me a little was that after cancelling the first RTH I did not give me an option after that, and with 3 minutes of flight time left it came back home. I was only flying a short distance away so those 3 minutes could have been used productively. Overall my first reaction is positive and my confidence has increased.
I can cancel/ignore/override any RTH and any landing attempts before 5%, so you should be able to do the same.

Last edited:
Wow, I would highly suggest you do a lot more reading before you fly again. You made some glaring mistakes that will come back to bite you before too long. Please, for your own sake, read the entire manual. It’s only available online. There is a lot of information in there that will help you have a safe flying experience.

Are there settings in the DJI fly app that allow RTH settings to be adjusted? I am not familiar with those settings. Is that in the Go App?

Are there settings in the DJI fly app that allow RTH settings to be adjusted? I am not familiar with those settings. Is that in the Go App?
Go 4 app and Fly app are mutually exclusive. MA2 can only be flown with the Fly app and the RTH and fail safe responses are all adjustable within the Fly app.

expand...
Need to change your low battery settings to the lowest options. I can override any RTH and any landing attempts before 5%.

This is not a dji fly app option...yet.

This is not a dji fly app option...yet.

If it isn't in the app (can't confirm, but you may be right, as I fly with both apps), then the MA2 is already preset to allow canceling smart RTH, and prevent RTH and autolanding, until you are ready to return and ready to land. I regularly land with 5-10% remaining battery, and have never had it turn around on me, or land until I was ready to land.

It is highly recommended to NOT fly when your battery have less then 10% of remaining capacity or even more.

Last edited:
Not sure if bottom sensors on MA2 can be turned off, but hand catching with the bottom sensors is on is like herding cats. I have an M2P.

It’s only available online. There is a lot of information in there that will help you have a safe flying experience.
But it's a PDF. you can save it to your phone. as AMRE said.
Don't try to snatch it..that won't work..if you let it descend into your hand you can then get a good grip on it for the rare case when it fight's back.

It is highly recommended to NOT fly when your battery have less then 10% of remaining capacity or even more.
Why?
As long as you know what you are doing and how it behaves, it won't harm anything. Voltage per cell is still well above 3.6V.

But it's a PDF. you can save it to your phone. as AMRE said.
Don't try to snatch it..that won't work..if you let it descend into your hand you can then get a good grip on it for the rare case when it fight's back.
Grabbing it from the side seems to work best, as it can't "see" you because of no OA on the sides.

Why?
As long as you know what you are doing and how it behaves, it won't harm anything. Voltage per cell is still well above 3.6V.
There is a common opinion that it will shorten your battery life and it is one of the reason for swelling.

There is a common opinion that it will shorten your battery life and it is one of the reason for swelling.
That common opinion is fallacious. It does neither. Swellings are from defective battery manufacture, age, and excessive storage in high heat. Battery flight time degrades with use, but the battery life almost always exceeds the life of the aircraft. Most aircraft are replaced or upgraded long before the batteries fail. I've never had a DJI battery fail that was not taken down below 3.0V per cell, which only happens after at least two minutes of flight, after reaching 0% remaining battery. 0%-10% is fine. DJI builds in plenty of extra capacity below what they have labeled 0%.

Reactions: MGVision
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22