DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New mavic air 2 owner

Gazza8374

Reactions
hi
I've just taken my first step in to the world of drone flying,and I'm wanting to start my journey flying but where can I get to fly my air 2.

I live in Leeds,ls5 3pw i am right at the far end near the hawksworth estate park I know its close to lba.
My question is will I be able to setup and test at home in the garden or will I need to do this at a safe location. The white dot is my location.
Thanks guys.

GazzaScreenshot_20200519-083927_AirMap.jpg

Last edited:
Morning. Legally, (unless you have a very big garden), then no - you're not supposed to fly there. That said. I generally text stuff out in my garden but keep the drone lower than the garden fence.

I'm near Selby, and tend to go out to farmers fields to mess about.

Reactions: mithatrone
Hi mate thanks for the advice,is there any safe fly zones in and around Leeds

I've just checked DJI's map - and you won't be able to take off in your garden (DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography) as you're in the takeoff and landing path of Leeds Bradford Airport (even though it's currently not running).

I don't really know Leeds very well, so can't help. If you use the map above it'll show where you can/can't take off. But, be mindful that places like public parks are a no-go, and anything owned by the National Trust, or English Heritage (so, places like Harweood, Castle Howard etc) are also out.

It's rural where I live, so when I don't fly for work I tend to stick to farmland.

If you haven't already - check the drone code for the legals of flying Drone code - Dronesafe

Reactions: GarryB69
welcome to the forum

Reactions: Lastrexking
Hi, and welcome.

I don't know Leeds either, but the back garden is useful for some set up testing such as calibrating the compass etc. Also, practising take off and landing. I really wouldn't try to fly indoors, although I have been known to hover in the lounge to fiddle with camera settings.

If you do try and take off where you live, the area may be geofenced and it simply won't fly.

It doesn't have to be sweeping downs, ancient woods or spectacular coastline for your first flight, but somewhere that's got open skies and open ground - maybe a bit of something to look at. First time you will be getting used to the controls and how it flies, so avoid any form of obstacles - especially trees. Me and them things have history..... I tend to use a local park as my testing ground. But avoid people, animals and especially dogs.

Over water is good (unless it's a nature reserve). That sound like a leap of faith, as when I first had a cheap drone I didn't trust the flipping thing over land, let alone to keep out of water. But as you will have seen from the footage online, DJI products are a completely different beast. The advantage of over water is that there are no people or trees. Just keep above the surface of the water by a margin of a few meters as the downward senors may get confused by water. Also make sure your take off point is inland by several meters, as if it decides to initiate a RTH (return to home) and the take off point was next to the drink that's slightly scary. Landing accuracy is excellent, but to be safe make sure you allow some space. Regarding birds, I live by the coast and my observation is that they are often close to the water to look for fish. A lot of my footage has birds flying below me. Opinions differ re how to avoid birds, but flying high has worked for me.

But as we are now allowed to travel, and the weather is good maybe find a location and have a go. Let us know how you get on!

Reactions: Gazza8374
Hi mate and thanks for the Advice ?? I know that owning a great drone like the dji mavic air 2 comes with great responsibility as with any drone and with this my first one you just don't realise what it involves,even though I'm itching to get flying i want it to be a safe and pleasant experience and under the right conditions.
Once again thank you for taking your time to reply ?
Gazza

Hi mate and thanks for the Advice ?? I know that owning a great drone like the dji mavic air 2 comes with great responsibility as with any drone and with this my first one you just don't realise what it involves,even though I'm itching to get flying i want it to be a safe and pleasant experience and under the right conditions.
Once again thank you for taking your time to reply ?
Gazza

Well, for what it's worth you have made the right choice.

My first drone was a cheap toy grade thing that blew around and got stuck in a tree. No wind resistance whatsoever. My second one had GPS, but no form of obstacle avoidance, so although it was on course, it couldn't see the tree it was heading towards, it was out of radio control and that was the last I saw of it. Then I went for DJI.

With the drone you have, it's going to avoid most obstacles. It is very stable in wind - just hover in a breeze, watch what the drone is doing, and watch the footage coming back.It could be dancing around like a cat on a hot tin roof, but the image will be steady. Occusync is brilliant, and will give you good control withing the line of sight (and further). Your first flight will be very much more rewarding than my early attempts with the crappy cheap things.

Heathland even within the town is good too, as very often there aren't other people there apart from the odd dog walkers. I always make a point of keeping it away from dogs. The owners always appreciate that!

Just avoid trees!

It's a friendly forum and people will always answer with good advice.

Last thought. If you haven't registered with DJI care I really would give this serious consideration. OK, it doesn't cover absolutely every eventuality but it should cover most incidents in normal use. I was flying round a pole on the top of a hill, and got too close and hit it. It fell out of the air in kit form, but DJI replaced it.

Oh, and always check the camera is recording - I keep missing that bit!

Last edited:
Well, for what it's worth you have made the right choice.

My first drone was a cheap toy grade thing that blew around and got stuck in a tree. No wind resistance whatsoever. My second one had GPS, but no form of obstacle avoidance, so although it was on course, it couldn't see the tree it was heading towards, it was out of radio control and that was the last I saw of it. Then I went for DJI.

With the drone you have, it's going to avoid most obstacles. It is very stable in wind - just hover in a breeze, watch what the drone is doing, and watch the footage coming back.It could be dancing around like a cat on a hot tin roof, but the image will be steady. Occusync is brilliant, and will give you good control withing the line of sight (and further). Your first flight will be very much more rewarding than my early attempts with the crappy cheap things.

Heathland even within the town is good too, as very often there aren't other people there apart from the odd dog walkers. I always make a point of keeping it away from dogs. The owners always appreciate that!

Just avoid trees!

It's a friendly forum and people will always answer with good advice.

Last thought. If you haven't registered with DJI care I really would give this serious consideration. OK, it doesn't cover absolutely every eventuality but it should cover most incidents in normal use. I was flying round a pole on the top of a hill, and got too close and hit it. It fell out of the air in kit form, but DJI replaced it.

Oh, and always check the camera is recording - I keep missing that bit!
Thank you once again great advice ? ?,I'm 46 and I'm like a little kid at Christmas.
Yes I have the dji care that was a must have because you never know.
For me its not about zipping through the sky at 40mph its about being able to look at the world no matter where you are and to just enjoy it,slow and steady.
Thanks again
Gazza

Thank you once again great advice ? ?,I'm 46 and I'm like a little kid at Christmas.
Yes I have the dji care that was a must have because you never know.
For me its not about zipping through the sky at 40mph its about being able to look at the world no matter where you are and to just enjoy it,slow and steady.
Thanks again
Gazza

Hi Gazza,

I agree. For me, I wanted a drone with a decent camera so I could put together interesting snapshots of a place I visit. I've always been interested in aerial photography, and now I can do it too! You can get some great stills as well as video.

Just seeing something zip around the sky seems utterly pointless to me.

I often have it in the van and shove it up in the air if there is something I think might mace a good picture. This one is Sturminster newton in Dorset where we parked the van for a sandwich, and it was foggy below, but sunny above. Not a lot has been done to it in photoshop - mainly cropping.

crop 5.jpg

This is Corfe Castle one day when the sun just burst out of the rain for a few minutes.
DJI_0001.JPG

I could go on............

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest