DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New mavic air 2 pilot.

Reactions
Hello everyone. I'm familiar with dji phantom drones. Not so much when it comes to getting better videos and pictures with cameras in general. I'm currently trying manual settings. Iso, white balance, shutter speed.... I have the Ma2 fly more so I have nd filters. It seems like no matter what filter I try and shutter speed if I change shutter speed to get rid of the overexposed warnings the image is too dark and I cant even fly from the screen.

Try the following EXPOSURE PROCEDURE::

BUT FIRST:
  • Put the ND filters aside for a bit. You first want to figure out basic exposure first. ND filters are not designed to "fix over exposure". Forget that notion.
  • Do not fly yet ether.
EXPOSURE PROCEDURE
  1. With everything turned on, point the camera at something that is brightly lit by the sun.
  2. Put the camera on full AUTO exposure
  3. If you are still getting over-exposure warning, then lower the EC (Exposure Compensation) dial to negative values until the warnings go away.
  4. You now have proper exposure. You might want to pick up the drone and point it at a few other brightly lit things to be sure you don't get more warnings. If you do, adjust the dial more to compensate.
  5. NOW: turn off AUTO exposure and try the same thing with MANUAL exposure (or do what most of us do and use a semi-auto mode, like APERTURE or SHUTTER PRIORITY mode)
  6. Adjust the shutter and/or aperture to what seems to work to get rid of the over-exposure warnings.
  7. NOW FLY. If while flying, you get more over-exposure warnings, use the EC dial to compensate — that's what it's for.
ND FILTER PROCEDURE (now that you understand the exposure procedure)
  1. Put on an ND filter. Which one you chose will come from experience, but the number of stop filter you chose should correlate to the shutter speed you are trying to achieve for cinematic look (see WHY ND below)
  2. Adjust exposure : see EXPOSURE PROCEDURE above, because it's the exact same thing. Putting on ND filters does not change this at all. The filters give you a slower shutter speed for reasons other than exposure (see WHY ND below), but you still want to use THE SAME exposure procedure to get the same PROPER EXPOSURE.
WHY ND:
  1. ND Filters DO NOT exist for you to fix over exposure or to tame bright sun.
  2. ND filters give you the ability to reduce the amount of light going through your lens so that you can use a slower shutter speed, to get that cinematic look (details for how to achieve 'that look' are available with a casual search of these forums)
  3. If you didn't know about the cinematic look and you really are not interested in achieving it, then put your ND filters away. Return them if you are within you return period.
Chris

Greetings!

Try the following EXPOSURE PROCEDURE::

BUT FIRST:
  • Put the ND filters aside for a bit. You first want to figure out basic exposure first. ND filters are not designed to "fix over exposure". Forget that notion.
  • Do not fly yet ether.
EXPOSURE PROCEDURE
  1. With everything turned on, point the camera at something that is brightly lit by the sun.
  2. Put the camera on full AUTO exposure
  3. If you are still getting over-exposure warning, then lower the EC (Exposure Compensation) dial to negative values until the warnings go away.
  4. You now have proper exposure. You might want to pick up the drone and point it at a few other brightly lit things to be sure you don't get more warnings. If you do, adjust the dial more to compensate.
  5. NOW: turn off AUTO exposure and try the same thing with MANUAL exposure (or do what most of us do and use a semi-auto mode, like APERTURE or SHUTTER PRIORITY mode)
  6. Adjust the shutter and/or aperture to what seems to work to get rid of the over-exposure warnings.
  7. NOW FLY. If while flying, you get more over-exposure warnings, use the EC dial to compensate — that's what it's for.
ND FILTER PROCEDURE (now that you understand the exposure procedure)
  1. Put on an ND filter. Which one you chose will come from experience, but the number of stop filter you chose should correlate to the shutter speed you are trying to achieve for cinematic look (see WHY ND below)
  2. Adjust exposure : see EXPOSURE PROCEDURE above, because it's the exact same thing. Putting on ND filters does not change this at all. The filters give you a slower shutter speed for reasons other than exposure (see WHY ND below), but you still want to use THE SAME exposure procedure to get the same PROPER EXPOSURE.
WHY ND:
  1. ND Filters DO NOT exist for you to fix over exposure or to tame bright sun.
  2. ND filters give you the ability to reduce the amount of light going through your lens so that you can use a slower shutter speed, to get that cinematic look (details for how to achieve 'that look' are available with a casual search of these forums)
  3. If you didn't know about the cinematic look and you really are not interested in achieving it, then put your ND filters away. Return them if you are within you return period.
Chris
Thanks. I would like to learn more about photography to take nice looking pics and videos. So is the mavic air 2 camera fairly good for a flying camera?

Since I have the mavic air 2 I can get the 3 month adobe trial. It asks me to choose between adobe lr and Photoshop or premiere pro. Which one shod I go with? I would like to work with videos and photos.

Since I have the mavic air 2 I can get the 3 month adobe trial. It asks me to choose between adobe lr and Photoshop or premiere pro. Which one shod I go with? I would like to work with videos and photos.
Neither of those do both stills and video.

But you could probably get a stand-alone photo editor for less money than a video editor; so myself, I would probably chose the Premiere Pro trial. After the trail, you could decide to get Premier Elements, if you don't want a subscription.

For photography, I do the PS/LR Photographer's plan (about $10US a month).

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580