DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Air 2?

Just held my Mavic Pro in my hand upside down as on the latest picture and size seems to be almost identical. Maybe it is a replacement for the Mavic Pro instead of Mavic Air and maybe the Mavic Air will fall out of the product line as the space between Mavic Mini and the new one is too small for a further model.

Last edited:
Assuming this leak to be true, I see three highly welcome changes. Battery mounts on top (no more flipping the AC upside down to just switch it on), props that promise to be less loud, and a top mount for the tablet/phone on the remote controller (but I am not sure I like anything else in that remote - it looks toyish). Also, I really liked the distinctive look of the MA, now it looks like any other mavic. Hoping for more leaks soon :)

Mod Merged threads.
Finally! Some really exciting DJI news today as we show you leaked images of what must be the new DJI Mavic Air 2. This new drone in the DJI Mavic lineup is rumored to be introduced in April this year. As you can see in the photos, the drone looks very similar to the DJI Mavic 2 series.

Update: New photo shows rear obstacle avoidance sensors.

Breaking news: DJI Mavic Air 2 photos leaked
Just now these photos of what must be the new DJI Mavic Air 2 were leaked by our good old friend OsitaLV on Twitter. The original DJI Mavic Air was launched in January of 2018 and has been overdue for a replacement.

The first thing that stands out is how much this drone resembles the design of the DJI Mavic 2 series. However, do not be fooled, this is not the new and almost certainly delayed DJI Mavic 3 Pro. No, this is the new DJI Mavic Air 2. Let’s take a closer look at the images and see what we can learn.

First off, the design, colors, and materials used very closely resemble the DJI Mavic 2 series. This is a smart move on DJI’s part. The DJI Mavic 2 series is a very sturdy and well-built drone. Why would you not leverage those strengths into the DJI Mavic Air 2?

The DJI Mavic Air 2 has the same silent props as the DJI Mavic 2 series.

Underneath, on the belly of the aircraft, we find a number of sensors. Again very similar to the DJI Mavic 2 series. We see an LED light, as well as the dual vision system, infrared sensing system and the Bottom Auxiliary Light assists the downward sensors in low-light conditions. All seem to have been carried over from the DJI Mavic 2 series. Underneath the drone we also see the name MAVIC displayed.

The gimbal and camera setup seems to be the same design as we know from the DJI Mavic 2 Pro, although looking closely at the photos, it seems to be a smaller sensor size. It does not seem to be a one-inch sensor. No surprise here really.

Although not much is known at this point in terms of specs, it does seem that the DJI Mavic Air 2 will have 360-degree obstacle avoidance. A new photo shows two sensors on the back of the unmanned aircraft as well.

Last year, DJI announced that all drones weighing more than 250 grams would include ADS-B In that allows the drone to pick up nearby manned aircraft assuming that they are equipped with ADS-B Out. when such an aircraft is detected, a warning will be communicated via the DJI Go 4 app to the pilot in control. The DJI Mavic Air 2, it seems, will be the first DJI consumer drone outfitted with ADS-B In capability.

Let’s take a look at the controller. This one is very different from the original DJI Mavic Air controller. It roughly has the same shape as the DJI Smart Controller, sans the display. Furthermore, this time around it seems that instead of mounting your smartphone to the bottom of the controller, your device would now be connected at the top. That seems to be a much more intuitive location.

On the remote controller we see a function button, return home button, a switch for tripod, normal and sport mode, an on/off switch, a video/photo button and four battery status indicator lights. It seems that there will be more toggles and buttons at the top of the remote controller and possibly at the bottom as well.

DJI Mavic rear sensors

Last edited by a moderator:
Those pictures I agree look to be too big for an "Air 2". The appeal of the Air was to pack a punch with the features (more than a Spark/Mini) while still being a significantly smaller form factor than a full size Mavic.

To take the Air out of the lineup I don't think would be in their best interests for having a model in each area of the market. Although the Mavic Mini is better in spec than the Spark, the reported lack of wind resilience is what lets it down.

Might be a partially biased comment as I have an Air, but at the time the portability of the Air over the Spark with folding arms and 3-axis v 2-avis gimbal, and the smaller size of the Air over the Mavic Pro also won me over. I didn't care much for 4k video, etc.

I guess in short, the form factor for the Air plays a huge part in it's appeal, to make a bigger or smaller one would compromise it's coverage for those like myself wanting something small/portable but also want some robustness.

Those pictures I agree look to be too big for an "Air 2". The appeal of the Air was to pack a punch with the features (more than a Spark/Mini) while still being a significantly smaller form factor than a full size Mavic.

To take the Air out of the lineup I don't think would be in their best interests for having a model in each area of the market. Although the Mavic Mini is better in spec than the Spark, the reported lack of wind resilience is what lets it down.

Might be a partially biased comment as I have an Air, but at the time the portability of the Air over the Spark with folding arms and 3-axis v 2-avis gimbal, and the smaller size of the Air over the Mavic Pro also won me over. I didn't care much for 4k video, etc.

I guess in short, the form factor for the Air plays a huge part in it's appeal, to make a bigger or smaller one would compromise it's coverage for those like myself wanting something small/portable but also want some robustness.

Agreed - looks way too big to be an Air 2. At that size I would just buy a Pro.

These pics are sketchy AF, too. Looks ike someone ran off with the drone and took the pics in a broom closet or something. Could just be a prototype.

I chose the Air because it was a good compromise between the mini drones designed for the instagram crowd and the full size high quality drones. I wanted to shoot high quality video but I wanted to be able to stow away the drone in a daypack and travel with it or take it along on hikes, biking/ski trips, etc. I really don't think that's a small segment of the market so I'd be surprised if they dropped the air from their lineup.

Can you explain that?
I only know how it applies to people with an A2CofC in that (as below from UAV Hub) the new CE requirements state that drones have to have a low speed mode that can be activated form the remote.

C2 Class Aircraft with an A2 CofC
You’ll be able to fly down to 30m of uninvolved people, or down to 5m if the aircraft has been switched to a low-speed mode with a C2 class aircraft.
C2 class aircraft need to have less than a 4 kg MTOM, be ‘safely made’ as determined by EU manufacturer standards, it needs noise limitations, a remote ID and a form of geo awareness.
It also needs a low-speed mode which limits the maximum speed of the aircraft to 3 m/s (approx 6.7 mph).

Reactions: TDZHDTV
Anyone else notice the seam lines on the rear arms? Hollow like the mini?

Reactions: TDZHDTV
If that's the new Air, it's very disappointing from a design point of view. It's ugly. I loved that the current Air had it's own look, and it's a really nice one at that. And, what's with all the grey?
Everything DJI make now is grey....

This one confuses me. Controller seems to cheap to be a replacement for a Mavic 2 Air or Pro. The camera also looks like a downgrade from the current Pro2, even the Air’s 4K camera. It looks too big for an Air or Mini replacement.

Trying to figure out where this will be positioned....

Z

Having seen these pics I prefer my Air. It's a pity DJI can't make the current Air compatible and offer a new controller as I would be more willing to pay for that than purchase the drone in the pics. I realise it is likely too cost prohibitive etc but surely it would only be down to a new PCB, software update and a compatible controller. I like the Air for the size and portability, also it does everything I need.

I agree with the other folks here. I bought my Air instead of a Pro 2 simply because I could put it and the controller in two of the lens pockets of my photography backpack. This thing looks way too big for that.

And at least as bad is the size of that controller!. That thing looks to be about the same size as my Air controller when folded open. The Air is supposed to be more portable than that.

On the plus side, I do like the folding propellers. I have never figured out why the Air didn't have folding props. Full circle sensors would also be good. Something similar to Ocusync would be awesome, even though I haven't had interference issues yet, I figure that will happen at the worst possible time.

I'll stick with my MA. Not worried about folding props. From the pics, looks like MA is going negative in appeal and quality. Just my point of view. .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica