DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Air crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimhewitt99

Reactions
Third time in air about 10 ft altitude over lawn in hover mode. Decides to spiral down full power not touching anything. Android Samsung 8+ phone. It happened two more times at low altitude, no damage as it landed in grass in my front lawn. Final time and 3rd at 102 ft altitude and in hover mode again. This time as I clicked to take still photo it immediately spiraled down and hit gravel in my parking area at 50mph. This time damage big time. Exact time I clicked the photo button.
Saw YouTube from Drone Valley and Rick explained that there were some issues with Android especially when over 50% full. Mine is 90% full. I sent in on Refresh program Tuesday.
I reviewed flight logs and there was no accidental moves on remote, totally in hover and only action was clicking button to take photo.
I bought a new IPad mini 5 three days ago and will dedicate it only to DJI Mavic Air. Have smart remote for my Mavic 2Pro which will not bind with MA.
I flew it 52 total times keeping it close as I didn’t trust what might happen. Everything great except for times I just described.
Experienced Cessna pilot and also experienced in drones as well as 30 yrs RC model experience. I am thinking Android being full and no real space left was problem. Reason I purchased IPad Mini 5.
Any thoughts??
Jim

Yea sure would like to see what SAR see's in your logs. Doesn't seem reasonable that just because your phone is near full that is going to cause your drone to crash. I think more likely just go into hover or auto land mode or something. If your device being full is a problem I think there would be warnings from DJI or other people telling about this problem. Please [post logs.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Yea sure would like to see what SAR see's in your logs. Doesn't seem reasonable that just because your phone is near full that is going to cause your drone to crash. I think more likely just go into hover or auto land mode or something. If your device being full is a problem I think there would be warnings from DJI or other people telling about this problem. Please [post logs.
Logs show no action on my part, no reason to post them.

I am just curious if anyone else has experienced Android connection problems. That is my question. Thanks for replying!

Saw YouTube from Drone Valley and Rick explained that there were some issues with Android especially when over 50% full. Mine is 90% full.
I am thinking Android being full and no real space left was problem.
Lots of things you see on Youtube are completely untrue.
If Mr Drone Valley said that, he's got no idea what he's talking about.
I am just curious if anyone else has experienced Android connection problems. That is my question.
Lots of people on any operating system have connection problems for various reasons but that doesn't cause their drone to crash
Logs show no action on my part, no reason to post them.
NTSB plane crash investigators don't ignore all available evidence and go with a hunch that something improbable they saw on youtube might explain a crash.
The first thing they want to look is the recorded flight data to see exactly what happened rather than what someone thinks might have happened.
If you are interested in finding out the truth of your incident, the data is the place to start.

Watch Drone Valley YouTube piece on this subject, Rick spends quite a bit of time on this Android potential connection problem. Due to large size app of DJI Go 4 it can create problems on android devices especially if space is compromised and my phone is packed with apps too. I have to delete to add anything. Another reason I bought new IPad mini 5 and only dedicating to Mavic Air. This is my only question is if anyone else has had this happen. There is some talk about this subject according to Rick. He is an engineer and does know what he is talking about unlike 80% on YouTube that have no clue!

Last edited:
Reactions: gefret
Lots of things you see on Youtube are completely untrue.
If Mr Drone Valley said that, he's got no idea what he's talking about.

Lots of people on any operating system have connection problems for various reasons but that doesn't cause their drone to crash

NTSB plane crash investigators don't ignore all available evidence and go with a hunch that something improbable they saw on youtube might explain a crash.
The first thing they want to look is the recorded flight data to see exactly what happened rather than what someone thinks might have happened.
If you are interested in finding out the truth of your incident, the data is the place to start.
DJI has them.

Again, I only ask this question if you have no answer please do not reply. I sent everything to DJI already. No reason to post flight logs on here to answer my question. Please no replies unless you have had similar issues. Thanks for your concern.

Watch Drone Valley YouTube piece on this subject, Rick spends quite a bit of time on this Android potential connection problem. Due to large size app of DJI Go 4 it can create problems on android devices especially if space is compromised and my phone is packed with apps too. I have to delete to add anything. Another reason I bought new IPad mini 5 and only dedicating to Mavic Air. This is my only question is if anyone else has had this happen. There is some talk about this subject according to Rick.
I looked but couldn't find which of his many videos has this.
Again, I only ask this question if you have no answer please do not reply. I sent everything to DJI already. No reason to post flight logs on here to answer my question. Please no replies unless you have had similar issues. Thanks for your concern.
The only answer anyone can give you without any data is ...
But the app doesn't fly the drone. The controller does.
An app crash does not crash the drone.

If you want help post data.
DJI will give you very little explanation (if any).
You could get good help here and quickly.

If you don't want to post data you don't want help and will only get a few people making guesses that could be very wrong.

I think part of providing a flight log and getting someone to analyze it here is that other Mavic air owners can be aware of it too. So they don’t have to wait till their MA crashes so they can let you know they crashes theirs too. This is a community and we try to help each other and learn more about our drones.

Please no replies unless you have had similar issues. Thanks for your concern.

I’m not sure you understand how Internet forums work, or why people need to see your logs. What they’re asking for are not the logs you see in the app but the detailed data logs that show what was going on with the aircraft. Without that nobody is likely going to be able to help you.

I was afraid this would happen, almost didn't ask the question. Again my question is to the members of this forum simply asking if anyone else had this issue and knew something about MAYBE the android was flawed. Thats all! No other BS

I’m not sure you understand how Internet forums work, or why people need to see your logs. What they’re asking for are not the logs you see in the app but the detailed data logs that show what was going on with the aircraft. Without that nobody is likely going to be able to help you.
DJI has them as I sent aircraft back in new refresh program. Only had it 9 days and had 3 different situations with this happening. They are sending a new Mavic Air. I wouldn't have a clue how to put them on here anyway.

DJI has them as I sent aircraft back in new refresh program. Only had it 9 days and had 3 different situations with this happening. They are sending a new Mavic Air. I wouldn't have a clue how to put them on here anyway.

This was explained to you in literally the first response (post #2). There are people here (not me) who could, in all likelihood, tell you exactly what went wrong, but not without that data.

Anyway, have a nice night.

Reactions: Donnie
I was afraid this would happen, almost didn't ask the question. Again my question is to the members of this forum simply asking if anyone else had this issue and knew something about MAYBE the android was flawed. Thats all! No other BS
Unless you post the complete logs then nobody can actually say they have the same issue. At best, they'll be guessing based on your assertion that what you stated is accurate. As was already pointed out, the app does not fly the drone, the controller does. You can unplug your phone and continue to fly.

Reactions: Simmo and dawgpilot

The logs are on your phone, not on the drone. They might be helpful to others.

As others have said, the controller is what actually flies your drone, not your phone. You can literally unplug your phone and your drone won't crash.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and Simmo
I got my mavic air 3 weeks after it was released. I used my Galaxy S5 with it, then switched to a 5.5" Crystalsky, which is Android based. Twice my CS froze, and both times the MA returned to my location without issue.

There was a post a few weeks back, I believe on the Mavic Air Help thread, where a pilot crashed his MA while taking a panoramic pic. The flight computer locked up.

Again my question is to the members of this forum simply asking if anyone else had this issue and knew something about MAYBE the android was flawed. Thats all! No other BS
It doesn't matter if "the android is flawed", that doesn't cause a drone to fall from the air.
Whatever the cause of your incident was, it's not what you've fixated on, but looking to find what was the cause could provide helpful information.
That's no BS.
But your responses so far are giving the impression that you really aren't interested to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun