DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Air pilot in Vancouver

VancityS4

Reactions
Well, I bought a Mavic Air and got my Basic Pilot Certificate a few days ago. Very excited to try it out so, using the map in GO to avoid restricted areas, picked a large construction site that was deserted on the weekend. Had some fun, didn't crash and got some basic video. Very impressed!

Today, I looked at Airmap and the NAVCAN drone map and found out I was flying illegally. Controlled airspace around Vancouver on Airmap and NAVCAN is MUCH larger than on the GO map. Luckily, nobody was around except a father/son with an RC car and they were cool with it.

Would be nice if the GO map reflected the actual controlled airspace, and not just the basic distances from airports, etc. I "thought" I was doing everything right only to find out I could have been in for a big fine on my first flight. Just a caution to other newbies out there that you can't rely on GO to let you know where you can legally fly. For those in Vancouver, ALL of Vancouver/Richmond is a no fly zone (without special permission). North Shore (and further North), and Burnaby (and further East) are much more open.

DJI map on the left, NAVCAN map on the right
DJI map.jpg NAVCAN map.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hauptmann
Welcome to the forum glad your using your head b4 flying we need more of that in the hobby..

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Congratulations on the Mavic and the pilot's license!!!

Welcome to the forum! :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio