DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Air User Contoller Issues

MW3Designs

Reactions
Been flying my old Phantom 3 Standard for a while now, and just picked up a new to me Mavic Air. Excited to try it out, I had to download the DJI Go 4 app, and followed all the onscreen prompts for connecting the Mavic Air. Everything seemed good to go except nothing happened when I hit the joysticks on the controller. Seeing the red light I thought something was up, and found a quick YouTube video for connecting the controller. Now this is the weird part….. whenever my controller is connnected the wifi on the Mavic shuts off so I am not connected to the DJI Flight App….. The seller did not include the wire for the phone, so I don’t know if that would fix things or what. I am new to the Mavic Air, and any help would be appreciated.

did you try connecting the controller and phone via a normal USB to phone data cable via the big USB socket between the swing out arms, as shown around 0:48 in
?
If you manage to find replacement side cables try to get the little rectangular frame/slider that fits around the phone plug. I find it a great assistance when connecting the phone.
On the other hand some people hate them.

Your new Mavic Air can be operated i 3 ways ...

1. With a mobile device connected with a usb cable to the RC ... & the RC connected to the Mavic Air.

2. With only your mobile device, connected over WiFi directly to your Mavic Air ... and operated by virtual joysticks in the GO4 app. No RC is used with this method ...

3. Without both RC & mobile device ... your Mavic Air is instead operated by hand gestures.

Your way, trying to connect the mobile device to the Mavic Air with WiFi & operate it with the RC isn't applicable & will not work ... the red led on the RC means that it isn't connected to the Mavic Air.

If you are missing the short small original usb cable intended to be seated to the left side usb micro port on the RC ... you can instead use an ordinary full size high speed usb cable & attach it to the bottom usb port on the RC ... & the other end to your mobile device.

Also recommend you to read the full downloadable user manual ... get it here --> https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic Air/20180525/Mavic Air User Manual v1.2.pdf

Reactions: KB9Radio
Thanks for the info and manual link! Got the cable today, and the controller connected with no issues.

Now, here’s the bad…. I ordered new propellers from Amazon along with the cable, and in mid flight one of the props destroyed itself and sent my Mavic air into a unrecoverable situation. It slammed directly into the side of my house and then straight to the ground… Worst of the damage is a bent prop shaft, which I will have to replace the whole arm/motor assembly. I have flown hundreds of hours on my Phantom and never once did I crash…. I’m starting to think this Mavic Air is cursed.

Also, where can I get a set of OEM propellers? I did not see them on DJI website?

... I ordered new propellers from Amazon ...mid flight one of the props destroyed itself and sent my Mavic air into a unrecoverable situation.
As props & batteries are really flight critical you should avoid going with 3:rd party brands there ... we have seen numerous of incidents with "Amazon props" here at the forum. Using 3:rd party for other less flight important equipment, like extension legs, ND filters, LED beacons & similar will usually not make your Mavic Air a falling rock if they fail... so save your money there instead.

Also, where can I get a set of OEM propellers? I did not see them on DJI website?
As the Mavic Air is a discontinued model both props & batteries can be hard to source ... the only 3:rd party prop I could recommend is Master Airscrew Stealth ... get them here if you can't find OEM --> DJI Mavic Air STEALTH Upgrade Propellers - x4 Black

I just ordered the new stealth props for my air. The Mavic air is wicked noisy , don't know how much these new props will quite it down but Im hoping

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji