DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic - IMU calibration hangs up and does not complete

Dragonfly1

Reactions
I am operating on the Phantom P3P theory which recommended calibrating a new unit, and the IMU calibration doesn't seem to complete. It's been going for 20 minutes now, which seems like a LONG time to me. Similar problem with firmware update. Not sure what to do about it ... any suggestions would be welcom.

I am operating on the Phantom P3P theory which recommended calibrating a new unit, and the IMU calibration doesn't seem to complete. It's been going for 20 minutes now, which seems like a LONG time to me. Similar problem with firmware update. Not sure what to do about it ... any suggestions would be welcom.

20 minutes is too long. Stop what you're doing & don't try it again until everything cools down completely. Do the IMU calibration in an area away from any interference as soon as you restart it after the cool down.

Try the Firmware update using the DJI assistant if you're having problems.

20 minutes is too long. Stop what you're doing & don't try it again until everything cools down completely. Do the IMU calibration in an area away from any interference as soon as you restart it after the cool down.

Try the Firmware update using the DJI assistant if you're having problems.

Got it ... thanks. It was my own fault ... I didn't fully understand the proper orientation and positioning for the steps. Not good at yoga, either.

Only reason ud want to do an IMU calib is if u had an excessive hard knock or crash

radio magnetic interference doesnt effect IMU calibration.
do it at home on the coffee table.

Sure you know this, but you let it sit on its own, in the various orientations.
some people try and hold it vertical or perfectly straight as in the picture, and
wonder why mavic is flying crazy

I do IMU calibrations after firmware updates. Call me an-al.
I usually leave it in an air con room for 20minutes. The colder, the better but just make sure you don't get condensation.
Make sure you take off the gimbal clamp and props.

Like i said before, unless u had a heavy crash or your drone is flying at a weird angle you dont need to calibrate the IMU ever. If the IMU is off, the drone wont even take off. The IMU is basically the gyroscope that works off the data coming from the motion sensors in the drone. It measures innertia on the drone. Even on flight systems like ARDu, NAVIo and Pixhawk you dont have to go wack on the sensors. They are usually affected after a crash. This could cause a hang state in the sensors as one or more of the sensors get locked up. Hence they need to be calibrated. In all of my 6 years of drone flying, ive had to recalibrate an IMU once on a Phantom 2

Reactions: Dragonfly1
Those IMU meters are there for a reason. If everything is reading low and in the green there's no reason to do an IMU calibration again.

Those IMU meters are there for a reason. If everything is reading low and in the green there's no reason to do an IMU calibration again.

I did cold calibrations on my P3P. Did seem to help when flying on cooler days. I'm going to take it slow and steady with the Mavic, and I appreciate all opinions and tips!

I figured that the whole process of shipment and delivery involved at least one hard knock!
Nope... The IMU needs power to be active. Its an electronic sensor... Think of the switch as a bowl filled with small bit of mercury. But the sensor active state only works when it receives power. The bowl gets a magnetic charge and the mercury affects the charge thus sending data to the flight controller. Trust me shipping movements does not require IMU recalibrations at all.... As the drone is not powered when shippes

Reactions: Dragonfly1
Nope... The IMU needs power to be active. Its an electronic sensor... Think of the switch as a bowl filled with small bit of mercury. But the sensor active state only works when it receives power. The bowl gets a magnetic charge and the mercury affects the charge thus sending data to the flight controller. Trust me shipping movements does not require IMU recalibrations at all.... As the drone is not powered when shippes

This is another one of those topics with LOADS of conflicting information, sadly. There are too many in this hobby. thanks for the reply ... will make for some interesting reading when I am snowed in here in NY next week. :)

This is another one of those topics with LOADS of conflicting information, sadly. There are too many in this hobby. thanks for the reply ... will make for some interesting reading when I am snowed in here in NY next week. :)
Its all good. Ive been building drones for 4 years using everything from ARDU Pilot, Pixhawk and NAza flight systems. Im going by my past experience and 7 odd drone built from scratch all still operating. There might be conflicting views, but there is also good practice rule, which i prefer to use. Like i said ive never EVER had to recalibrate an IMU except for one heay crash of a PH2 after the IMU gave erratic readings

I have a Mavic and have tried to follow the instructions to download Assistant 2 on my ipad but for some reason I can't find the System folder to properly get Assistant 2 to work.

My main problem and the reason for doing this is because I get a SYSTEM warning that says "DOWNWARD VISION SENSOR CALIBRATION ERROR: PRECISION HOVERING AND LANDING PROTECTION MAY FAIL. RECALIBRATE VISION SYSTEM BY USING DJI ASSISTANT 2 OR USE DJI GO FOR URGENT ISSUE.. I also tried GO and couldn't fine where to recalibrate.

So that's my problem and I don't know how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Jkarl
Seymour , TN

I have a Mavic and have tried to follow the instructions to download Assistant 2 on my ipad but for some reason I can't find the System folder to properly get Assistant 2 to work.

My main problem and the reason for doing this is because I get a SYSTEM warning that says "DOWNWARD VISION SENSOR CALIBRATION ERROR: PRECISION HOVERING AND LANDING PROTECTION MAY FAIL. RECALIBRATE VISION SYSTEM BY USING DJI ASSISTANT 2 OR USE DJI GO FOR URGENT ISSUE.. I also tried GO and couldn't fine where to recalibrate.

So that's my problem and I don't know how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Jkarl
Seymour , TN
Did you try go or go4?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54