DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic, is something wrong?

zebrock

Reactions
So today was my second time flying my new MP and I am starting to get more comfortable with it but I have a couple observations.

The first time I flew it, in my wide open neighborhood park, at close range (20-100 feet altitude, 50-100 feet distance from me) I had a lot of loss of video on the live feed. For the first 10 min or so the display would go red/pixelated off and on but would come back and I would have full video. I was so worried about watching the bird I didnt notice the signal or any settings on the remote. It flew fine the rest of the 2 batteries I went through and video was displaying properly.

Today, I am in Play del Carmen Mexico. Just flew for about 20 minutes, it's high winds so I didn't fly a far distance because I noticed on the app my RC signal is at no bars. On the remote itself, I have full bars. Has anyone ever seen this? I didn't want to go very far with the high wind warning and no RC signal so I just kinda hung out nearby, Has anyone seen these issues before?

I also took quite a few still pics but only the video was on my SD card. Am I missing something?

Reactions: Randy
As a start (you may already be doing this), but be sure your antenna are perpendicular to your air craft and spread apart.

As for your video, and signal display I have had similar situations. I have an older Android device and the following seems to make a big difference. Make sure your wifi is off, airplane mode is on and no apps are running in the background. I.E. make sure your device is clean and dedicated to the Go4 only. My pixallation and display problems seemed to be coming from an overtaxed device, and disappeared when I cleaned up the device.

As for your video, and signal display I have had similar situations. I have an older Android device and the following seems to make a big difference. Make sure your wifi is off, airplane mode is on and no apps are running in the background. I.E. make sure your device is clean and dedicated to the Go4 only. My pixallation and display problems seemed to be coming from an overtaxed device, and disappeared when I cleaned up the device.

Thanks for the tip @Robert Mitchell. At home, I was using my Note 7, here I am using my Note 3. Both places, both devices I had the pixelation issue. Not as bad here with the Note 3. Didn't notice at home if I was having the RC signal issue. I will try to kill everything and turn on airplane mode tomorrow when I fly and see if it makes a difference.

It will probably run better if you turn off the vdeo cache feature.
It also wouldn't hurt to delete the app and download a new copy.
And try using a different data cable into the bottom USB port (take out small one completely).

Not sure what's going on with no stills on SD card, if recording RAW perhaps what you are viewing on can't read them. Try taking using the controller button as well as the app screen maybe.
Writing stills to the card is more demanding than 4K video so a known good fast card is important.
Again popping in an alternative is worth trying.

Reactions: AyeYo
My video on a Nexus tablet was a little like that. Moved to an iPad 4 mini and it was 10x better.

Had same issue using Sony z3 I now use Samsung tab s with no issues.
Make sure you have no apps running in background and your phone memory as spare space.

Thanks for all the tips. Flew again today here in Cancun and put it in airplane mode and killed all the apps. No video issues but the phone would show 4 bars on the remote control signal but it was blinking. The controller showed same 4 bars but was not blinking. Kinda freaked out to take it a far distance because of this and the high winds.

The IOS app blinks but the RC does not. This means that you have encountered interference on the 2.4Ghz radio link. It's not clear to me if the interference (when you see this blinking icon) is because the RC or the Mavic have experienced the interference. How far away are you when you fly? Are you near anything that can interfere with the radio signal? WiFi access points? Are you wearing a smartwatch when you fly? Near any of those massive power lines? Try going somewhere completely different when you fly. If you use your phone to control, maybe try turning off Bluetooth and WiFi. Definitely don't wear your smartwatch. All of those things have been reported to (potentially) cause issues.

Reactions: GreatScott
The IOS app blinks but the RC does not. This means that you have encountered interference on the 2.4Ghz radio link. It's not clear to me if the interference (when you see this blinking icon) is because the RC or the Mavic have experienced the interference. How far away are you when you fly? Are you near anything that can interfere with the radio signal? WiFi access points? Are you wearing a smartwatch when you fly? Near any of those massive power lines? Try going somewhere completely different when you fly. If you use your phone to control, maybe try turning off Bluetooth and WiFi. Definitely don't wear your smartwatch. All of those things have been reported to (potentially) cause issues.

I am using an Android Note 3 phone now, and was using a Note 7 at home, no IOS. The Mavic is no more than 100-150 feet from me, sometimes even closer. This has happened in a neighborhood park at home in CA (no power lines), and now happening on the beach in Playa del Carmen Mexico. We are pretty far from the actual hotel and I don't see the SSID of the wifi so I woudn't think wifi interference. Not wearing a watch at all nor are there any power lines in sight. I will turn off BT and wifi when I go fly in a few minutes and see if it makes a difference. In fact, I will try to download a screen recording app and record what I'm seeing.

Thanks for the tip @Robert Mitchell. At home, I was using my Note 7, here I am using my Note 3. Both places, both devices I had the pixelation issue. Not as bad here with the Note 3. Didn't notice at home if I was having the RC signal issue. I will try to kill everything and turn on airplane mode tomorrow when I fly and see if it makes a difference.
I have had the same problems .I am using the G4s. Robert was it you that said your running a G4s if so any of your settings that would help me would be helpful

I had this same problem on my Nexus 7 (2013). The bars on the remote were rock solid but the ones on the tablet were blinking and the incoming video was breaking up. I figured it was just too slow to run. Switched back over to my iphone 7 and it worked great again. I'm looking at the iPad mini 4 but I just can't seem to want to spend another $300+ after all the money I've already spent.

Reactions: Red_Raven
I had this same problem on my Nexus 7 (2013). The bars on the remote were rock solid but the ones on the tablet were blinking and the incoming video was breaking up. I figured it was just too slow to run. Switched back over to my iphone 7 and it worked great again. I'm looking at the iPad mini 4 but I just can't seem to want to spend another $300+ after all the money I've already spent.

I'm in the same boat with the iPad. I have an iPad2 and an iPad4 but both are too big for the remote. Just sucks to have to buy another one when I dont even use the 2 I have. I would think the Note 7 would be good enough to run but I had the same issues.

So I just flew down the beach and aircraft lost connection at about 1,000 feet in direct line of site on the shoreline. Winds are a little high again and so were my nerves when that happened. Display went frozen and I had no control. I walked toward the Mav and initiated return to home which worked ok. The HD icon rapidly blinks with 4-5 bars, the controller signal shows zero bars on the phone and full bars on the remote but I still lost connection. I recorded the screen and am uploading it now. Hopefully someone can help out because I'm now nervous to take this thing far at all.

I'm running Android 7.0 and on my rom(I suppose other roms too..) I can create a NEW USER and allow just some apps..
so i created the user MAVIC and basically gave authorization just to dji app and Google maps.. all the other apps+phone calls are not authorized..
isn't it the best way to use dji go app while flying the drone?

Reactions: mblumewi
I'm using the note 3 and live view was laggy. Turn on airplane mode help and turn of video cache in DJI go 4. But I only tested indoor, haven't flown outside yet.

I have Samsung tab s 10.5 which is to big fit on controller nit sure which mount to get or invest in ipad mini 4 like everyone suggest. I'm not big on apple anymore.

If you create a new user on android you may have even more issues. I have a Galaxy Note 12.2 Pro and when I created a second user it started to crash. I also found the apps were running for both users. It really cut down on available ram. Like it was already said, it's best to have a dedicated tablet.

Reactions: bucefalo
Here is my flight from yesterday. All was well until I hit about 1000 feet distance in LOS. Sorry about the small screen record window, it was my first time using AZ screen reorder.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Now I'm sketched on trying a longer distance flight until I can get this figured out. Luckily my first time trying return to home was successful.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but looking at your screen when you restarted your phone was in airplane mode. This is good but it looked like an icon for screen mirroring was on. This will cause some or a lot of interference. There was also a lot of notifications. Do you have a lot of stuff running? I alway make sure to stop as many apps as possible. Its not enough to just close them from the task manager.

I could be wrong but looking at your screen when you restarted your phone was in airplane mode. This is good but it looked like an icon for screen mirroring was on. This will cause some or a lot of interference. There was also a lot of notifications. Do you have a lot of stuff running? I alway make sure to stop as many apps as possible. Its not enough to just close them from the task manager.

I did have an unread text but the screen mirror icon and the camera record icon were part of the screen record software I was running (I just double checked my phone) The GPS pin is part of go4 app I believe. I killed all my apps before I fired up go4.

EDIT: I closed the apps in task manager but not in memory. Maybe that was it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike