DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Mini and battery health

Tobbias

Reactions
Hi all ,

I bought the mm1 fmc and wanted to check if the battery’s are ok , as don’t know how long it’s been on shelf in shop.

I put the 3 battery’s in multi charger and pressed button to check battery levels , 2 of the battery’s came back with 1 solid light the 3rd had no lights , reading up I believe the battery’s should be kept between 1 solid and 2 solid , should I be worried about these battery’s , as I say it’s new pack and I haven’t charged any of them up yet , my main worry is the one with no lights could this low charge damage the battery .

Thanks for any help

Reactions: E90RAW
Hi all ,

I bought the mm1 fmc and wanted to check if the battery’s are ok , as don’t know how long it’s been on shelf in shop.

I put the 3 battery’s in multi charger and pressed button to check battery levels , 2 of the battery’s came back with 1 solid light the 3rd had no lights , reading up I believe the battery’s should be kept between 1 solid and 2 solid , should I be worried about these battery’s , as I say it’s new pack and I haven’t charged any of them up yet , my main worry is the one with no lights could this low charge damage the battery .

Thanks for any help

As a user we should store them in the "about 30-50%" state, but during shipping I believe there is a hibernation mode that is usually activated once you start charging them. Note that hibernation does not mean zero charge

If you are charging several at once for the first time, just wait and they'll all come out of hibernation eventually. I'd think it'd be fine to use batteries that have been on the shelf for much longer than the mini has been available!

Hi ,

Thanks for reply ,

I read up about the 30-50% in storeage , didn’t know about the hibernation mode so ty for sharing that , the battery that had no lights on seemed to charge ok , but didn’t know if would shorten the flight time due to the low charge whilst being on the shelf .

As you say these things may sit on a shop shelf for six months before being sold so hibernation mode sounds great idea, was just bit panic when checked them from new and they could be damaged.

Thanks again

Reactions: E90RAW and Malcx
@Tobbias you were right to be concerned, the best way to check battery health is to charge them all fully then one by one put them in the drone turn everything on as if you were going to fly then look in the app and it will tell you the individual cell voltages do this with each battery and also check them again when you have landed before you turn off the drone ,then compare them to each other if they are all similar then you should be ok dont forget to number them so you know which is which

Hi all ,

Thanks for any help
Forget %, only worry about the volts. Do not let them drop below 3 volts per cell, or oxidation will occur. DJI's algorithm for their batteries are to prevent failure(as they should) but don't necessarily correlate with the volts/cell. LiPo batteries are sensitive to oxidation and should be kept above 3 volts/cell. Plug in the battery to the drone to check the volts. It will likely be above the 3 volt/cell mark. I believe the mini has 3 cells(thats 12 volts total). For example, if your batteries are idle for 2 weeks and you go to fly, you will start at 50% and volts at 4/cell. After 10 minutes you will be at the end (20%) but the volts are still 13-14(for an M2P) and above the concerning 3 v/cell mark. Then as you charge the battery again the % will go up with the same amount of volts at the end of the flight (13/14). The point is the % varies.

Reactions: Tobbias
Thanks for reply ,

Think the mini only has 2 cells but I’m taking a the principle to be the same then so don’t let the battery voltages drop below 3 volts .

Thanks will make sure I adhere to that rule then .

Reactions: E90RAW
The mini uses the metal can LiIon which are a bit more resilient than pouch type LiPos. Still, best to take care of both the same way.

Mini batteries don't auto-discharge to storage voltage like the other DJI batteries, so after only two weeks, they'll probably still have or be close to their original charge. It's not a good idea to leave them fully charged for weeks though, especially in a warm environment.

But your question is regarding letting them go rather low. Best to just charge them and test flight time.

Reactions: Tobbias and E90RAW
The mini uses the metal can LiIon which are a bit more resilient than pouch type LiPos. Still, best to take care of both the same way.

Mini batteries don't auto-discharge to storage voltage like the other DJI batteries, so after only two weeks, they'll probably still have or be close to their original charge. It's not a good idea to leave them fully charged for weeks though, especially in a warm environment.

But your question is regarding letting them go rather low. Best to just charge them and test flight time.
Sorry, not familiar with the mini so thanks for the additional info. You are correct about leaving them fully charged. Bad idea. Unfortunately these battery's require constant care. You cant just stick them in a closet like the old days.

Reactions: Tobbias
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User