DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Mini or second hand Mavic Pro / Air

Reactions
Hi guys!!
I'd like your advice about which drone to buy. I already own a Tello that i bought months ago just to learn a bit how to fly, how to handle strong winds (since the wind is always strong for a Tello) etc...
Now I'd like to buy a proper drone and I don't know if, regarding price and restrictions/requirements to fly, is it worth to buy a second hand Mavic Pro or Air (for around 500-600 euros, maybe with an extra battery) or a new Mini for 350 (i got a discount).
Or I don't know if it makes sense to buy a Mini now and a bigger drone in the future...
I'll use it mainly as a fly camera and, when the SDK for the mini will be released, I want to learn how to make surveys and recreate 3d models. Since I travel quite often for work I need something practical that will not use all the space of the cabin luggage or of the backpack, that's why i won't even consider a phantom.
What are your suggestions?

Reactions: RayKelly
Hi guys!!
I'd like your advice about which drone to buy. I already own a Tello that i bought months ago just to learn a bit how to fly, how to handle strong winds (since the wind is always strong for a Tello) etc...
Now I'd like to buy a proper drone and I don't know if, regarding price and restrictions/requirements to fly, is it worth to buy a second hand Mavic Pro or Air (for around 500-600 euros, maybe with an extra battery) or a new Mini for 350 (i got a discount).
Or I don't know if it makes sense to buy a Mini now and a bigger drone in the future...
I'll use it mainly as a fly camera and, when the SDK for the mini will be released, I want to learn how to make surveys and recreate 3d models. Since I travel quite often for work I need something practical that will not use all the space of the cabin luggage or of the backpack, that's why i won't even consider a phantom.
If I were you the Mavic Air. It’s better in winds, has a better camera system with full manual control, much faster bit rate, built in 8gb (surprisingly handy), and when folded isn’t a great deal bigger than the mini.

ETA - also has lots of sensors the mini doesn’t

Unless the 249 g is vital for you, get the more feature rich drone. There's a lot of features missing on the Mini.

Mavic Prro has been out way longer and woudl give you greater flexibility for developing applications for it. Parts are also more readily available and its just a more superior drone in many ways. I think you'll be happier with it, I'm certainly less worried when flying it over the MM and MA due to their respective constrains (Wind resistance, noise, battery life etc).

Mavic Prro has been out way longer and woudl give you greater flexibility for developing applications for it. Parts are also more readily available and its just a more superior drone in many ways. I think you'll be happier with it, I'm certainly less worried when flying it over the MM and MA due to their respective constrains (Wind resistance, noise, battery life etc).
As an owner of the Pro and the Air I can say with certainty the Air handles better in the wind. The motors are better, it’s more aerodynamic and the smaller profile makes it less resistant therefor more stable.

Noise wise, the Mini is the quietest and the Air is on par with the original pro.

Battery life. The Mini beats both. The Air has six minutes less flight time than the Pro.

The only advantage the original Pro has is the distance. Not having Occusync is the Air’s only negative point against the Pro.

here’s a good comparisonhttps://www.techradar.com/uk/news/dji-mavic-air-vs-mavic-pro

As an owner of the Pro and the Air I can say with certainty the Air handles better in the wind. The motors are better, it’s more aerodynamic and the smaller profile makes it less resistant therefor more stable. The only advantage the original Pro has is the distance. Not having Occusync is the Air’s only negative point against the Pro.
So I think that the major con of the Air might be the battery, that at this point is the main pro of the Mini since the size of the two drones is more or less comparable... And of course the price...

The Air is more solid... and faster...and the additional sensors are helpful. Flight time better on the mini and you can buy two for the cost of the air. Although as you mention that your primary requirement is more towards the photography/videography I wouldn't be too quick to discount the quality of the images you will get out of the mini compared the air.

Have a look at some of the images in the video below... and if you get a chance... try to and fly them both somewhere...

Enjoy! I am sure either will be amazing for you!

Reactions: Lastrexking
After reading all the Mini horror stories, why would anyone consider it. If there is an opportunity to purchase an Air or pro new or used, how can the mini even be in the same train of thought. My 2 cents worth

After reading all the Mini horror stories, why would anyone consider it. If there is an opportunity to purchase an Air or pro new or used, how can the mini even be in the same train of thought. My 2 cents worth

You're right but I got the feeling that is kinda a software issue most of times rather than an hardware one. Like a faulty RTH or the wrong band chosen by default... I watched ton of tests and comparison and even some hacks like the remote "mod" to install the 4hawks extender:

With all that said there is no doubt the Air is way better than the Mini.

My main concern is about the second hand problem: i will try the drone, check the batteries before buying it but anyway it's risky to buy second hand stuff, even more a very fragile object like a drone... And there is no guarantee (even if in 99% of the cases it's the pilot fault). Do you guys have suggestions about some less obvious stuff I should check before buying it?

Buy a refurbished from DJI.

Hi guys!!
I was just about to buy a Mavic 2 when I heard the Mini was coming out. Bought the Mini and love it. I bought for traveling as I have a P4. The Mini is ideal for traveling and takes great photos and video. Fly safe.

Attachments

• F3135F16-F545-4C1A-876E-56871A156D83.jpeg
    F3135F16-F545-4C1A-876E-56871A156D83.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 22
Reactions: BlackTR48
You're right but I got the feeling that is kinda a software issue most of times rather than an hardware one. Like a faulty RTH or the wrong band chosen by default... I watched ton of tests and comparison and even some hacks like the remote "mod" to install the 4hawks extender:

With all that said there is no doubt the Air is way better than the Mini.

My main concern is about the second hand problem: i will try the drone, check the batteries before buying it but anyway it's risky to buy second hand stuff, even more a very fragile object like a drone... And there is no guarantee (even if in 99% of the cases it's the pilot fault). Do you guys have suggestions about some less obvious stuff I should check before buying it?
The main issue with the Mini isn’t software, or hardware. It’s simple physics. The Mini can’t handle more than a light breeze, people think it can - then the lose it.

Reactions: Scooped
The mini almost needs its own forum.

All I can say is two of my buddies have / had drones. The reason I say that is because one had a Mavic Air and the other had a Mavic Mini. They went out flying one morning together and both drones went out and only one came back. Guess which one came back? If you guessed the Air you are correct.

The wind wasn’t even noticeable that day but as you know, the wind is significantly stronger the higher up you fly. Mini started getting tossed around by the wind and ultimately it wasn’t strong enough to make its way through to get back home. Got a call to come out and help them search for it. It’s probably still sitting in a tree somewhere as we couldn’t locate it.

I’ve flown both and the Air is like a Ferrari in the air compared to the Mini. The mini is much too light, which is disappointing seeing as you don’t need to register it. I ended up cancelling my Mini order I placed recently and went with the Mavic Air Fly More Combo.

You never want to be in a situation where you want to get a nice shot of something but the wind just happens to be a little too strong to fly your Mini. Think about that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake