DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New mavic owner traveling to Costa Rica & Banff .....

PalmettoAerial

Reactions
So I have done a few quick searches on "how to film banff" with my new drone only to see the RCMP have issued a no fly zone over national parks ...

To me that seems puzzling as the videos I see online make me want to go to these amazing destinations that much more

So what should I know before traveling abroad with my drone.

How can I film Lake Louise etc ? when I go to Canada?

Last edited:
Generally speaking, I'd recommend a few things with regards to traveling.
  1. Invest in some Li-Po bags for your drone batteries. This will help avoid any issues with TSA or foreign country airport security checks.It's also recommended to kill your battery to around 20-60% for high-altitude traveling.
  2. Keep the drone and equipment with you, as your carry on. I think it's universally understood to not have your drone and batteries stowed away in the cargo space. With the pressure variations, temperatures, etc. it can be very bad for your precious drone!
  3. Keep your cables and equipment neatly packed. This will also help with your drone et al looking suspicious. My really simple DIY solution was cutting out the insides of a larger CD case (because who uses those anymore) and glued in some thin foam cutouts to protect the drone and equipment inside. It's compact and keeps everything together, nice and neat.
  4. Research country-specific rules. For example, in Canada, you must fly with your name, number, and address marked on your drone. There are a bunch of other rules too, but sounds like you're already familiar with the RCMP rules.
Lastly, your title sound like you're going to Costa Rica too. I went there earlier in the year. The rules are pretty similar to the States so you shouldn't have any issues there, as long as you follow some common sense and the tips above.

Good luck flying!

Reactions: PalmettoAerial
General Costa Rica Drone Laws
Drone use is allowed in Costa Rica, but there are several Costa Rica drone laws that need to be followed when flying in the country. Operators must ensure that they follow the following laws when flying in Costa Rica,

• You must not fly without a licence. A licence consists of 48 hours of theoretical training and 10 hours of practical training by schools authorized by the DGAC.
  • You cannot fly higher than 120 meters (400 feet)
  • You must fly stay at least 8km (5 miles) from an airport
  • You cannot fly within 30 meters (100 feet) of any house or building
  • You cannot fly over large activities or groups of people without prior authorization
  • The following areas are completely off limits to drones, La Reforma Prison, The Presidential House, El Ministerio de seguridad publica, Arenal volcano, La palma passage, The Zurqui Tunnel, El Murcielago Police Training Center

So I have done a few quick searches on "how to film banff" with my new drone only to see the RCMP have issued a no fly zone over national parks ...

To me that seems puzzling as the videos I see online make me want to go to these amazing destinations that much more

Have u used in Banff? Lake Louise?? I will go in Setember. I would like to now if it´s possible to use there.

You will not be able to fly your drone in Banff National Park, or any other Canadian National Parks, unless you fulfil the requirements that I will paste below. That law is enforced by Park Wardens, not the RCMP.

Drones or unmanned air vehicles (UAV)
In Canada’s national parks, the landing and take-off of an unmanned air vehicle (UAV) – also known as a drone – is prohibited.

In Canada, a UAV is considered aircraft. Their use is governed by Transport Canada and regulated under the National Parks Aircraft Access Regulations which prohibit a person to take-off or land an aircraft in a national park.

Anyone wishing to use a UAV in Banff National Park must submit a written proposal to [email protected]clearly indicating how the intended use of the UAV supports the management of the park. If approved, a Restricted Activity Permit will be issued.

As per Section 3 (1) of the National Parks Aircraft Access Regulations, the Superintendent can issue a Restricted Activity Permit for a UAV for the purpose of (a) natural or cultural resource management and protection directly related to the administration of the park; (b) any other management or control function directly related to the administration of the park; (c) public safety; or (d) law enforcement.

A Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) may also be required from Transport Canada for the UAV depending on its weight.

If you witness the use of a UAV in Banff National Park, please report the incident to Park Wardens at 403-762-1470.

More information:

Have u used in Banff? Lake Louise?? I will go in Setember. I would like to now if it´s possible to use there.

I have never been…… But it's been on my bucket list for quite some time…

I was asking about banff & Costa Rica since I would like to get drone footage there (likely not in banff but in that area ) and would like to know where I can actually fly the drone when I'm in Canada

I was asking about banff & Costa Rica since I would like to get drone footage there (likely not in banff but in that area ) and would like to know where I can actually fly the drone when I'm in Canada
If you are on Facebook, check out the group UAV Costa Rica.

O would to know too!! I Will go on setember and its a pitty let the drone at home .

Lake Louise is within the Banff National Park and Canada prohibits drones in their National Parks, so that includes nearby Jasper National Park. I just got back and I'll also discourage you from trying to "sneak" in some flight time. Lake Louise and most other attractions are packed from sunrise to sunset and Canada's drone laws actually ask people to dial 9-1-1 if they see others illegally flying drones.

So tl;dr, don't fly in Banff National Park.

I've just gotten back and and if you were looking to grab some footage around Banff (but not IN Banff) there is a town called Canmore tucked away in Banff National Park that appeared to be out of the NFZ. We hiked the Grassi Lakes Trail in the area and we saw a couple people flying drones. I thought for a moment they were doing it illegally so out of curiosity, I looked at AirMap and it was all green-lit. Now, the accuracy of the app is up for debate but in Google Maps, the area also appears to be out of the "green" NP area.

I've just gotten back and and if you were looking to grab some footage around Banff (but not IN Banff) there is a town called Canmore tucked away in Banff National Park that appeared to be out of the NFZ. We hiked the Grassi Lakes Trail in the area and we saw a couple people flying drones. I thought for a moment they were doing it illegally so out of curiosity, I looked at AirMap and it was all green-lit. Now, the accuracy of the app is up for debate but in Google Maps, the area also appears to be out of the "green" NP area.

I believe that's where we are staying. Thx for info.

Did you get any footage?

Quite simple, you can't. If they catch you they can confiscate your drone and all your gear and issue huge fines. Not worth the risk.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji