DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Pilot - From Phantom to Mavic - Flying Indoors

flybug

Reactions
I just got a Mavic. I have flown it indoors a bit. Set RTH to hover and turned off obstacle avoidance. The one thing I still notice is that when it goes over an object it is close to (underneath it), the Mavic auto-lifts up. Is that from the downward sensors being on and has anyone flown with those turned-off? Would it do the same "lifting up" behavior downward sensors were turned off?

Is it ok to maybe turn the downward sensors off why flying and then turn it back on before landing. (Yes, I know it would be a risk of it auto-landing, the landing would be hard but I still would like to know.)

Thanks!

Is that from the downward sensors being on
That'll happen when the Landing Protection setting is enabled in DJI GO.

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

... The one thing I still notice is that when it goes over an object it is close to (underneath it), the Mavic auto-lifts up. Is that from the downward sensors being on and has anyone flown with those turned-off? Would it do the same "lifting up" behavior downward sensors were turned off?

Is it ok to maybe turn the downward sensors off why flying and then turn it back on before landing. (Yes, I know it would be a risk of it auto-landing, the landing would be hard but I still would like to know.)

Thanks!
Yes, the Mavic lifting up is because the downward sensors detected an object. It will do the same thing if you put your hand under it when it is in a stable hover. That's why you should turn them off when hand catching.

You can turn them off but be prepared for some drift. When flying indoors in Atti mode it uses these sensors to get a fix on the floor to help maintain its position. You don't risk auto-landing with the sensors off and the landing won't be any more hard than normal.

My advice for indoor flying:
1) Turn off RTH.
2) Use prop guards. They really reduce the pucker-factor and chance of damage.
3) Use Tripod mode.
4) Don't fly too close to the ceiling because it can suck itself right to it.
5) Try folding the arms and hand-hold it. The gimbal will still dampen the movement to some extent.
6) After flying inspect the motors and air intake for hair or other debris. The props kick up a lot of dust bunnies indoors.

Good luck!

Yes, the Mavic lifting up is because the downward sensors detected an object. It will do the same thing if you put your hand under it when it is in a stable hover. That's why you should turn them off when hand catching.

You can turn them off but be prepared for some drift. When flying indoors in Atti mode it uses these sensors to get a fix on the floor to help maintain its position. You don't risk auto-landing with the sensors off and the landing won't be any more hard than normal.

My advice for indoor flying:
1) Turn off RTH.
2) Use prop guards. They really reduce the pucker-factor and chance of damage.
3) Use Tripod mode.
4) Don't fly too close to the ceiling because it can suck itself right to it.
5) Try folding the arms and hand-hold it. The gimbal will still dampen the movement to some extent.
6) After flying inspect the motors and air intake for hair or other debris. The props kick up a lot of dust bunnies indoors.

Good luck!

Does tripod mode use obstacle avoidance? I have been turning that off since it beeps all over the place when I have it turned on indoors.

Can you explain more what you mean by #5? Are you meaning, don't fly it and just hold it like a camera?

Does tripod mode use obstacle avoidance? I have been turning that off since it beeps all over the place when I have it turned on indoors...
Tripod mode uses obstacle avoidance. I should have listed turning it off if you are close enough to see objects to avoid.
Can you explain more what you mean by #5? Are you meaning, don't fly it and just hold it like a camera?
Right. Turn it on but don't start the motors and hold it in your hand. You can even get a device with handles and a display holder to strap it to for hand-held filming.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser