DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

new mavic pilot iphone question

genesimmons

Reactions
hi all picked up a mavic pro on boxing day, i didnt want to use my personal phone as i dont have data and i dont want to pull it in and out of the controller all the time, so i picked up a used iphone 5 and set it up and went to get dji 4 from app store and wow not compatable with iphone 5, says needs ios 9 which i have 10.3 i think but went into the app and says not compatable with iphone 5 only 5s, cant beleive it, is the app that powerful the 5 wont run it? i set up dji4 on my personal phone which is a amazon cheap phone and it works good thought the iphone 5 would have better specs, am i stuck with this useless iphone or is there a different version of dji4 app that may work with the iphone 5, i wanted a dedicated phone for the controller and the 5 fit great in the controller but wont work haha. story of my life,,,,,,,,

Is there an ios update available to your 5? it might be too old. I use a 6 with no problems, and an ipad air.
There are cheap pay as you go phones you can use without activating cell service. Search this forum for "wonderphone"

yes i seen the wunderphone, unfortunatly in canada i dont think walmart here carries that model, i checked for updates it says its newest update 10.3 the app says only needs ios9 though but i guess the 5 is to weak of a phone to run the app?? didnt think the 5 was that bad but i guess its to slow?? i should have checked but i wouldnt think the newer lighting style iphones were not compatible with an app, i guess this 5 is now a paperweight and ill find a android phone, when i read the reviews on the app store doesnt seem like the ios version is near as good as the android version anyways, lots and lots of negative reveiws on the app store, mid flight disconects and buggy and such, my fault for not doing my home work first haha

Sell the iPhone 5 and get an newer model that will run the app. Or get a cheap Android phone.

hi all picked up a mavic pro on boxing day, i didnt want to use my personal phone as i dont have data and i dont want to pull it in and out of the controller all the time, so i picked up a used iphone 5 and set it up and went to get dji 4 from app store and wow not compatable with iphone 5, says needs ios 9 which i have 10.3 i think but went into the app and says not compatable with iphone 5 only 5s, cant beleive it, is the app that powerful the 5 wont run it? i set up dji4 on my personal phone which is a amazon cheap phone and it works good thought the iphone 5 would have better specs, am i stuck with this useless iphone or is there a different version of dji4 app that may work with the iphone 5, i wanted a dedicated phone for the controller and the 5 fit great in the controller but wont work haha. story of my life,,,,,,,,
Should have did your research before you bought. Yes, iPhone 5 will not run GO4 app, neither did my iPad 2. My iPhone 6 and any newer one will work, but feel the 6 will be obsolete in a year or so. I bought a Mini 4 for the larger screen because it fits into the jaws of the RC with out an adaptor.

It is a crap shoot, getting an Android device. Few work without problems, Most have had problems. I don't think "pay as you go phone" will work, but not 100% sure, so do your research and search the forum for info there.

You can fly with out a data plan. Just need to down load you map and set up your device while on a WiFi connection, then go out to fly. My Mini 4 does not have cellular/data. It works just fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7