New Mavic, should I update firmware?

hotopic1

Reactions
My Mavic finally arrived and this is what it shipped with:

Aircraft: 1.03.0400
Remote: 1.03.0600
App DB(?): 1.00.01.04

iOS App: current version.

I know there's lots of controversy and debate about the updates.

I don't really understand them. What are the changes?

But the iOS app is trying to push an update on me. Appreciate your advice. Thanks!

From my understanding, the Remote and Aircraft should always be on the same FW version ... but I am a rookie myself and just always update to the latest.

Try the stock FW 1st, then if you're not satisfied w/ it you can always upgrade.
Many b-new owners upgrade right out of the box and ended up w/ frustrations and stress while upgrading due to upgrade failing and all sorts of problem. JMHO!

Reactions: sonof40
I got my MP 2 weeks ago with the same firmware versions as you. Have had no problems using that combination and plan to stay there for now.

A guy from Brazil had a failure to RTH, same as me, he rolled back firmware because his opinion and experience is that the 0900 firmware is glitching RTH.

Here is his statement, from my very taxing first post on this forum... no comment lol.

I had the same problem.
I set everything right. I made a flight, I was 3,100 meters and I lost the control signal.
The Mavic did not do k RTH, he kept trying to go up, even after reaching the maximum altitude (checked in the log).
I was with 69% battery, it stayed like this until the battery reached 10% and landed. I needed to get my drone in a place of difficult access, I found it because I used the Find My Drone that was very precise.
I think it's a problem with the 0900 Firmware.
I've downgraded to the 0700.
I've seen several identical reports.
Sorry for my English, I'm Brazilian and I'm still learning.

He, as well as another fellow were very very helpful and resourceful individuals that were of great help in my RTH failure. (No comment on the rest of the crowd in my thread).

The .0400 firmware seemed stable and predates some of the more intrusive DJI controls.
You can generally ignore the suggestion to update indefinitely.
If you go to latest it will be difficult if not impossible to revert to what you have now.
But latest firmware will have various minor improvements. You would hope...

You might want to stop the app auto-updating in case incompatibility suddenly arises.

Unless you are considering Goggles, best advice is stay where you are and ignore the update messages.

Updating can go both ways. If you're running versions 700+ then you can run into an issue eventually requiring an update to get in the air.

Example here: "In NFZ" - Was not in NFZ

They got ya by the curly ones basically. Best advice is build your own quad after learning to fly a cheap micro quad proficiently and safely (knowledge is power, so is BIG BROTHER... your choice), if you care about being wrongfully grounded on rare occasion.

But hey, maybe DJI will start to include a small helium tank and some balloons for us when we're grounded just cuz they say so (wrongfully so at that) and there's nothing we can do about it.

There's other buy n fly options outside of building your own, like older UAV w/just as capable if not more capable cameras as backup brought along that don't have the over stepping policies brought on by DJI w/the Mavic.

There's been a lot of cases where 0900 is causing rth/control loss as well as HD signal/app crashes. I personally experienced an issue two days ago after updating, within 5 flights. Its a shame they can control flights for safety but then make it worse by risking both safety and my investment with glitchy updates. Its like watching a snake eat its own tail as DJI dances to avoid all the lawsuits and regulations.

Luckily I am proficient in flying 3d inverted you name it, and was flying using common sense methods including Line of Sight Method. So their glitchy update didn't cost me anything more than a lot of time researching, complaining, and analyzing data to somewhat explain my issue.

Bottom line, if you lose a drone its because you aren't flying safely, sensibly and using line of sight so they don't care if their BIG BROTHER control crashes and loses your drone or lands you in jail due to a malfunction of a rushed update that causes more harm than good. Fly FAA safe unless you are willing to accept responsibility in court for not following Federal Guidelines and being found GUILTY by NEGLIGENCE.

I take pictures of houses with a DJI drone for listings but have a slew of backup as well that are no where near as nice, featured, or fun to fly. Pick your poison there are plenty of options but don't worry about updates as there's no magic answer other than you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.

Maybe if they'd lock a few you tubers up, people would understand this hobby can actually go terribly wrong. When it does you better be sure you did everything in your power to minimize risks or you'll be paying for it. In this sense, flying with out dated firmware can possibly prove you guilty by negligence. Again, this is in my opinion how someone trying to prosecute you for an incident would approach the issue of firmware, calibration, federal guidelines, local statutes/laws, etc, etc etc etc etc.

Guilty until proven innocent is my motto so take my advice with a grain of salt on firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clinton1

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada