DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New member from Long Island New York

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup.

Reactions: Thomas B
Welcome to the forum! :)

will read the manual and thanks for the welcome's!!. tried the Mini inside with no problem's then took it outside for just a hover fly's mint.

Welcome from a former (and still part-time Suffolk resident.)

Unfortunately, not a lot of good (Class G) flying places due to all the Class D and C airspace surrounding the airports, Wildlife Preserves and Parks across the Island. I have used AirMap to find little spaces of allowable airspace. Most of the Pine Barrens are OK . Islip airport (LI MacArthur ) and Republic airport are now LAANC participants, so that helps.

Suffolk AeroModelers is located at Field 8 of Heckscher State Park. and presently allows winter flying. You need to first get a permit from Park HQ located at nearby Belmont State Park. Not hard to do provided you're an AMA member which covers the liability insurance requirement.

Resident attitudes range from "hey, that's cool!" to "I'm calling 9-1-1."

Picked up my MM from BB and hope to get a lot of good information here.
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic Mini, Fly safe and have fun!

Welcome from a former (and still part-time Suffolk resident.)

Unfortunately, not a lot of good (Class G) flying places due to all the Class D and C airspace surrounding the airports, Wildlife Preserves and Parks across the Island. I have used AirMap to find little spaces of allowable airspace. Most of the Pine Barrens are OK . Islip airport (LI MacArthur ) and Republic airport are now LAANC participants, so that helps.

Suffolk AeroModelers is located at Field 8 of Heckscher State Park. and presently allows winter flying. You need to first get a permit from Park HQ located at nearby Belmont State Park. Not hard to do provided you're an AMA member which covers the liability insurance requirement.

Resident attitudes range from "hey, that's cool!" to "I'm calling 9-1-1."
I fly around my neighborhood have to hit the box to confirm flight first live 4 1/2 miles from an airport as long I stay below 400ft I'm good to fly.

I fly around my neighborhood have to hit the box to confirm flight first live 4 1/2 miles from an airport as long I stay below 400ft I'm good to fly.
Which airport?

Now that MacArthur is LAANC capable, how responsive have you found them in granting authorization to fly? ( that assumes you're within the Cass C boundaries which pretty much extend out 5+ miles, save for a small cutout around Bayport Aerodrome.)

Now that MacArthur is LAANC capable, how responsive have you found them in granting authorization to fly? ( that assumes you're within the Cass C boundaries which pretty much extend out 5+ miles, save for a small cutout around Bayport Aerodrome.)
I spoke to the persons from the tower there and was told not to fly above 400 ft and was told I was good to go and fly, I live just shy from the 5 mile radius.

You really need to check your location via Kittyhawk or Airmap. The tower has no control on whether or not you can fly, although the 400' max altitude is correct at the outer areas of ISP's Class C airspace, but you still need to obtain authorization for any flight within the class C airspace. See:

Welcome from another new flyer here in Babylon. Do yourself a big favor (I did), take a Part 107 online course and get certified. You will learn a ton of information that you think you may know but probably don't. I lived across the street from Zahn's Airport, spent my teens over there learning as much as I could, but the Part 107 course on Drone Pilot Ground School taught me a ton more!
Also +1 on the B4UFLY and Kittyhawk apps. Use them, take a screenshot and keep it with you when you fly as proof that you were clear or had permission.

You really need to check your location via Kittyhawk or Airmap. The tower has no control on whether or not you can fly, although the 400' max altitude is correct at the outer areas of ISP's Class C airspace, but you still need to obtain authorization for any flight within the class C airspace. See:

I have B4Ufly Airmap UAV forecast I did reach out to Mac author airport and was given permission to fly no higher than 400 ft, also I get the confirmation on my phone to accept responsibility for flying in my area, I am like 3 blocks from the 5 mile radius, I haven't had a problem I also registered my MM and have the numbers on the bird in case something should happen. also that 107 Don't have time for that I fly for fun.

Reactions: 25Vettes
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore