DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New member, looking for purchase advice

picpockett

Reactions
Hi,
I have never spent more than 5 minutes flying a drone, but am looking to purchase. For background, I am a professional stills photographer in Australia (Instagram) mainly working in editorial; news/sport/entertainment/portraiture. I have had a few requests for a drone recently so thought I should look into buying one to add to my kit. Can see it mainly being for stills for work, but would like to shoot video also of course. Can see the longer I am using a drone there might be opportunity to open up to shooting video professionally also.
I'm just trying to make the decision on which one to buy - the main 2 I have been looking at are Air 2S and Mavic Pro 2. I don't like the idea of no side object detection, even for stills I might see it getting into places where I need to get close to objects, who knows. But the Mavic Pro 2 is now 3 years old, and I know there is a 3 coming out at some point.
How do you find the lack of object detection on the 2S? Would you recommend I hold out for 6 months in the hope the Pro 3 comes out?
Any advice would be welcomed, thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Daniel

Hello from the Crossroads of America picpockett.

Nice to meet you Daniel. ?

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Since no one has actually answered the OP's question, I'll give it a shot.
I would stay away from the MP2 as it's getting hard to find parts (like batteries) for it. As for the "next new thing", I generally tell people not to wait (as long as they have a current need)...because there will always be something new/better "just around the corner".
That leaves you with the current offerings of the MA2 (which I own) and the M2S...neither of which have side sensor/detection. In fact, you are not going to be able to get within inches of an object since there is a minimum (and maximum) sensor range...and I'm not sure I would want to do that anyway. You mention you are a photographer, so I would focus (no pun intended) on the camera quality/type instead. I think the MA2 photo/video quality is excellent, but I believe the M2S has a slightly better optical sensor.
Of course, I'm no photographer so YMMV.

Daniel, welcome. I want to support StantonZ's common sense advice. I fly a Mini 2 and love it, but for a professional such as yourself, I agree that the Air2S is a one to consider for it's sensor size and other considerations. It's on my list to get some day if I can get my wife to agree we can afford it and I need two drones.

Welcome to the MavicPilots forum … Enjoy, and Happy flying! ??

I would wait for the pro -3 , I have a pro-2 as well it’s OK lately I’ve been flying the first Mavic original that is and I love it I’m sure everyone notices when videoing on the Mavic two can you switch over to Photos and there’s a major hesitation because of the old saying of line skipping or whatever it is they’re doing when you video and it’s cutting down the sensor quality probably because of heat there’s a major hesitation when you stop videoing and then start taking pictures on the original Mavic when you stop videoing and then you hit the button to take pictures it is instant and I really like the picture still on the original Mavic, Zoom capability and there’s not so much integrated colors in the photos I’ll look at it is fake colors they put in the new Mavic so much smoother flying machine both are great just hoping that the three we get the total 1 inch sensor capability when videoing and then switching over to Photos there’s no hesitation those guys are slick but they’re not fooling me anyway sorry for the long scenario here just wanted to share wait for the -3

Greetings from ? Florida ? . I Owen the a2 it's an amazing drone but I'm just flying for fun I think I would wait and see what the mav3 is going to offer . I don't think you're going to have to wait much longer for it to be released . but that being said it's just my opinion there all amazing drones good luck ?

I have a Air2 and and Air2s ... I can recommend the Air2s for photo work - it's wonderful, you'll love the DNG's. When the pro3 comes out, and its totally wonderful with it's variable aperture and all, you can sell the old drone and buy the new one.

Here's the deal with the side sensor, you will be flying within visual line of sight. You should be safe with no sensors at all in the perfect FAA world.

I myself have parked the A2s in a tree trying to frame a photo. I know better now. I take fewer and fewer risks as time goes on.

You can gain MONTHS of experience and have a ton of fun while building your portfolio by getting a drone NOW. You won't regret it.

Greetings welcome to the forum!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121