Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mini 3 pro user, first flight - 2 newbie mistakes questions

Henchula

Reactions
Site
www.henpapirman.com
Hi there!
I'm new to the drone world. It's been a dream since 2019 and finally I have a new drone.
Here's the thing -
I forgot to take the foam off the gimbal before turning on the mini 3 pro, it was standing for about 50 sec and then I took off. All in all it was 2:26 minutes in the air, landed straight away. Everything seems fine and working but I'm still worried.

Second thing is it was between 28-33 degrees Celsius, was it too hot to fly?

Thank you in advance

Welcome to the forum from the outback of Australia, henchula I think your pretty safe, I’d be surprised if it was otherwise. Those little drones are very resilient, I have flown my mini in 40 degree heat no issues.
Regards

Reactions: Henchula
Hi there!
I'm new to the drone world. It's been a dream since 2019 and finally I have a new drone.
Here's the thing -
I forgot to take the foam off the gimbal before turning on the mini 3 pro, it was standing for about 50 sec and then I took off. All in all it was 2:26 minutes in the air, landed straight away. Everything seems fine and working but I'm still worried.

Second thing is it was between 28-33 degrees Celsius, was it too hot to fly?

Thank you in advance
It seems like almost everyone has accidentally started their drone with the gimbal cover or that foam in place and I've never heard of anyone having a problem as a result. I'd bet that DJI has something in the programming that recognizes the gimbal being constrained and accommodates it.

I've been flying the Mini 3 in 95F/35C conditions without problems.

Welcome to the forum from the outback of Australia, henchula I think your pretty safe, I’d be surprised if it was otherwise. Those little drones are very resilient, I have flown my mini in 40 degree heat no issues.
Regards
Thank you very much for your reply, I was worried about the gimbal but then I saw it was fine, and then panicked about the batteries so I thought I'd check to see each battery because of the heat so I put one upside down since my mind was confused, all in all it's fine but I was so worried and stressed about it.

I'm a worried person, I guess. Thank you for calming me down. much appreciated.

Reactions: Gagey52
When I set up my Mini 3, I removed the tape near the gimbal but failed to see the foam. As soon as I turned it on for the first time, I got a message on the controller about a problem with the gimbal. I went on to update the firmware, thinking that would sort it. Eventually, when I looked closer, I finally saw the foam and removed it. I've had no problems with the gimbal since.

When I set up my Mini 3, I removed the tape near the gimbal but failed to see the foam. As soon as I turned it on for the first time, I got a message on the controller about a problem with the gimbal. I went on to update the firmware, thinking that would sort it. Eventually, when I looked closer, I finally saw the foam and removed it. I've had no problems with the gimbal since.
I forgot the foam when I was outside, the sun was strong on me and the screen, I was also very excited and scared for the first time so I guess that's why I made this mistake.

It seems like almost everyone has accidentally started their drone with the gimbal cover or that foam in place and I've never heard of anyone having a problem as a result. I'd bet that DJI has something in the programming that recognizes the gimbal being constrained and accommodates it.

I've been flying the Mini 3 in 95F/35C conditions without problems.
I really like hearing that (reading that for that matter) I was so excited and scared to fly it the first time, that I hardly seen anything on the screen (also because of the sun) It's like everything I had learned in a month and a half (till I received the drone) I had managed to forget.)

I always advise new pilots to have a workflow to follow when starting up and post flight. Helps to avoid those little issues of forgetting the gimbal cover. 😀
Regards

Welcome to the forum! :)

I think we have all been there and done that even doing updates in your living room leaving the gimbal cover on .Note to self always unfold prop arms remove gimbal cover .I had a mini 1 turned on but still folded during update it wanted to run the props .it then shut down .but still flies great .Even the most experienced fliers forget stuff ,what do ya want for 70

I think we have all been there and done that even doing updates in your living room leaving the gimbal cover on .Note to self always unfold prop arms remove gimbal cover .I had a mini 1 turned on but still folded during update it wanted to run the props .it then shut down .but still flies great .Even the most experienced fliers forget stuff ,what do ya want for 70
Thank you, this actually calms me down, reading other people's "mistakes" but still, it worries one.

To remind me, I just put tape on the gimbal cover. Also some tape on the SD card. Once the card is released it's easier to pull out. I also use tape on the DJI RC's SD card, as that one is even harder to grasp.

Lens Cover Tape.jpg SD Card Tape_1046.jpg

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
Did the same with the gimbal cover myself and now I have a ribbon attached as a reminder! Practice, practice, practice and practice!

To remind me, I just put tape on the gimbal cover. Also some tape on the SD card. Once the card is released it's easier to pull out. I also use tape on the DJI RC's SD card, as that one is even harder to grasp.

View attachment 152191 View attachment 152192
I was actually talking about the foam that holds the gimbal inside the cover. I thought it will keep the gimbal more secured inside the cover. Gonna throw it away though so it wouldn't happen again.

That's a great tip!

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
Did the same with the gimbal cover myself and now I have a ribbon attached as a reminder! Practice, practice, practice and practice!
I was actually talking about the foam inside, that holds the gimbal, but gonna throw it away now, just someone said it can keep the gimbal even more secure and not loosen.
Not going to keep on doing that,

Yep, a "Gimbal stuck" message indicates that it couldn't complete the startup mobility test, but it also means the drone protected itself from self-inflicted damage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+