DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New No Fly Zones

bmwbob

Reactions
I went fly fishing in Norther California last year and during a break I flew the drone over some fly fisherman after asking permission. I went back this year and went to fly in the same area and DJI GEO fence is in place and asked for my phone number to ask permission to fly except there's no cell reception in any of the are I wanted to fly :( the only thing I can figure is the area is also home to PG&E power plants and homeland security decided it was protected infrastructure! I'm thinking that will become more prevalent!

What is really more bewildering is the the Autel Evo can negotiate these Geo Fences and DJI cannot , I really cannot wrap my head around anything more the the US denying them that access.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

The US really has no authority over what DJI does with their proprietary Geofence tech. While the US may not want a Chinese company collecting the amount of information they are collecting using DJI drones not much they can do until they outlaw them. After all, every Chinese company must open their doors to the government watchdogs when asked. No such thing as privacy over there.

So using a DJI drone and flying all over the place is like being a Chinese spy... lol.

Does the EVO even have anything like Geofencing? Wait - update:

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
When DJI refuses to launch, I'll grab the EVO2 and happily fly. DJI will often ground the Mavic even though I have a LAANC authorization. Sure, you can usually (but not always) unlock it IF YOU HAVE A VIABLE connection, which doesn't happen when you're out in the mountainous wild west. The DJI GeoFencing method is a PITA, they need a better solution IMO.

Cheers!

The US really has no authority over what DJI does with their proprietary Geofence tech. While the US may not want a Chinese company collecting the amount of information they are collecting using DJI drones not much they can do until they outlaw them. After all, every Chinese company must open their doors to the government watchdogs when asked. No such thing as privacy over there.

So using a DJI drone and flying all over the place is like being a Chinese spy... lol.

Does the EVO even have anything like Geofencing? Wait - update:
Why is it ok when the US-of-A is spying, but not ok when the Chinese do the same thing? ;-)

Reactions: NDWildBill
Satellites can only gather so much data - drones simply see more and have better resolution at the surface.

As for spying being ok or not - lol - or who is doing it: All nations spy. I only said the US may not like the details the Chinese are scooping up. Normal counter-intelligence reaction is to know what info the other guys have and do what you can to minimize it. You don't really thing all these flight limitations on DJI are random, do you? < inserted for the paranoids here >

I went back this year and went to fly in the same area and DJI GEO fence is in place and asked for my phone number to ask permission to fly except there's no cell reception in any of the are I wanted to fly :( the only thing I can figure is the area is also home to PG&E power plants and homeland security decided it was protected infrastructure! I'm thinking that will become more prevalent!
Are you sure it wasn't a TFR? DJI put a larger fence around fire TFR's because they can move. Northern California is loaded with TFR's at the present time. Z fire tfr.png

Fire fighting air drops galore ... I'm in Idaho and still catching the smoke from those fires.

My house was far from a fire and also well clear of the TFR but it was still covered by the DJI no fly zone.
It's possible, but I was 40 miles from Dixie fire.
I'm sure it was very frustrating and disappointing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803