DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New ohio pilot. First video attempts (downtown Nashville and put in bay) inside.

Reactions
Started out in the hobby with a junker $100 drone a few years back. Recently picked up a spark, and fell in love with it enough that I knew I needed a mavic pro! Purchased it in February this year, and spent some time learning the basics around home. Now I've started to venture out to more risky flights away from home.

I feel like my piloting skills are coming along nice, but could use some work. Im going to start diving into the advanced flight modes soon. My editing..... is what I need help on!! Currently using the imove app on my ipad to edit and I feel like that a lot of the issue. Any suggestions??

Put in bay/ south bass island.

Downtown Nashville

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Reactions: Racin8de
Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: Racin8de
Nice view and Welcome to the forum, enjoy flying your drone is the most rewarding experience is like you feel free for real when you touch the sky

Reactions: Bobvt
Welcome to the Forum from the Nature Coast of Florida!

Cool. Couple tips... lower sensitivity on gimbal and drone to smooth out your movement (as low as you can go), fly lower and closer to objects in scene for more drama (look up cinematic drone moves), use POI on lighthouse, high angle pano's create too much movement on the horizon (try a sweeping move with forward movement, elevation change and slow gimbal down to maintain visual elevation point of reference. ND filters to lower shutter speed. Edit your videos to include only the best parts.

Settings for drone and gimbal. May be different for your model, but this is a good demo. I went even further than these settings.

Don't worry much about your editing. You can always re-edit footage down the road. Work on your cinematic moves with combination joystick and gimbal actions. I use the elevation change/gimbal tilt a lot. Try the gimbal tilt-down over the masts of the sailboats/yachts or the lighthouse. When you tilt, try to maintain the center point of reference from the start of the move. Or start in gimbal down, travel forward/backwards and gradually tilt up to reveal the full scene.

Cinematic Drone Moves w/ downloadable PDF for reference.

Most important with cinematic drone footage... resist the temptation to yaw around the y axis. Only the gentlest of yaw works in cinematic video as it generates a jarring amount of visual movement. 90% of the time, just leave it alone even if you're drifting off the visual line. An off-line forward/backward travel is always preferable to yaw adjustments mid-clip. Cinematically, it often looks better than staying on-line. Yaw is the trickiest to use smoothly/effectively... only the lightest touch, consistently applied. It's always my biggest challenge as I'm coordinating the left joystick at 11:00 or 1:00, the right at 12 (forward) or 6 (backwards) and a careful touch on the gimbal to maintain the reference point. Jerky gimbal moves are as bad as yaw. Both joysticks require slight & gentle pressure from the center position. More critical when you're close to objects (visual movement).

After a while, you can feel the right moves at the right time. Analyze your footage aftwards with that in mind. I'd suggest that if you're moving drastic off-line/off-subject, stop and re-orient, then fly straight. It's a lot easier to edit out a quick directional adjustment than a bunch of little ones. If it's a good shot, try it over and over until you get it right. I do most shots 3 or 4 times. Practice as much as possible on less important scenes so you're ready when you visit a worthy destination.

Last edited:
Welcome from your neighbor to the south, Birmingham, Al.

Cool. Couple tips... lower sensitivity on gimbal and drone to smooth out your movement (as low as you can go), fly lower and closer to objects in scene for more drama (look up cinematic drone moves), use POI on lighthouse, high angle pano's create too much movement on the horizon (try a sweeping move with forward movement, elevation change and slow gimbal down to maintain visual elevation point of reference. ND filters to lower shutter speed. Edit your videos to include only the best parts.

Settings for drone and gimbal. May be different for your model, but this is a good demo. I went even further than these settings.

Don't worry much about your editing. You can always re-edit footage down the road. Work on your cinematic moves with combination joystick and gimbal actions. I use the elevation change/gimbal tilt a lot. Try the gimbal tilt-down over the masts of the sailboats/yachts or the lighthouse. When you tilt, try to maintain the center point of reference from the start of the move. Or start in gimbal down, travel forward/backwards and gradually tilt up to reveal the full scene.

Most important with cinematic drone footage... resist the temptation to yaw around the y axis. Only the gentlest of yaw works in cinematic video as it generates a jarring amount of visual movement. 90% of the time, just leave it alone even if you're drifting off the visual line. An off-line forward/backward travel is always preferable to yaw adjustments mid-clip. Cinematically, it often looks better than staying on-line. Yaw is the trickiest to use smoothly/effectively... only the lightest touch, consistently applied. It's always my biggest challenge as I'm coordinating the left joystick at 11:00 or 1:00, the right at 12 (forward) or 6 (backwards) and a careful touch on the gimbal to maintain the reference point. Jerky gimbal moves are as bad as yaw.

After a while, you can feel the right moves at the right time. Analyze your footage aftwards with that in mind. I'd suggest that if you're moving drastic off-line/off-subject, stop and re-orient, then fly straight. It's a lot easier to edit out a quick directional adjustment than a bunch of little ones. If it's a good shot, try it over and over until you get it right. I do most shots 3 or 4 times. Practice as much as possible on less important scenes so you're ready when you visit a worthy destination.
Excellent advice!

Welcome to the forum :)

Most important with cinematic drone footage... resist the temptation to yaw around the y axis. Only the gentlest of yaw works in cinematic video as it generates a jarring amount of visual movement. 90% of the time, just leave it alone even if you're drifting off the visual line. An off-line forward/backward travel is always preferable to yaw adjustments mid-clip. Cinematically, it often looks better than staying on-line. Yaw is the trickiest to use smoothly/effectively... only the lightest touch, consistently applied. It's always my biggest challenge as I'm coordinating the left joystick at 11:00 or 1:00, the right at 12 (forward) or 6 (backwards) and a careful touch on the gimbal to maintain the reference point. Jerky gimbal moves are as bad as yaw. Both joysticks require slight & gentle pressure from the center position. More critical when you're close to objects (visual movement).

Thanks for the post and advice! I will work on all of that and have already adjusted gimbal sensitivity (didn't even know that could be done) and will try that out next time I fly!

There are two questions I hoped to get answered by lurking around on here.. I was going to make a special thread but since there have been so many replies here....

1. Can anyone throw out some amazing places to fly in the north east?? Seems like a lot of the places I want to go, drones cant or aren't allowed. :-/. I thought of going to Niagara falls, but it seems like that's a bad idea due to the air traffic and the environment with wind and moisture etc. The Grand Canyon was another dream I had too, but after a 5 min google on that it seems to be a terrible idea as well. My dream is a youtube channel with enough viewers to get paid lol.

2. Video editing. What software is everyone using to edit? I would love to move off my ipad with the iMovie app to something better lol.

Thanks again.

Started out in the hobby with a junker $100 drone a few years back. Recently picked up a spark, and fell in love with it enough that I knew I needed a mavic pro! Purchased it in February this year, and spent some time learning the basics around home. Now I've started to venture out to more risky flights away from home.

I feel like my piloting skills are coming along nice, but could use some work. Im going to start diving into the advanced flight modes soon. My editing..... is what I need help on!! Currently using the imove app on my ipad to edit and I feel like that a lot of the issue. Any suggestions??

Put in bay/ south bass island.

Downtown Nashville
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic Pro, Fly safe and have fun!

Since posting, I haven't flown any more but I have discovered Adobe Premier for editing! Which is some amazing software!!! I've only started to scratch the surface of this application and I have been at it for hours. I wanted to post new versions of my Nashville and Put In Bay flights after some simple edits!

Nashville

Put in bay

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike