DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New PC build

Barbara

Premium Pilot
Reactions
My PC is only 4 years old, but it can't handle 4K, which is why I've limitedf myself to HD up till now. That and my Spark could only shoot in 1080. I wish to be able to use my M2Z to it's full capabilities, so I guess it's time to upgrade. I'll be running WIN 10 PRO, 64 bit and getting new video editing software, Pinnacle Studio 24 Ultimate.

Here's my build for a new PC....opinions?

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z490-A Desktop Motherboard - Intel Chipset - Socket LGA-1200
CPU: Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) Î7-10700K Octa-core (8 Core) 3.80 GHz Processor
RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 SDRAM Memory Kit
HD1: WD Black SN750 WDS100T3X0C1 TB Solid State Drive - M.2 2280 (OS and program files)
HD2: WD Black SN750 WDS200T3X0C 2 TB Solid State Drive - M.2 2280 (Storage, to be expanded)
Video: NVIDIA Quadro P620 v2 board in NVIDIA retail packaging 2G

My PC is only 4 years old, but it can't handle 4K, which is why I've limitedf myself to HD up till now. That and my Spark could only shoot in 1080. I wish to be able to use my M2Z to it's full capabilities, so I guess it's time to upgrade. I'll be running WIN 10 PRO, 64 bit and getting new video editing software, Pinnacle Studio 24 Ultimate.

Here's my build for a new PC....opinions?

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z490-A Desktop Motherboard - Intel Chipset - Socket LGA-1200
CPU: Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) Î7-10700K Octa-core (8 Core) 3.80 GHz Processor
RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 SDRAM Memory Kit
HD1: WD Black SN750 WDS100T3X0C1 TB Solid State Drive - M.2 2280 (OS and program files)
HD2: WD Black SN750 WDS200T3X0C 2 TB Solid State Drive - M.2 2280 (Storage, to be expanded)
Video: NVIDIA Quadro P620 v2 board in NVIDIA retail packaging 2G
You did good! You can never have too much SSD's.

Reactions: Barbara
Oh goodie, then I can be a pest and bother you for help when I get stuck.

• Haha
Reactions: MA2 317
Oh goodie, then I can be a pest and bother you for help when I get stuck.

I'm up to the 21 Ultimate so I'll probably contact you. ?

What have you chosen the Quadro card for? It's a low performance card and given video editing software usually makes heavy use of video cards to accelerate render performance, looking at UK prices for the same price as a 620 you could get a faster Geforce card.

What was the spec of your old PC? I'm surprised a four year old PC couldn't manage 4K unless it was a low spec, up until last year I was still using a 2011 hex-core i7 which was managing fine with 4K rendering although it did have a GTX 1070 to assist.

Graphics card is often the bottleneck even if just for playback. It was for me playing 1080p videos even from my P3.

I will change that video card !!!

Yup, if you're doing anything with video (or gaming) you want to spend as much as you can on a graphics card. I've got a better card that the Quadro P620 and it's in need of an upgrade soon.

For a bit more cost you could get something like a GTX 1660 which would do you better and last a few years.

Of course don't buy anything until next week. Black Friday sales will easily save you a couple of hundred dollars on the total build.

What have you chosen the Quadro card for? It's a low performance card and given video editing software usually makes heavy use of video cards to accelerate render performance, looking at UK prices for the same price as a 620 you could get a faster Geforce card.

What was the spec of your old PC? I'm surprised a four year old PC couldn't manage 4K unless it was a low spec, up until last year I was still using a 2011 hex-core i7 which was managing fine with 4K rendering although it did have a GTX 1070 to assist.
Have a 7 year old high powered PC with i7 and 16GB RAM with built in graphics card. Last year when trying to process 4k video the computer processing hit a wall. Added a Radeon RX 580 and now works great.

I too have an oldie. Went though this exercise and ended up getting a new iPad Pro 12.9. Totally amazing! Still use my PC for my image editing in Photoshop and Lightroom. The iPad 4K edits with no problem. I got a 2 tb external drive which works on both for moving files around. Also got an iPad Mini 5 for flying. All in all it was less money ($1500) and great performance! Using LumaFusion for my videos.

Video cards are for 3D and gaming processing, the important part for video is GPU...

Video cards are for 3D and gaming processing, the important part for video is GPU...
I too was wondering about the necessity for a super gaming card (I have a PS4 for games) in my PC for video editing. Could you possibly elaborate about what specs for the GPU are critical?

Have a 7 year old high powered PC with i7 and 16GB RAM with built in graphics card. Last year when trying to process 4k video the computer processing hit a wall. Added a Radeon RX 580 and now works great.
Considered doing this, but it still misses some of the requirements for the software I want to use. That and I want to upgrade to SSDs. Rather than rebuild, decided to go new. We may then use my old PC as a netwrork server.

I too was wondering about the necessity for a super gaming card (I have a PS4 for games) in my PC for video editing. Could you possibly elaborate about what specs for the GPU are critical?
It differs slightly for editing programs since some editing software puts more workload on the processor, especially for special effects like mosaic, blur, transitions, etc. Currently, the the most powerful CPUs for video editing are AMD's 16-core R9 3950X, Intel's 16-core i9-9960X, and AMD's 24-core TR 3960X. Admittedly I am a Mac guy and unfamiliar with Pinnacle software or Windows 10. The usual specs for video editing though is the more powerful the CPU/GPU, the better because that's what most editors use to process video. If you can use proxies in your workflow, then it makes for an overall easier editing experience if you have a lower powered machine. Even the newer models struggle with the h265 codec. Video cards drive more screen refresh rates for graphics heavy fast changing 3D scenes like gaming. (If that makes any sense...not that it does to me after rereading it. LOL).

It differs slightly for editing programs since some editing software puts more workload on the processor, especially for special effects like mosaic, blur, transitions, etc. Currently, the the most powerful CPUs for video editing are AMD's 16-core R9 3950X, Intel's 16-core i9-9960X, and AMD's 24-core TR 3960X. Admittedly I am a Mac guy and unfamiliar with Pinnacle software or Windows 10. The usual specs for video editing though is the more powerful the CPU/GPU, the better because that's what most editors use to process video. If you can use proxies in your workflow, then it makes for an overall easier editing experience if you have a lower powered machine. Even the newer models struggle with the h265 codec. Video cards drive more screen refresh rates for graphics heavy fast changing 3D scenes like gaming. (If that makes any sense...not that it does to me after rereading it. LOL).

I just built a pc with AMD 3950x, RTX 2080 video card, and the fastest RAM and M2.2 SSD's the mobo would support. Liquid cooled, 44TB raid array for storage, and 3 4k monitors. Woot, it's a fast machine! I'm running Davinci Resolve studio on it and there is never a hesitation during editing 4k, or playback. Was quite expensive though.

For pc builders, I HIGHLY suggest creating an account at https://pcpartpicker.com/, Then create a new build there. It's a fantastic resource that will ensure all the parts are compatible (e.g., mobo supports processor, etc).

Hmmm, more to think about. The i7 in my build satisfies the minimum requirements for Pinnacle. My problem is I stopped staying current with processors with the last generation of Pentiums. Much to catch up on.

Graphics cards though, nada. From what I read, even though these cards are meant for gaming, getting a better card will improve performance for the editing software. I do use effects. Pinnacle does use proxy files, as does my current software.

So in the end, just keep throwing money at it, And I thought the drone was expensive.....

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Don't waste money on the GTX 2000 series. You get far more bang for the buck with the just released GTX 3000 series.

Reactions: passedpawn

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest