DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot check in from SE Pennsylvania

zparker

Reactions
Hi everyone! I've been lurking around for a few months now. I've enjoyed a lot of posts and collecting bits of nuggets of knowledge throughout the forum. Thank you to all of you who share such a wealth of knowledge. I'm a new new pilot and it helped to read up on tips and precautionary items in relationship to the Mavic Mini even before the first flight. I've had her for a couple months now and really enjoy it. I started getting over my nerves being an issue every time I took the MM up.

I'm over the new pilot gitters. But, now my main focus is to just have the controls feel like second nature. I'm getting a feel for what it's capability actually is and isn't. I feel that learning its limitations is important as a pilot. That way you fly smarter. And it's more likely you'll make it home and fly another day. Also learning to read flight telemetry data slowly so I can analyze the flights afterwards. Pretty impressive how much data DJI gives you.

Recently I flew the Mini out to in a local park to see what she could do in my area in terms of distance. I didn't get too far before radio down link was lost for about 17 seconds. Granted, there were a lot of things between myself and the drone like a set of electric cables, trees, maybe a few structures. The fail safe RTH feature worked very well.

I look forward to the day where I can get away in a really remote area and try her out. I'm already considering an addition to the fleet as well. Love DJI so far but am also curious about the US drone company Skydio and am looking to pickup a Skydio2 for autonomous stuff as well as the Mavic 3 when it comes out. Still weighing that out.... not sure I want to buy two this year. Also need to see what happens with the US legislation in the works.

If your interested here's my first video

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Hi everyone! I've been lurking around for a few months now. I've enjoyed a lot of posts and collecting bits of nuggets of knowledge throughout the forum. Thank you to all of you who share such a wealth of knowledge. I'm a new new pilot and it helped to read up on tips and precautionary items in relationship to the Mavic Mini even before the first flight. I've had her for a couple months now and really enjoy it. I started getting over my nerves being an issue every time I took the MM up.

I'm over the new pilot gitters. But, now my main focus is to just have the controls feel like second nature. I'm getting a feel for what it's capability actually is and isn't. I feel that learning its limitations is important as a pilot. That way you fly smarter. And it's more likely you'll make it home and fly another day. Also learning to read flight telemetry data slowly so I can analyze the flights afterwards. Pretty impressive how much data DJI gives you.

Recently I flew the Mini out to in a local park to see what she could do in my area in terms of distance. I didn't get too far before radio down link was lost for about 17 seconds. Granted, there were a lot of things between myself and the drone like a set of electric cables, trees, maybe a few structures. The fail safe RTH feature worked very well.

I look forward to the day where I can get away in a really remote area and try her out. I'm already considering an addition to the fleet as well. Love DJI so far but am also curious about the US drone company Skydio and am looking to pickup a Skydio2 for autonomous stuff as well as the Mavic 3 when it comes out. Still weighing that out.... not sure I want to buy two this year. Also need to see what happens with the US legislation in the works.

If your interested here's my first video
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic Mini, Fly safe and have fun!

Welcome. I live in Lancaster County. Would love to fly with you, sometime.
Would be very cool! Lancaster would be a nice place. I was looking at the regulations for drone pilots in our state and I'm quite irritated.

Who does that? There's nothing of interest to see where they want you to fly. They really limit us!

Would be very cool! Lancaster would be a nice place. I was looking at the regulations for drone pilots in our state and I'm quite irritated.

Who does that? There's nothing of interest to see where they want you to fly. They really limit us!

What County do you live in. No DCNR will not allow to fly in their parks. They will not allow first responders to train in those areas either. But there are many great areas to fly. We should work on some flying time.

Welcome to the forum from a former fellow Pennsylvanian!

I think you may have misinterpreted the Pennsylvania laws regarding drones. Basically, if you follow the federal laws you have no problem. They do restrict flying in state parks, however, unlike many other states they do allow flying in certain designated state parks.

From UAVCoach’s section on state laws:
To fly a drone as a hobbyist in the state of Pennsylvania (i.e. for fun / pleasure) you are required to follow the FAA’s recreational model aircraft rules. One of those rules is that if your drone weighs more than 0.55 lbs (250g), you’ll need to pay $5 to get it registered over here. And there are additional rules when it comes to airspace and altitude, keeping your drone within line-of-sight while you’re flying, and more.

There are other more or less common sense rules like it is unlawful “to operate a drone to intentionally or knowingly conduct surveillance of another person in a private place, operate in a manner that places another person in reasonable fear of bodily injury, or to deliver, provide, transmit or furnish contraband.”

Where state laws are concerned, I think Pennsylvania is one of the better places in the country.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS