DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot from Chicago burbs

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Hello from the Crossroads of America ChitownM2 .

Looking forward to upgrading to something that can be flown outdoors and with some more quality.

Check out the Mini line up of drones from DJI.

Drones - DJI

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Also looking at used options

DJI have refurbished products with full warranty.

Don't let the "refurbished" word be a spooky one.

A box that has been opened, never flown, could be a "refurbished" product with zero problems or appearance.

Welcome,

Chicago area? Wherabouts? There are a lot of burbs out here.
Yeah... This can be addicting.
Like you, my first drone was a cheap Chinese one that came defective. After a month of trying to claw back the money I finally bought a Mini1... and four weeks later bought a Mavic 2 Pro. Over the next two years I added a Mini2 and now a Mini 3 pro. At some point I'll (sort of) replace my Mavic 2 with one of the Mavic 3's. Yeah... addictive.

The good news is that within the DJI lineup there are a lot of good drones to choose from. I have my thoughts and opinions, but since you haven't yet asked... But I suppose you'll get around to it when you're ready.
Again, welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.
Please and do be sure you have read our guidelines.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome,

Chicago area? Wherabouts? There are a lot of burbs out here.
Yeah... This can be addicting.
Like you, my first drone was a cheap Chinese one that came defective. After a month of trying to claw back the money I finally bought a Mini1... and four weeks later bought a Mavic 2 Pro. Over the next two years I added a Mini2 and now a Mini 3 pro. At some point I'll (sort of) replace my Mavic 2 with one of the Mavic 3's. Yeah... addictive.

The good news is that within the DJI lineup there are a lot of good drones to choose from. I have my thoughts and opinions, but since you haven't yet asked... But I suppose you'll get around to it when you're ready.
Again, welcome to the forum.
Yeah I was looking at the mini 2 or 3 or maybe an air 2s, still trying to decide how deep I want to jump in. It seems like every hobby I pick up tends to be really expensive. Pretty positive that a Mavic is not happening for me at this time as that's way over the budget it looks like there are options at every price point.

I grew up in Schaumburg and currently in Bloomingdale and commute down into the city for work a few days a week.

My opinion is to go for the air2s. It’s a great drone especially for the money. While the Minis 2&3 are good drones the stability of the air2s will be appreciated on really gusty days. There is one advantage to the Mini 3: the “plus” battery (purchased separately)provides an insane amount of air time. But still I think the air2s is a hard value to beat. JMO

My opinion is to go for the air2s. It’s a great drone especially for the money. While the Minis 2&3 are good drones the stability of the air2s will be appreciated on really gusty days. There is one advantage to the Mini 3: the “plus” battery (purchased separately)provides an insane amount of air time. But still I think the air2s is a hard value to beat. JMO

How do the actual flight times compare to the quoted times in typical outdoor conditions? I'm assuming the times DJI lists are the ideal times with a brand new battery flying indoors with no wind, etc.

Bought my son a cheap drone for Christmas just to see if it's something he would like. Is only been a week and I can tell already he is hooked and to my surprise I am as well.
Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

We predominately fly DJI Drones and they generally start at about $300 for a New Mini SE, the Mini 2 New starts at about $440 at Costco those are the only Two that I would recommend for you and your son to start with, if you want to spend that much money. Used refurbished drones from DJI are a tremendous buy and come with all the bells and whistles and same warrantees as the new one do, so buy these are a very good idea…

Go onto YouTube and watch lots of videos on these and other drones. You will learn about their capabilities and limitations a lot easier with a "Look-See"

I started with a $30 eBay drone and learned to fly. These two DJI drones are GPS capable Drones and some folk who start out with these drones never really learn to fly. I would offer this advice, enjoy that Cheap drone and even buy another like it so both of you can learn to fly together and maybe even buy a better, not so "Cheap" drone to make sure the thrill does not wear off.

Now, let's get Legally Serious…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…) . If your Drone weighs less than 250-grams (0.55 pounds) and you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are not required to register your Drone.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

Happy Droning…

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hello from Minnesota and welcome to the Forum....There's a lot of good quality teaching/feedback going on in here. Just ask, and the experts are great on providing good sound advice for you to apply and use... Remember to always Fly safely and fly smartly representing all of us drone hobbyist well.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada