DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot from London Uk

R32 GTR

Reactions
Hi all,

After spending the last month researching I’ve finally ordered my Xmas pressie: a Mavic Platinum fly more combo and have now started the hopefully not too long wait for it to be delivered!

This is my first drone and I’m really excited :)

I’ve always been fascinated by RC stuff, a few years ago I got back into RC car racing after a 20 year break but eventually got bored of fixing it.

I do a lot of cheap motorsport and basically love anything with wheels, unfortunately most race circuits in the U.K. don’t allow drone use but I will get lots of footage of Car stuff, even if just static shots.

Last summer I went to the Nurburgring and one of the guys had a Mavic Pro, it wasn’t an instant hook but with time I convinced myself I needed one!

Me and my long suffering partner have a holiday to the Lake District planned in the second week of March so I’m hoping to learn how to fly this thing safely before that. Can’t wait!! :)

Can anyone recommend any drone simulators for iPhone/iPad for me to practice?

As much as I’m looking forward to trying to get some nice footage it’s the actual flying of the thing that really appeals.

I’ve got the instructions downloaded to my phone which I’m reading over and over, have spent many hours on YouTube etc but is there any other stuff I should be doing? (I’m familiar with the UK law on drone use eg VLOS and 50 m from public areas).

Many thanks in advance for any help and hope to make some new friends here :)

Cheers,
Sam

Hi and welcome - there is a drone simulator within the DJI app that you can use to practice, although its nothing like getting out there and flying the real thing!

Reactions: R32 GTR
Hi and welcome - there is a drone simulator within the DJI app that you can use to practice, although its nothing like getting out there and flying the real thing!
Thanks for the welcome guys and also thanks for advice about the app simulator, will have a go :)

Doesn’t look like I can do this without having the aircraft?

Hi all,

After spending the last month researching I’ve finally ordered my Xmas pressie: a Mavic Platinum fly more combo and have now started the hopefully not too long wait for it to be delivered!

This is my first drone and I’m really excited :)

I’ve always been fascinated by RC stuff, a few years ago I got back into RC car racing after a 20 year break but eventually got bored of fixing it.

I do a lot of cheap motorsport and basically love anything with wheels, unfortunately most race circuits in the U.K. don’t allow drone use but I will get lots of footage of Car stuff, even if just static shots.

Last summer I went to the Nurburgring and one of the guys had a Mavic Pro, it wasn’t an instant hook but with time I convinced myself I needed one!

Me and my long suffering partner have a holiday to the Lake District planned in the second week of March so I’m hoping to learn how to fly this thing safely before that. Can’t wait!! :)

Can anyone recommend any drone simulators for iPhone/iPad for me to practice?

As much as I’m looking forward to trying to get some nice footage it’s the actual flying of the thing that really appeals.

I’ve got the instructions downloaded to my phone which I’m reading over and over, have spent many hours on YouTube etc but is there any other stuff I should be doing? (I’m familiar with the UK law on drone use eg VLOS and 50 m from public areas).

Many thanks in advance for any help and hope to make some new friends here :)

Cheers,
Sam
Howdy from Wyoming @R32 GTR , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Doesn’t look like I can do this without having the aircraft?
The aircraft must be connected to DJI GO and powered on in order to use the flight simulator.

I’ve got the instructions downloaded to my phone which I’m reading over and over, have spent many hours on YouTube etc but is there any other stuff I should be doing?
Here are some items you might find useful:

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

The aircraft must be connected to DJI GO and powered on in order to use the flight simulator.

Here are some items you might find useful:
Huge thanks for this - will keep me busy!!

Great, lots of reading here :)

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup
*MAVIC PRO MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf
*MAVIC PRO PLATINUM MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171123/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual V1.8.pdf
*MAVIC AIR QUICK START GUIDE: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic Air/Mavic Air Quick Start Guide v1.0 .pdf
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

Reactions: Jerry and R32 GTR
Hi all,
Happy days it arrived today!
First (stupid) question lol - when settting up custom controls for the joystick I’m unable to configure anything, trying to press and hold on the different direction icons but nothing is selecting. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

I’d like to keep everything as is but have the aircraft rotate left and right on the left stick, then move left and right on the right stick.

Yes it was me being stupid - you drag and drop the direction icons when configuring controls.

Just spent a couple of hours doing the updates and flight sim. Then had a play with the camera which looked really good through the playback on an iPhone 8 Plus. Fingers crossed I won’t have any issues that have been reported here with it.

There is a slight lag in the display, a fraction of a second, but suppose this is negligible unless flying fast.

Welcome to the forum R32,

A bit late, but better late than never.

To protect yourself in the case of an accident, insurance is a good idea. e.g. (BMFA) British Model Flying Association (UK). It costs £33 at the time of writing. Click on the link to view their web site :-

Members Insurance

You can also insure your UAV against damage : -

Drone Insurance - Phantom Flight School

The next thing to do is join a flying club to learn the ropes. Its more than likely there will be members only too glad to help out with advice or find someone near you who has a Phantom. The golden rule :- Always get permission from the landowner to take off and land.

After some time, something to aim for is :-

Multi-Rotor –

You might like to try the following apps. The first one shows UK airspace and includes NOTAMS.

UK AirspaceAVOID for Pilots – Android Apps on Google Play and :- No Fly Drones

One item that I have found to be of great help is a clear coloured strobe light. I affixed mine to the rear of my P3 and it is easily seen in daylight for some distance. It helps greatly to determine orientation.

STROBON Cree® Standalone - Flytron

If you are going to carry out any flights you can register the area you will be operating at with dates, times and the grid reference to the RAF who will issue a NOTAM to relevant agencies. Their number is Low Flying Ops 0800 515 544. The grid reference can be found on :-

Grid Reference Finder

If you have any questions try doing a search first by clicking the magnifying glass top right. You might find your question has already been asked and it will save you a lot of time. If you can’t find an answer, then just post the question. If you want to check your spelling, put your cursor over the word with a red line under it, click once right and choose the correct spelling. We are only to happy to help.

Enjoy the forum.

Yes it was me being stupid - you drag and drop the direction icons when configuring controls.

Just spent a couple of hours doing the updates and flight sim. Then had a play with the camera which looked really good through the playback on an iPhone 8 Plus. Fingers crossed I won’t have any issues that have been reported here with it.

There is a slight lag in the display, a fraction of a second, but suppose this is negligible unless flying fast.

Well, if you are stupid, then you are not alone. We have all had to learn. :);)

Hope you are sorted now.

Sam, nothing beats beginners mode, big wide open field and get it up in the air. Take it easy. Practice flying figure of 8's. You will love it.

Welcome to the forum R32,

A bit late, but better late than never.

To protect yourself in the case of an accident, insurance is a good idea. e.g. (BMFA) British Model Flying Association (UK). It costs £33 at the time of writing. Click on the link to view their web site :-

Members Insurance

You can also insure your UAV against damage : -

Drone Insurance - Phantom Flight School

The next thing to do is join a flying club to learn the ropes. Its more than likely there will be members only too glad to help out with advice or find someone near you who has a Phantom. The golden rule :- Always get permission from the landowner to take off and land.

After some time, something to aim for is :-

Multi-Rotor –

You might like to try the following apps. The first one shows UK airspace and includes NOTAMS.

UK AirspaceAVOID for Pilots – Android Apps on Google Play and :- No Fly Drones

One item that I have found to be of great help is a clear coloured strobe light. I affixed mine to the rear of my P3 and it is easily seen in daylight for some distance. It helps greatly to determine orientation.

STROBON Cree® Standalone - Flytron

If you are going to carry out any flights you can register the area you will be operating at with dates, times and the grid reference to the RAF who will issue a NOTAM to relevant agencies. Their number is Low Flying Ops 0800 515 544. The grid reference can be found on :-

Grid Reference Finder

If you have any questions try doing a search first by clicking the magnifying glass top right. You might find your question has already been asked and it will save you a lot of time. If you can’t find an answer, then just post the question. If you want to check your spelling, put your cursor over the word with a red line under it, click once right and choose the correct spelling. We are only to happy to help.

Enjoy the forum.

Huge thanks for this, that’s so useful :)

For some strange reason I didn’t see this post or get notification until after the other comments were posted.

That’s going to keep me busy!

Reactions: deltamike
Took it for its first flight today - wow!

It’s so quiet!!

Didn’t fly further than 30m but had fun practicing control. It was windy but a beautiful day.

Took some video and a couple of pictures just to test and everything seems to work ok. The pics and vid were out of focus but that’s down to user error!

Not interested in trying to get good footage until I can fly to some basic level.

The return to home worked amazingly. Not sure if it was a fluke but it landed cm perfect, made me feel quite nervous, had to fight the urge to grab the sticks!

No issues so for with software or crashes touch wood.

Reactions: deltamike
Well done. Nice and easy for the first ten flights, and always keep line of sight. I'll bet you are chuffed. All credit to you. You are flying as it should be done - unlike others who will undoubtedly run into trouble sometime.

I have attached a precis of the rules and regs to adhere to if you dont know them already.

Happy flying R32

Attachments

• dronecode.pdf
    131 KB · Views: 2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member