DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot here, deciding between Air 2 or Mini?

chrisgangai

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I love this forum, and you all have great insight, thank you for taking time out to post feedback!

Here is my scenario. I am new to drone flying and originally started with a Tello. Recently I purchased the Mavic Mini and have captured some footage of a dried out creek bed, a family caravan, and a winery! So far, so good! However, I have crashed the drone twice, and both times caused by damage. Once to the body and gimbal, the other to the rear left arm that holds the motor (it cracked). Here's the catch, both times I've crashed the drone, it was at my Townhouse community where the walls to the next hours are about two car widths apart (maybe 2 1/2). While flying, the walls appear closer on the screen vs. where the actual drone is. Anyhow, I lost sight of the drone, and next thing I know, a gust of wind pushes it sideways, BAM! right into a garage door. Lesson learned: never fly in my neighborhood again.

Luckily I have been able to swap them out and get new ones, but I'm tired of the cheapness of material when the drone falls from less than 5ft up. Yes, I could have epoxied it back together or even replace that arm, but with the Air 2 coming out, is it worth it?

I plan to get better at shots and take more landscape photos and overhead shots. Similar to what most of you are doing in the open areas. BUT, is it better to learn on the Mini or spend the extra $500 on the Mavic Air 2? Of course, I will be more careful with either!

it wouldn't matter how much you spent on your drone ,if you fly it in an inaproppriate location between houses as you described,the MA is superior in many ways but will still break if it crashes

I concur, getting a more expensive drone may result in more expensive repairs.

But the reality is that you need to manage your expectations of what a drone can or can't do.

Don't fly anywhere you can't see the drone. Do not fly using the camera. Learn to fly by watching the drone.

If I were you I'd spend more time with the Mini. I'm glad I started with a less expensive drone before moving up.

Agree with the advice here, my first drone was a 99 dollar Breeze 4k(lots of fun lots of crashes, lots of crazy glue), second drone was the $250 yuneec q500 4k(also fun, great amer, a few crashes, but no damage), Now I have the Mavic Air(total riot to fly, fantastic video and photos, NO crashes(knock on wood)) Just ordered the air 2 and I expect more of the same. Go cheap, crash it have fun with it. Honestly I think the mini is a little too high end for a first drone.

Also these things are meant for open spaces, not fenced in yards, you're gonna crash anything and for that short range you're better off with something like a Ghost Drone or the Breeze.

I had the same dilemma, i went with the Air 2. Im just going to have to take it easy!!

Mavic Mini is my very first drone. My wife urged me to buy a drone that could handle wind. I chose not to buy a larger drone because I wanted to learn the ropes on a smaller less expensive one. Any mistakes I could make would be less expensive in my view, plus the refresh is about half as much. After reading and viewing information on the Mavic Air 2 I'm considering making that purchase as well. I'm still not there yet as far as my confidence goes so maybe waiting until my birthday next month to buy. I'll say it is frustrating to have to worry about the wind so much. Not that it couldn't be an issue with the Mavic Air 2 but to a much lesser degree. One thing I do like about the MM is no one so far has given it a second look when flying. I'm not so sure that would be the case with the larger drones.
On the other hand when I bought the MM the Mavic Air 2 was not available (obviously) and I think the price seems reasonable for the features you're getting. I wasn't interested in buying a used one as much as a new one. But now I have $500 plus in the MM which is fine plus 1000 more for the MA2 and it starts to add up pretty fast. Also a large part of neat shots in the town are in the restricted zone so all in all there's a learning curve to what you want to do and what you can do.

Last edited:
Mavic Mini is my very first drone. My wife urged me to buy a drone that could handle wind. I chose not to buy a larger drone because I wanted to learn the ropes on a smaller less expensive one. Any mistakes I could make would be less expensive in my view, plus the refresh is about half as much. After reading and viewing information on the Mavic Air 2 I'm considering making that purchase as well. I'm still not there yet as far as my confidence goes so maybe waiting until my birthday next month to buy. I'll say it is frustrating to have to worry about the wind so much. Not that it couldn't be an issue with the Mavic Air 2 but to a much lesser degree. One thing I do like about the MM is no one so far has given it a second look when flying. I'm not so sure that would be the case with the larger drones.

Watch this and see if you're still worried about the wind.

Hmmm... I think the RAF (rehkram air force) may be ready to acquire its second flying machine.

I got the mini with parallel goals of learning to fly a quad and learning to shoot aerial video. And it had to be inexpensive. It has served me well in all those respects.

The issues with uncommanded descent- and ascent have made me a more competent drone driver and more attentive to their care & feeding. Probably that sounds like making virtues out of necessities but it happens to be true. Thanks to all on this forum that have contributed to our collective understanding of what's going on.

Looking back I was lucky to have not written it off in the first week. After the mini I will never take for granted the benefits of more power and more sensors. The mini kind of reminds me of an old girlfriend from long, long ago :)

As if I needed any more excuses to pull the trigger on an MA2 that video did it. The wind around here can turn gusty for days on end, year round. I'll wait for a while and monitor the feedback after GA though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61