DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot in NorCal

Jarhead 96097

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi all,

Just joined the forum as a completely new pilot... actually, I just received my new DJI Air 2S this morning and haven't even flown it yet. I enjoy lots of outdoor activities, including recreational shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, and taking our Can-Am Maverick X3 Max Turbo R to the dunes. I'm a retired US Marine, and now work leading IT consulting projects in Northern California. I'm hoping to enhance my ability to document our family outings and events through the use of the drone for taking video and photos. I'm hoping to learn a lot here on the forum, and eventually to contribute back to the community as my knowledge grows.

Thanks,
Scott

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;) You should be able to get some stunning footage chasing that Can-Am!

Welcome again!

Welcome Jarhead Scott. I'm retired Air National Guard, living in San Jose. Congrats on the purchase. I have been enjoying flying my Air 2S as often as possible.

Hopefully you've gotten your TRUST certificate and FAA registration number on the drone. If not these are 'must do' asap. You can get the TRUST cert, and even get some cool decals from both from Pilot Institute for free:

Looking forward to seeing your shots/videos from the Air 2S!
Jon

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .

Welcome Jarhead Scott. I'm retired Air National Guard, living in San Jose. Congrats on the purchase. I have been enjoying flying my Air 2S as often as possible.

Hopefully you've gotten your TRUST certificate and FAA registration number on the drone. If not these are 'must do' asap. You can get the TRUST cert, and even get some cool decals from both from Pilot Institute for free:

Looking forward to seeing your shots/videos from the Air 2S!
Jon
Awesome, it's always nice to meet other veterans! I live in Yreka, but have been driving through San Jose (on my way to Watsonville) each week over the past few months for work. I'll be sure to wave next time as I drive I680.

And thanks for the links to the training and registration stickers.

Last edited:
Hello from the Crossroads of America Jarhead 96097.

Nice to meet you Scott. 🤝

In addition to the registration and TRUST test, get the ALOFT / B4 U FLY app available in the app stores.

It will show the airspace in your area and you may be able to get LAANC permission for flights near airports if needed.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Thanks! I have the B4UFLY app, and luckily, I live in a pretty rural area. I'll be sure to keep checking my airspace before flying. I'm also going to start studying and take the TRUST test this week. I passed the TRUST test this morning (12/7/21), and have everything packed for flight. Thanks!

Scott

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just joined the forum as a completely new pilot... actually, I just received my new DJI Air 2S this morning and haven't even flown it yet. I enjoy lots of outdoor activities, including recreational shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, and taking our Can-Am Maverick X3 Max Turbo R to the dunes. I'm a retired US Marine, and now work leading IT consulting projects in Northern California. I'm hoping to enhance my ability to document our family outings and events through the use of the drone for taking video and photos. I'm hoping to learn a lot here on the forum, and eventually to contribute back to the community as my knowledge grows.

Thanks,
Scott
Welcome to the forum from Sweet Home Alabama!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Awesome, it's always nice to meet other veterans! I live in Yreka, but have been driving through San Jose (on my way to Watsonville) each week over the past few months for work. I'll be sure to wave next time as I drive I680.

And thanks for the links to the training and registration stickers.
Oh you're from ACTUAL Norcal! I always think how funny it is when people from LA or the Central Coast call us Norcal. Uhh don't you see the whole other half of a state North of the SF Bay Area?

Scott (@Jarhead 96097) - Thanks for joining MP!! Great to have you. I'm from ~15 NE of Sacramento - I've been up near you several time. My grandkids live in Bend, OR. We take 5 to 97 @ Weed.

As a Navy Veteran, Thank you for serving our country! It is appreciated. In my experience, your signature rings true!! HAHAHA

Scroll down the forum list to find the one for the A2S! Many pilots there have it common with you.

Oh you're from ACTUAL Norcal! I always think how funny it is when people from LA or the Central Coast call us Norcal. Uhh don't you see the whole other half of a state North of the SF Bay Area?
Yep! And yes, there is a whole lot of NorCal that I cover. My "territory" extends as far south as San Luis Obispo, so NorCal is very loosely defined. Now that I have the Air 2S, I plan on taking it with me to all of my client trips. I've driven more than 76K miles in the last two years, so hopefully I'll have plenty of photos and videos soon!

Reactions: Peterson
Scott (@Jarhead 96097) - Thanks for joining MP!! Great to have you. I'm from ~15 NE of Sacramento - I've been up near you several time. My grandkids live in Bend, OR. We take 5 to 97 @ Weed.

As a Navy Veteran, Thank you for serving our country! It is appreciated. In my experience, your signature rings true!! HAHAHA

Scroll down the forum list to find the one for the A2S! Many pilots there have it common with you.
Thanks Prop Wash! It's always a pleasure to meet another veteran. In fact, most of my closest friends are either other Marines or the Sailors we served with. We do most of our firewood cutting up off of 97 near Military Pass just north of Weed.

Scott

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio