DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot in the midst

Cloudnine

Reactions
well, not sure i'd call myself a pilot as of yet especially compared to the rest of you; my time in the air is very short but I've definitely got the bug so i just clicked 'buy' on the DJI website and my Mavic 2 Pro order is underway.

As i said my history is short, i have coworkers that are drone enthusiasts and even after talking with them, seeing their drones (grounded) it didn't really strike me as a hobby i'd be interested in, until, my wife and i were in our back yard and she pointed beyond, my house borders the everglades separated by a canal, "I wonder what it looks like back there".

So that started the thought process, i had no idea of the advancement of technology and my mind was stuck back to my childhood of 'cheap' RC copters flipping after 20 seconds of flight and after some reading, examples of communities such as this forum i had gained enough confidence to try it out.

I was looking through the daily deals on woot.com and found a pretty good deal for an eHang GhostDrone 2.0 VR. i read through the details, researched ratings, etc. and it was priced right @ 75% off of retail ($899 @ bestbuy). i figured, i could take a low financial risk to see what droning is all about and if i liked it, i could upgrade.

well my eHang experience was relatively short-lived; the product arrived with a bad battery, company wouldn't support it (nor the drone) because of how i bought it, regardless of it being new, in a sealed box. and further research online showed eHang recently closed a US based facility (for various reasons) and liquidated the product there for pennies on the dollar and it was a first come first serve in person event and apparently i bought one from someone who was there at that time, thus the price drop. additionally they are having a great deal of issues on batteries.

with that said, after i bought 2 more batteries directly from eHang i was able to get 5 flights in totaling 3 miles in coverage. The camera never recorded nor rendered a picture on the VR goggles so i finally asked Woot for a refund and shipped it back; still haven't gotten my money yet but fingers are crossed. and now i'm stuck with two batteries that cost $300 total but hoping to ebay those to at least recover half.

needless to say, i was bitten and nearly obsessed over getting the RIGHT drone, avoiding a china based company (due to my experience with eHang) (ironic right?) and all those hours lead me to DJI and the Mavic 2 so here i am. I got the whole enchilada; M2P, Smart Controller (on backorder), VR goggles RE, all the accessories i could find/read on this forum and made the 'click' today so now i'm anxiously waiting for it to arrive.

my intent is strictly enthusiast, pics for my own edification/use (although i said that with underwater photography and I've sold some prints in an amateur setting); i fly the drone and my wife wears the goggles and can see first hand what the 'glades look like and our surrounding areas like the close islands in the Florida keys, wind permitting of course.

Anyway, I've always been a better lurker than a community participant and i hope to change that here as this seems like a supportive community, I've been in technology for over 30 years and always on the bleeding edge (every function in my house is automated from my mobile devices), and i'd like to think no tech intimidates me, but will admit, i am a little with this; but i hope to learn quickly and share my experience.

--Cloudnine

Reactions: msinger
Welcome to the forum Mr Cloudnine ... Do your initial flights over open ground though, where you can walk to where the drone has 'landed' without gettin to close to the critters that live in the Everglades! Have fun and fly safe ...

I was tentative so it was LOS up and down the canal (over water) that separates my property from the glades and around the neighborhood i have yet to breach into the glades and i'm not looking for closeups, i was to see broad landscape shots.

in order to get over there it's 4wd or atv access a short distance from my home, besides the water the brush is rather thick and there's gators in the canal!

needless to say i wont be heading into there until i have much more confidence; my house is on a closed golf course so i'll be getting plenty of flight time there.

only concerns i might have is i'm 2 miles from Homestead Speedway (Nascar) and a little over 5 miles from Homestead Air Force base, yes, my house is in the flight path at least half the year so i might be limited at my home but I've got a lot of possibilities within a short radius.

next is to look into insurance, again an enthusiast but i want some protection.

Welcome!

You will eventually succumb to the temptation of flying over the 'glades in search of gators (I would) so you might look into a Marco Polo type tracking device to help find it in the brush and a GetterBack type device if in over 10 feet of water. This is not because the M2 is unreliable, but accidents happen (the great majority of "fly away's" and crashes are pilot error) and given your terrain you might need help to find it. You also will need at least three batteries for an hours flying and some ND filters for smooth video.

I wouldn't worry about the speedway or the AF base; you are far enough away from both. You should know the flight patterns and if you keep it in VLOS and close to the deck you should be okay.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Thomas B
Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome!

You will eventually succumb to the temptation of flying over the 'glades in search of gators (I would) so you might look into a Marco Polo type tracking device to help find it in the brush and a GetterBack type device if in over 10 feet of water. This is not because the M2 is unreliable, but accidents happen (the great majority of "fly away's" and crashes are pilot error) and given your terrain you might need help to find it. You also will need at least three batteries for an hours flying and some ND filters for smooth video.

I wouldn't worry about the speedway or the AF base; you are far enough away from both. You should know the flight patterns and if you keep it in VLOS and close to the deck you should be okay.

Enjoy!
that's quite helpful Mossiback; i'll look into retrieval solutions as you mentioned. does the device take a last know GPS position? and how frequently does it update?

also and probably a dumb question; in order to use the DJI refresh service i NEED to have a drone (damaged/defective) correct? they won't 'replace' it if i've lost it entirely i'm assuming regardless of proof of order from DJI.

that's quite helpful Mossiback; i'll look into retrieval solutions as you mentioned. does the device take a last know GPS position? and how frequently does it update?

also and probably a dumb question; in order to use the DJI refresh service i NEED to have a drone (damaged/defective) correct? they won't 'replace' it if i've lost it entirely i'm assuming regardless of proof of order from DJI.
Basically yes, but as I remember there were some who were able to use DJICare without it., but they’d need to chime in. There could be other options.
DJI Care has one big advantage: Pilot error or drone defect they replace it in about 7-8 days. I used it once with my MPP after a tree threw it 50’ to the ground.

... does the device take a last know GPS position? and how frequently does it update?...
I do not have a Marco Polo device, but many in this forum do and I do not recall reading anything bad about them. More information can be found here:
Drone Tracking And Recovery Solutions | Marco Polo | Tracking and Recovery Solutions
... in order to use the DJI refresh service i NEED to have a drone (damaged/defective) correct? they won't 'replace' it if i've lost it entirely i'm assuming regardless of proof of order from DJI.
Refresh needs your wreck for a repair or replacement. Warranty replacements have been honored for a lost aircraft based on flight logs that showed abnormal behavior.

EDIT: There are exceptions to every rule and I cannot say for certain that no Refresh claims have been honored without the wreck to exchange, I just do not recall reading about it being done.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose