DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot needs help with search for lost Mavic

sayates

Reactions
Can I get any feedback or input on the best way to try and track down my Mavic Pro. I'm new to the whole seen and unfamiliar with what works best to track it down.

Please upload your TXT flight log here instead (and post a link back here).

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I believe that I have posted the correct data and here is the link. any help is greatly appreciated.

I'll start with the obvious question - what on earth were you doing? It appears, from the log, that you flew the aircraft at full forward elevator for 13 minutes at speeds of over 40 mph along highway 33 for 7.8 miles, until it went into autolanding due to critically low battery. Were you flying and chasing from within a vehicle?

To my mind "the last bit of the flight" is the important bit ... if you want to find it?
Worry about what happened and when once you have it back.

Reactions: BigAl07
It looks like you might have been flying in Fixed Wing mode?

Unfortunately, depending on how accurate that last set of GPS coordinates are, your aircraft may have AUTO LANDED in/on the highway there just beyond where Freeman Road makes the right hand turn. I'd print that map out and go search that are but be careful out there.

I think this needs to stay lost. This is some seriously irresponsible flying. ****, read the manual! Starting a highspeed run at 31% battery? Doing that kind of speed, altitude and distance without experience? This was self-punishing.

I'll start with the obvious question - what on earth were you doing? It appears, from the log, that you flew the aircraft at full forward elevator for 13 minutes at speeds of over 40 mph along highway 33 for 7.8 miles, until it went into autolanding due to critically low battery. Were you flying and chasing from within a vehicle?

Yes that is precisely what me and my son were doing. We were trying to see how far one battery would go. We were about 400-500 ft ahead of it. When the auto land came on i was going to just turn it off and fly to us and end the test. Right after attempting to stop auto land the Dji app locked up and went black and white. After quickly restarting the app I never regained contact. I was holding up and right on stick when getting app to restart. I walked along the 33 trying to see or reconnect and it never did. With 11% on the battery there should have been some time for me to reconnect and help find it don't you think?

I think this needs to stay lost. This is some seriously irresponsible flying. ****, read the manual! Starting a highspeed run at 31% battery? Doing that kind of speed, altitude and distance without experience? This was self-punishing.

I didn't start anything at 31%. I started the flight with 100% hence the reason I ask why the flight data starts at the point it does. And I don't recall anywhere in the manual where it said that with 11% battery and well within range of my location that the Dji app would lock up causing me to loose the bird. Nor where it said thanks for buying the Mavic Pro with the ability to cover great distances and tracked by GPS under the "amateur" FAA altitude blah blah blah now have fun in your yard. I just wanted a more seasoned input on how far and what direction would have been the best search area. Thank you though for your input.

It looks like you might have been flying in Fixed Wing mode?

Unfortunately, depending on how accurate that last set of GPS coordinates are, your aircraft may have AUTO LANDED in/on the highway there just beyond where Freeman Road makes the right hand turn. I'd print that map out and go search that are but be careful out there.
Thank you for the reply. I was about 400-500 feet in front it when auto land came on. I searched that day along the high way. Fortunately I didn't find wreckage in the high or anywhere along it. I have never flown in fixed wing. What data made you think that? I may have been in it and just didn't know.

Did you have RTH set on low battery ... which the log suggests you did?
If so - it probably headed off the 40,000ft (8 miles) back to where the home was set.

**** Ignore - see next post ****

Last edited:
Did you have RTH set on low battery ... which the log suggests you did?
If so - it probably headed off the 40,000ft (8 miles) back to where the home was set.

No it was Auto Landing due to Critically Low Battery. Here's the exert from the log:

"Critically low power. Aircraft is landing."

Reactions: OzoneVibe
depending on how accurate that last set of GPS coordinates are, your aircraft may have AUTO LANDED in/on the highway there just beyond where Freeman Road makes the right hand turn.
The Mavic was traveling at 37 MPH at the last position in the flight log. If the remote controller also disconnected at that point, the Mavic would have continued to coast over the highway for a few seconds and land somewhere in the trees ahead (see below). If the remote controller was still connected and the OP continued on the same flight path (at the same speed), then the Mavic could have flown much further than the last recorded location.

Location.jpg

Sayates, I hope you found your drone! Some good info here that I too didn't know. Lots of info on this site for all us newbies!

I have a related question, if not feel free to delete... I was flying near my neighborhood and then my MP just fell from the sky. It fell onto a large private property and I can see exactly the tree it hit/crashed (18 satellites locked on) in my flight log. when I contacted the home owner she said she looked for it but did not see it. And will not let me on the property to look for it, which I guess I understand...but I’ve told her I know exactly where I should be. Do I have any legal recourse because this is my property? Or am I just screeewed? Thanks in advance!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots