DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot needs help!

TLLUT

Reactions
Just got my first drone, and after much research I decided to go all-in for the Mavic 2 Pro. I've had it for about a week now, and slowly (and hopefully safely) progressing through the basics. So much to learn! I flew in bright sunshine today, and used my PolarPro ND 32 filter for the first time. The problem I had was that I couldn't see the screen of my iPhone X at all in the bright light.I assume the dark filter probably caused this problem. I am happy with the drone overall, but the phone/RC interface seems like it could be improved considerably. Any recommendations for improving this interface using a phone mount such as the MavMount 3? Will this type of mount improve the screen contrast by changing the viewing angle or do the darker filters always make it nearly impossible to see the screen?

Just got my first drone, and after much research I decided to go all-in for the Mavic 2 Pro. I've had it for about a week now, and slowly (and hopefully safely) progressing through the basics. So much to learn! I flew in bright sunshine today, and used my PolarPro ND 32 filter for the first time. The problem I had was that I couldn't see the screen of my iPhone X at all in the bright light.I assume the dark filter probably caused this problem. I am happy with the drone overall, but the phone/RC interface seems like it could be improved considerably. Any recommendations for improving this interface using a phone mount such as the MavMount 3? Will this type of mount improve the screen contrast by changing the viewing angle or do the darker filters always make it nearly impossible to see the screen?

The view on your phone fro the Mavic 2 Pro is obviously real time hence the darker image. Did you have the screen brightness turned up on the phone?
Was there a need to fly with the ND 32 filter when an ND 8 could have sufficed?
Try searching Google for sun shades to attach to your device which helps viewing pleasure.

Welcome to the forum and the Mavic 2 Pro. Seeing the screen can be an issue. Question - Had you turned the screen brightness all the way up?
To see if using a device like the Mavmount 3 will help, try tilting the Controller/Phone combo to change the angle of the screen. I have the Mavmount 3 and use an iPad Pro - love it.

Reactions: TLLUT and 747P4
The view on your phone fro the Mavic 2 Pro is obviously real time hence the darker image. Did you have the screen brightness turned up on the phone?
Was there a need to fly with the ND 32 filter when an ND 8 could have sufficed?
Try searching Google for sun shades to attach to your device which helps viewing pleasure.
Thanks, I was just going from the recommendation from PolarPro (ND 8 = cloudy, ND 16 = partly sunny, and ND 32 for bright sunshine). My first attempt at using a filter, and it was in a snow covered, mountain environment at about 8500' ASL. And yes, I did max out the brightness on the iPhone X. I understand that the filter will cause issues, but I was surprised that the DJI Go 4 app icons were almost totally without contrast and thus the app was almost useless with my brand new $1500 toy hovering above me. I will check out the shades, thanks for the info.

Thanks, I was just going from the recommendation from PolarPro (ND 8 = cloudy, ND 16 = partly sunny, and ND 32 for bright sunshine). My first attempt at using a filter, and it was in a snow covered, mountain environment at about 8500' ASL. And yes, I did max out the brightness on the iPhone X. I understand that the filter will cause issues, but I was surprised that the DJI Go 4 app icons were almost totally without contrast and thus the app was almost useless with my brand new $1500 toy hovering above me. I will check out the shades, thanks for the info.

Then the ND 32 was the correct choice by far. You would think that the program would be able to add an "adjustment" for the user to see these screens with better clarity. The iPhone X has a fantastic screen so there is no way that was at fault. Try using a tablet and shade, really makes things much more visible Thumbswayup

Reactions: TLLUT
Get yourself a tablet and a sun screen with the MavMount instead of the phone. You will like it A LOT more.
Thanks, I have an iPad Pro 12.9". I am hoping to use the Mavic for ski and mountain bike pics/video. Hiking and biking in the mountains means that weight and space are at a premium. My gear needs to fit in a backpack along with all the other stuff I need to stay safe in the backcountry. After I bought my Mavic last week, I noticed the new, all-in-one RC was just released. I suppose this might be a solution to my problem, as DJI claims the screen works well in bright light. Has anyone had a chance to evaluate this yet? I must say, I think a durable, weatherproof RC with functional screen should have been included at this price point. That said, I would consider buying one if it really allowed for more functionality in backcountry situations.

You might consider adjusting your aperture, and reduce the ND. Curious what ISO you were using also, as much past 200, IMO is pretty worthless due to noise. But you were shooting in very bright light snow etc, so noise odds are did not show up as much.

The older MPP did not have an adjustable aperture, so at Fixed F 2.8 you did to use an pretty harsh ND filter to get the correct frame rate for video.

The MP2 for video seems to work well up to around F 5.6 even 6.3, past that and diffraction softness starts to set in. I notice diffraction with stills, (most of what I shoot) by F 5.6.

If you were using Auto ISO, I am pretty sure it may have picked a higher ISO range than ideal.

Iphone x screen is rated at 600 nits, not very bright even in ideal daylight, and it's a mirror glossy screen, which makes problems with reflections.

Crystalsky high bright is 1000 nits, CS ultra bright 2000 nits. New controller with screen is 1000 nits.

Paul C

Reactions: 747P4
I suppose this might be a solution to my problem, as DJI claims the screen works well in bright light. Has anyone had a chance to evaluate this yet?

The screen on the smart controller works very well in bright sunlight. I had the same frustrations you are experiencing on my iPhone X and this problem has been resolved with the smart controller.

Reactions: ff22
Don’t take this as a dumb suggestion, but from personal experience, do you wear polarized sunglasses? Always a mistake for me when I fly.

Reactions: dannybgoode
As you have probably surmised at this point - many phone and tablet screens do not do well in bright sunlight. As suggested, just tilt the entire arrangement at different angles from the sun - that will tell you whether a mavmount or similar might help with viewing angles (doubtful). Also, while hovering (drone stationary) turn your body to shade the screen and see if that helps. I know while hiking in the Alps and here in the Cascades with my phone as a reader and track recorder, I'd have to turn my body or hat brim to shade the screen in bright sun.

Being compact and weight conscious for hiking, biking or skiing means you obviously don't want/need duplicate equipment if the phone will work. But, again, it might not be the best solution for bright sun flying.

Ran into the same kind of issue when I first started flying. I have no experience with photography at all. Come to find out I didn't understand how to adjust the camera settings. ND filters are for When you are setting a slower shutter speed. longer exposure means more light hence the filter to reduce the light. Otherwise you should be able to get a better image by adjusting the Camera settings manually or by switching to auto. Take some time to learn about aperture settings ISO settings and shutter speed. It will help you out immensely.

Spending money on different mounts, phones or tablets will not change anything. I used to have a Mavic Air for a year. It was a great drone in terms of portability and quick shots capability. I was mainly using it for that purpose, and the brightness of the device attached wasn't bothering me at all. The problem started appealing to me, when I was taking my MA more often for dedicated flying day out. Then the brightness of my mobile device started really frustrating me. Changing the settings, playing with composition was sometimes impossible in not so even sunny Scotland. I spent a fortune on buying ipad mini 4, different mounts, hoods etc. Eventually I was so fed up, that I considered to get Crystalsky 5.5 monitor. While on the hunt for a used unit, I came across used M2P with smart controller. I sold MA and all the stuff I managed gather during the time of ownership, added approx £100 and now I am a happy owner of nearly new M2P with smart controller.
The lesson learned here is... Don't spent your money on stuff to try improve visibility on your mobile device. Save yourself the money and hassle and go straith for crystalsky or smart controller, as earlier or later (if you are serious about flying and using a full potential of your drone) you will end up getting it anyway.

Don’t take this as a dumb suggestion, but from personal experience, do you wear polarized sunglasses? Always a mistake for me when I fly.

A worthwhile point to make but polarised sunglasses do not affect OLED screens such as the iPhone X and above in the same way as an LCD screen regardless of orientation.

Note I have been flying the last few days using my iPhone XS Max whilst wearing Oakley polarised sunglasses.

To the op - it sounds like you were under exposing the footage. What you see on the screen is what is being recorded so you’d need to slow the shutter speed down or increase the ISO.

What mode were you in (Manual exposure, Auto etc)?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121