DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot with some noob questions. :)

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
Hi guys, I’ve got hold of a Phantom 4 for a few months, and am looking to buy a Mavic (Maybe a Mavic 2 if I can hold out until release). But until then, I have a few questions which (hopefully) apply to both.

I’m currently viewing the feed with an iphone 7 Plus. But:

1. Is there a way to turn off incoming calls during flight? (At least limit them to notifications). I don’t want to go into flight mode if possible. I just set my iPhone to “do not disturb” and set silenceto “always”, and “allow calls from noone", and had a couple of friends call me. Their calls just showed up as notifications. But I wasn’t in the DJI app. Will this do the trick?

2. My phone was close to full when I first flew it, and 5 minutes in I ran out of space. So I cleared some apps and photos, and the next flight, got a notification about the Cache being full. What is the Cache for? (Also noticed my DJI app is getting bigger with each flight. Currently it’s at 2.5gb with most of that as documents and data, but it was 1.2gb after my first flight, and I assume, less before that. What is it storing? Should I clear the cache? If so, how?

3. I just bought an ND64, and am hoping it’s enough, but not too much for early morning/afternoon flights. Which ND do you tend to use the most? (I’m planning to shoot in D-log.)

4. Does the native 500iso in D-log only apply to Phantom 4 pro at this stage?

5. Anyone care to speculate when either the Mavic Pro 2 and/or the Phantom 5 will be released? :) (And with the Phantom 5, will DJI start with the pro and release cheaper ones with time? Or do they tend to start low then refresh up to Pros?)

Cheers!

Ben

Is there a way to turn off incoming calls during flight
Enabling airplane mode is the easiest way to disable incoming calls.

What is the Cache for?
It allows you to store a low quality copy of the recorded video on your mobile device. You should disable that feature in DJI GO if your mobile device is low on space (or to free up resources so it can run more efficiently).

DJI-GO-Cache-Video.jpg

Which ND do you tend to use the most?
Here's a general ND filter usage guide:

Filter-Use-Chart.png

Anyone care to speculate when either the Mavic Pro 2 and/or the Phantom 5 will be released?
Nobody knows for sure when and what they will release. Per the usual, I think we'll see a few new consumer drone models released in 2018.

Enabling airplane mode is the easiest way to disable incoming calls.

It allows you to store a low quality copy of the recorded video on your mobile device. You should disable that feature in DJI GO if your mobile device is low on space (or to free up resources so it can run more efficiently).

View attachment 28772

Here's a general ND filter usage guide:

View attachment 28773

Nobody knows for sure when and what they will release. Per the usual, I think we'll see a few new consumer drone models released in 2018.

Thanks so much. :)

Welcome to the forum Ben.Thumbswayup

Reactions: Ben_McPhee
January 23rd the buzz is that the "Mavic Air" will be announced. Still speculation, but reliable sources (former DJI employees) Same employees were documented discussing the Tello a few months ago, so it seems this may come true as well.

January 23rd the buzz is that the "Mavic Air" will be announced. Still speculation, but reliable sources (former DJI employees) Same employees were documented discussing the Tello a few months ago, so it seems this may come true as well.

Thanks. :) Definitely intriguing (I googled it), but if it's just an entry level Mavic then I'll probably still be waiting for the Mavic 2 (Unless it has an upgraded camera). On the other hand, I guess if the camera isn't a downgrade, there'd be no reason not to try it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest