DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New RC Pro Firmware - Experience with Air2S and Mavic 3

Roger.Joys

Reactions
Hello Pilots.

Here is the good news. Today I flew my 2 Air2S's and Mavic 3 with the same RC Pro Controller. I am excited this firmware was released, and flying both my Air2S' with the RC Pro put a big smile on my face.

However, a couple of snags and head winds of this writing:

• My one Air2S complained that the Controller needed calibration. I had flown both other drones with the RC Pro and they were happy.
  • The RC Pro paired seamlessly with the last used Drone. It required me to put the others into pairing mode (long battery press). This may be expected behavior, as it won't cause accidental pairing.
  • Switching between Mavic 3 and either Air2S prompted me with "incompatible firmware" and the option to fix. I did this and also needed to restart the controller.

Overall, super happy with the controller and how it functioned with the Air2S. I was already pleased with it on the Mavic 3. There are some bumps in switching costs but those seem fixable as the product matures.

Last edited:
Hello Pilots.

Here is the good news. Today I flew my 2 Air2S's and Mavic 3 with the same RC Pro Controller. I am excited this firmware was released, and flying both my Air2S' with the RC Pro put a big smile on my face.

• My one Air2S complained that the Controller needed calibration. I had flown both other drones with the RC Pro and they were happy.
  • The RC Pro paired seamlessly with the last used Drone. It required me to put the others into pairing mode (long battery press). This may be expected behavior, as it won't cause accidental pairing.
  • Switching between Mavic 3 and either Air2S prompted me with "incompatible firmware" and the option to fix. I did this and also needed to restart the controller.

Overall, super happy with the controller and how it functioned with the Air2S. I was already pleased with it on the Mavic 3. There are some bumps in switching costs but those seem fixable as the product matures.
This is good news as I purchased the Air 2S fly more combo with RC Pro controller from B&H and I am strongly considering getting a Mavic 3. Following your post.

Reactions: maggior
Hello Pilots.

Did you perform the calibration to get past your first problem? I still have PTSD from when my first SC put this message up intermittently and the information at the time said to do a compass calibration on the smart controller. The compass calibration never took care of it for good. What I think would have fixed it was a stick calibration but at the time you had to go into DJI GO or whatever the old app is that works with the older DJI drones. Not exactly intuitive :).

Just curious how this is being handled with the new Pro SC.

I saw the deal B&H has on the A2S and SC Pro bundle but I can't justify the upgrade from my MA2/SC combo. Great deal if you are in the need.

Reactions: rgrammer
Did you perform the calibration to get past your first problem? I still have PTSD from when my first SC put this message up intermittently and the information at the time said to do a compass calibration on the smart controller. The compass calibration never took care of it for good. What I think would have fixed it was a stick calibration but at the time you had to go into DJI GO or whatever the old app is that works with the older DJI drones. Not exactly intuitive :).

I saw the deal B&H has on the A2S and SC Pro bundle but I can't justify the upgrade from my MA2/SC combo. Great deal if you are in the need.
I did perform the calibration and it is the anti-pattern to intuitive to say the least. Had to get on a chat with DJI to find out how and then they said "It's in the App". I finally connected my AIr2S, got into the "Go Fly" section, powered down the Air2S and recalibrated the controller.

Reactions: rgrammer
I did perform the calibration and it is the anti-pattern to intuitive to say the least. Had to get on a chat with DJI to find out how and then they said "It's in the App". I finally connected my AIr2S, got into the "Go Fly" section, powered down the Air2S and recalibrated the controller.
So it was the sticks that required calibration?

This is good news as I purchased the Air 2S fly more combo with RC Pro controller from B&H and I am strongly considering getting a Mavic 3. Following your post.
As an owner of an M3, I wouldn’t recommend it until they still sort out bugs. As of now, it takes way too long for satellite acquisition and a home point to be set. And Airsense was broken on the recent firmware update as well.

Basically, the product was released 6 months before it was ready. It still isn’t ready. I’d hold off- I never had this many issues with my Air2S.

Reactions: Norval and rgrammer
As an owner of an M3, I wouldn’t recommend it until they still sort out bugs. As of now, it takes way too long for satellite acquisition and a home point to be set. And Airsense was broken on the recent firmware update as well.

Basically, the product was released 6 months before it was ready. It still isn’t ready. I’d hold off- I never had this many issues with my Air2S.

I will agree that the Mavic 3 "MVP" fell short for many. I was an adopter prior to them having the new Active Track features and long satellite times. I am seeing slow but sure implementations. Again, this boils down to your tolerance for some features not being stable and willingness to assume some risk of what the regular cadence of firmware updates may "break" causing unsuccessful missions.

DJI is addressing this, and the Mavic 3 has a really great camera and all the foundation to be a chockstone product.

INHO, if you want to adopt now, do the homework and see if you are willing to live with some features that are not fully baked in. I love flying my Mavic 3 but also love flying the Air2S that is more feature stable.

If the thought of upgrading your computer OS to the x.0 version or buying a new model car in its first year on the market gives you the heebie jeebies, then hold tight on laying down the cash for a Mavic 3.

Reactions: Norval and rgrammer

I did get that prompt too and followed through to "calibrate". All it asked me to do is to turn off the A2S and push each of the levers to the four maximum positions and turn each thumb wheel to both maximums. That's it. No more issues after that.

I'm now getting 22 sats if all available, actually matches whatever UAV Forecast app says is visible. I pulled down my replay from the ProRC from the other day after I did the upgrade-downgrade-upgrade-mobile data-wifi fix. Just played it back and it shows where I got the home point updated in 8 seconds on battery number 2...

ProRC with Mavic 3 after workarounds

Reactions: Roger.Joys
I'm now getting 22 sats if all available, actually matches whatever UAV Forecast app says is visible. I pulled down my replay from the ProRC from the other day after I did the upgrade-downgrade-upgrade-mobile data-wifi fix. Just played it back and it shows where I got the home point updated in 8 seconds on battery number 2...

What is this work around fix?

What is this work around fix?

Was it the "workaround" or is it just the fact that the aircraft acquires SATs very quickly AFTER initial SAT acquisition?

I know my Cine 3 is slow to acquire initially, but after the initial wait, every power-down and power-up after that is just as you report, about 8-10 seconds.

Was it the "workaround" or is it just the fact that the aircraft acquires SATs very quickly AFTER initial SAT acquisition?

I know my Cine 3 is slow to acquire initially, but after the initial wait, every power-down and power-up after that is just as you report, about 8-10 seconds.

Ok, so it's a forum post and I'm not going to try to interpret why you quoted workaround. It really doesn't matter at this point, I posted on the official DJI forum. I'll provide a link and stay quiet from here forward. Great way to welcome a new member trying to share some information.

Hang on here, there was in no way any angst intended toward your post. We're all in this together. I appreciate your post regarding the horrid SAT acquisition times with the M3. I was only trying to deduce whether or not you had noticed the faster times prior to the workaround. It is also a know fact that DJI stopped using BeiDou SATs.

Not everyone in the world is looking for trouble. 👍

Have a better day, and never "stay quiet!" 😁

I am getting a black screen on the camera view from the rc pro but if I switch to smart shots or any video mode it works just like normal. I would absolutely say the firmware is having issues on my air 2s.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50