DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New smart controller and very sloooooooooooooooooow charging.

Darkabaz

Reactions
After the buy of a Mavic 2 pro (1 week ago) today i grap all my motivation together and decided to give my latest vacation money away with buying a smart controller. :eek:?

Well, all my 3 drones (zoom/pro/enterp) connected succesfully... I saw the battery was around 30% so i decide to charge him up, for the first time. Now, 4 hours later, i just got 7% extra on the battery.
I use the original Mavic 2 charger, with USB-A to USB-C -> connector on the controller on the downside.
WHY the hell is it so slow?

I thought the adapter from the original mavic 2 didn't provide enough power so i decided to order a quickcharger QC 3.0 / 5V / 3AH / 18W from amazon (. Have to wait 2 days before receiving it, but can someone tell me if this would fix the slooooooooooooooooow charging from the SC??

Thankyou gracias dank je wel!

After the buy of a Mavic 2 pro (1 week ago) today i grap all my motivation together and decided to give my latest vacation money away with buying a smart controller. :eek:?

Well, all my 3 drones (zoom/pro/enterp) connected succesfully... I saw the battery was around 30% so i decide to charge him up, for the first time. Now, 4 hours later, i just got 7% extra on the battery.
I use the original Mavic 2 charger, with USB-A to USB-C -> connector on the controller on the downside.

I thought the adapter from the original mavic 2 didn't provide enough power so i decided to order a quickcharger QC 3.0 / 5V / 3AH / 18W from amazon (. Have to wait 2 days before receiving it, but can someone tell me if this would fix the slooooooooooooooooow charging from the SC??

Only thing you should use. This is DJI OEM

Reactions: maggior
I think the DJI smart controller charger is special/unique and is required for the quick charge function. Even my 60W USB charger only slow charges the Smart controller.

Somewhere I recall reading it has a 12v out - so not even equivalent to the typical USB charges. And it has it's own unique cable, too.

Reactions: maggior
I own a M2Z with smart controller. I've learned there are 2 modes of charging - fast and slow. Fast charging comes when you are plugged directly into the wall. Slow charging comes when you are plugged into a portable AC battery. Smart controllers need an unusual amount of voltage to go into fast charging mode.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

Use the included SC's wall wart charger.

The "watts" are not the main driver. Charging voltage / current matter. The SC requires a charger capable of QC 3.0 / 12V-3A.

The Amazon charger (12V/1,5ah) is delivered, and it appears the first 3 aec slow charge, then it is just for one second in quick charge. After that all the 4 lights on top going off and it repeating the slow charge again. Strange, but also not working...
I did not get the rapid charger, because i bought it from the someone who has the m2p with sc in a set. He told me he does not get the rapid charger...

I think i have to order the one as recommend above here.

I connected my SC to the same charger I use for my iPad Pro but the controller said for best results use the included fast charger. I assumed all USB-C would be the same but it knew I was not using the included charger. Now that I do I would not say its fast but is much faster than not using it.

The only way I could get my SC to quick charge was to use the cable and charging brick that came with it. I got it in a bundle with my MA2 and for convenience I first tried using the USB charging port off the power supply for the battery charger. That did not work. As I recall, I even used a different cable with the supplied charging brick and that didn't work either. So I am careful not to lose that cable and brick in the mass of charging cables and bricks that I have.

I own a M2Z with smart controller. I've learned there are 2 modes of charging - fast and slow. Fast charging comes when you are plugged directly into the wall. Slow charging comes when you are plugged into a portable AC battery. Smart controllers need an unusual amount of voltage to go into fast charging mode.
I don't think this is correct as the SC I had showed slow charging whenever I used any charging method other than the original cable and block.

I think most QC3 chargers will work for normal charging speeds. I use the one that came with my Anker battery brick and it works fine.

Use the charger that came with it mine charged quickly with it but very slow with any other usb charger’s

The smart controller's quick charge is done at a fairly uncommon 12V/2A (24W) and I believe also at 8V/3A (don't have it in front of me). If you have a USB- C PD charger that will do that combination of voltage and amperage, it will work. Otherwise just use the OEM DJI charger if you have it - that one supports the quick charge. That 18W charger you bought is not going to quick charge the SC under any circumstances.

However, if you have the time, it's better for your batteries if you slow charge them. For example if you are going to charge it overnight regardless for a morning flight, better to slow charge than quick charge in situations where it will make no difference to you. 7% over 4 hours is way too slow though even if you were using a "slow" charger, so there is probably something else going on. Are you trying to charge it with the SC powered on? It's slow but not that slow. If you use a standard 10W charger the SC takes about 4h to "slow" charge, and make sure you aren't running it to 0% before charging - that is not good for the battery inside. Also, only charge it to 100% before use - you do not want to let it sit at 100% charge for long.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots