DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Smart Controller - Won't Activate

s2seyecle

Reactions
Received new MA2 Combo with the Smart Controller. Smart Controller "must be activated" first.
Fully charged the batteries, [downloaded a new copy of Assistant 2 for Mavic (just in case)for AFTER getting the SC activated.]

Turned on the SC and followed the prompts for language, agreeing to terms, and location.

The Controller scanned "found" my (internet) networks and asked for the network password. After about 3 minutes watching the "connecting to WiFi"
received the message "Connecting to Wi_Fi Failed"

Made a dozen more attempts, then took the controller to a friend's home and tried connecting using their network with the same failed results. Throughout the attempts there were intermittent beeps, which I eventually noticed resulted in the Controller TURNING OFF. I was able to keep it on by tapping the Home or Pause buttons during the beeping.

I then made an assumption that "perhaps" a firmware update was in order and tried updating to the latest (0.0860). The results were downloads to 99%, freezing for about 10 minutes, then the "Network error" message, or Failed to Update.

As an aside, I have already used Assistant 2 for Mavic to update the firmware for the aircraft.

I've owned and updated MP's Sparks and Mini's over the last 3+ years and never encountered this level of failure.

Does anyone have any ideas. (This thing is less that 12 hours old!)

Last edited:
No experience with the MA2, I have an M2P, so take or what it's worth. Instead of updating using WiFi, plug the drone into your computer using DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic, and download the updates that way. Be patient, if it hangs, wait a good while.

Received new MA2 Combo with the Smart Controller. Smart Controller "must be activated" first.
Fully charged the batteries, downloaded a new copy of Assistant 2 for Mavic (just in case).
Turned on the SC and followed the prompts for language, agreeing to terms, and location
The Controller scanned "found" my (internet) networks and asked for the network password. After about 3 minutes watching the "connecting to WiFi"
received the message "Connecting to Wi_Fi Failed"
Made a dozen more attempts, then took the controller to a friend's home and tried connecting using their network with the same failed results. Throughout the attempts there were intermittent beeps, which I eventually noticed resulted in the Controller TURNING OFF. I was able to keep it on by tapping the Home or Pause buttons during the beeping.

I made an assumption that perhaps a firmware update was in order and tried updating to the latest (0.0860). The results were downloads to 99%, freezing for about 10 minutes, then the "Network error" message, or Failed to Update.

As an aside, I have used Assistant 2 for Mavic to update the firmware for the aircraft.

I've owned and updated MP's Sparks and Mini's over the last 3+ years and never encountered this level of failure.
Does anyone have any ideas. (This thing is less that 12 hours old!)

Wow this took a long time to find:

Scan this thread looks for my post :
Follow Zeus for list of things needed to get the SC up and running.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain.

Reactions: Thomas B
No experience with the MA2, I have an M2P, so take or what it's worth. Instead of updating using WiFi, plug the drone into your computer using DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic, and download the updates that way. Be patient, if it hangs, wait a good while.
I appreciate your reply, however you misunderstand my primary problem. The "first" thing that is to happen with a new Smart Controller is the "activation". Without that, WiFi versus Assist 2 is not relevant. I only tried to update the controller with Assist after the Activation failures. (And FWIW, those attempts were through Assist 2).
Thanks for replying, regardless

Wow this took a long time to find:

Scan this thread looks for my post :
Follow Zeus for list of things needed to get the SC up and running.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain.

I appreciate your effort and will save the thread (to which you link) as I progress in my problem solving.

However the "primary" issue has to do with just getting the Smart Controller activated. I can't get past the "join a network" step. FWIW, the attempt to update the SC firmware was a fallback without basis. I was thinking there was something in the updated firmware that was inhibiting my attempt to Activate the SC..
Sincerely, though, thanks for the 'big search!'

So you have tried your home wifi and your friends wifi and neither worked for join a network, but for some reason it allowed you to download a update to 99% or was that computer side? That means it joined the network. As far as registering it could be that DJI servers are down right now for whatever reason (Sometimes happens, Christmas rush with new "toys") Again if your getting to 99% for the firmware update it sure seems as though your connected to something with DJI. Again perhaps go with Asst. 2 side and try a firmware update again...some thing is off though. Does Asst.2 for Mavic see your SC? And for stupidities sake pull down on top screen to bring down the Menu and check that Wifi is actually on?

Note: latest firmware for SC is V01.00.0860

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
So you have tried your home wifi and your friends wifi and neither worked for join a network, but for some reason it allowed you to download a update to 99%? That means it joined the network. As far as registering it could be that DJI servers are down right now for whatever reason (Sometimes happens, Christmas rush with new "toys") Again if your getting to 99% for the firmware update it sure seems as though your connected to something. Again perhaps go with Asst. 2 side and try a firmware update...some thing is off though.
Thanks... I understand your logic, but I think there's two different kind of issues, created by two different "technologies." When using Assistant 2 (either one) and signing into an existing account, I'm using Assistant 2 on a MacOS.

With the SC, it's an Android operating system with completely different hardware, just trying to sign in to my network (internet connection). I'm not even getting into the internet... I'm stopped at the sign-in!! It's like getting a new phone, trying to activate it with a carrier, and there something in the device blocking the recognition of the password..

[And yes, the password is correct (checked that twice) and I tested signing in to my network using the friend's android phone.]

I think I'm going to try a Support Online Chat in the AM, then get a case number.

Reactions: RMuntan
Thanks... I understand your logic, but I think there's two different kind of issues, created by two different "technologies." When using Assistant 2 (either one) and signing into an existing account, I'm using Assistant 2 on a MacOS.

With the SC, it's an Android operating system with completely different hardware, just trying to sign in to my network (internet connection). I'm not even getting into the internet... I'm stopped at the sign-in!! It's like getting a new phone, trying to activate it with a carrier, and there something in the device blocking the recognition of the password..

[And yes, the password is correct (checked that twice) and I tested signing in to my network using the friend's android phone.]

I think I'm going to try a Support Online Chat in the AM, then get a case number.
Sounds good at this point...best of luck. :)

have you tried "forgetting" your wi-fi connection on the SC ?

I think you have the right idea as a first step by performing a firmware update to the SC by way of Assistant 2.

If you have your PC connected by WiFi, try Ethernet instead. Turn off WiFi on the SC. These two steps may help you complete the firmware update.

Then try connecting the SC to your WiFi.
You could temporarily try setting your home wifi with no security to see if the SC wifi works at all.

If you have a USB network adapter you could use that to get a wired internet connection to get the SC activated but that won't be a practical long term solution. You'll want to get it to work with WiFi.

Beyond the above, I suggest contacting DJI support. They may need to replace the SC.

EDIT: I seem to recall some fixing issues like this by removing any SD card installed on the SC.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
So you have tried your home wifi and your friends wifi and neither worked for join a network, but for some reason it allowed you to download a update to 99% or was that computer side? That means it joined the network. As far as registering it could be that DJI servers are down right now for whatever reason (Sometimes happens, Christmas rush with new "toys") Again if your getting to 99% for the firmware update it sure seems as though your connected to something with DJI. Again perhaps go with Asst. 2 side and try a firmware update again...some thing is off though. Does Asst.2 for Mavic see your SC? And for stupidities sake pull down on top screen to bring down the Menu and check that Wifi is actually on?

Note: latest firmware for SC is V01.00.0860
You don't need a WiFi connection on SC to update SC firmware using Assistant 2. As a matter of fact you're probably better off turning off WiFi on the SC during update.

have you tried "forgetting" your wi-fi connection on the SC ?
Well, your really can't "forget" WiFi if you're going to try and Activate the SC. I.e., you're trying to sign in to DJI and your account to activate the device. As it happens the issue is the way the WiFi on the SC try to contact "the internet" through the Router. See my updates regarding my Router's "Security Methods".

[EDIT: See my subsequent "resolution" and the "how it was done" in Reply #14]

Last edited:
You don't need a WiFi connection on SC to update SC firmware using Assistant 2. As a matter of fact you're probably better off turning off WiFi on the SC during update.
Yes, that's a given ( and mentioned by others ). As I mentioned, updating the Firmware was an added angle of thought, hoping that there might be something/bug preventing Activation. See my update (shortly) regarding the "fix". It's all in the router.....

[EDIT: See my subsequent "resolution" and the "how it was done" in Reply #14]

Last edited:
RESOLVED; (but not sure what the full depth of the issue is/was)
Having succeeded in activation buy setting up a "Guest Account" with no password, I still had to set up m "normal" account(s) so that I could regularly use my home internet to connect to WiFi. (leaving an unsecured guest account open was not an option)
I use a fairly new Netgear Nighthawk RAX35 router which offers only two choices of "Security Method". 1-WPA2-PSLK or 2-WPA-PSK.WPA2-PSK
Prior to this mess, both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz accounts were set to the first choice.
I notice the Guest Account was default to the second choice, so I reset the 5Ghz account to the same.
And... of course it worked, which is nice for the Smart Controller.
However, now both the MacOS and iOS 14.x are having difficulty, showing "Weak Security" messages, likely because the older WPA-PSK checks first. I'm clearly no expert on this
BUT, after changing both accounts to the second choice, I was getting security blocked by both my bank and Credit Union. A call to them "suggested" I look at the security settings on my home router, because "many times our security 'handshake' process will block more weakly secured connections."
I'm too tired to pursue this on this forum, and only share it so that others will have another path to check if similar difficulties....
As for me.. it's another "hail to Android (or the hell with Android) when it fails to work with fundamental router systems ... or so it seems)
Thanks to EVERYONE for chiming in and offering suggestions.

I had wifi connection issues with my new garage door. I have two APs working together and centrally managed where my garage door seemed to connect ok to my farther AP but not the closer one.

Issue was fixed when I changed the AP advanced setting to use AES 256 only rather than TKIP+AES 256.

I have an old laptop that will connect with AES with my older router, but no data will get through as if I had it blocked by MAC. Worked when I switched to TKIP.

There are just so many variables to WiFi, many not visible for adjustment in consumer routers, that it is difficult to troubleshoot issues. IoTs just make it more impossible as they have nothing to change security protocols. They assume a lot and support has no clue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929