DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New sUAV registration

AndrewM

Reactions
I have three sUAV's currently registered with the FAA under part 107. Each registration came via the mail after registering with the FAA and paying the $5 fee. i just went to register a new Mavic Classic and the registration was just a small piece of paper with a long registration number. Has the FAA abandoned N numbers for sUAV's under part 107 or did I screw something up?

Reactions: MY2017MavicPRO
It there but it's like 15 letters and numbers long. Not the tradtional N # like I have on my other craft.

I have had over 15 drones and all registered by the FAA and none of them got an N number.
They all have a unique FA number but not an N number.

N numbers are reserved for manned aircraft.

@BigAl07 or @Vic Moss can add more to or correct me

Reactions: EricOwen
Hmmmm, sorry but not true. I have four registered going back to 2017 and all have N numbers
Like I said, I have been flying drones for years and have been registering them ever since the FAA made it mandatory and none of them were issued an N number. So, there is something amiss here. Start a conversation with me and Post one of the N numbers and I will do an inquiry to see what pulls up.

Reactions: TonyPHX
Like I said, I have been flying drones for years and have been registering them ever since the FAA made it mandatory and none of them were issued an N number. So, there is something amiss here. Start a conversation with me and Post one of the N numbers and I will do an inquiry to see what pulls up.
N807PM was registered in 2017 and continuously since

N807PM was registered in 2017 and continuously since
N807PM is registered as a Rotorcraft (helicopter). That is why you got an N number. The Mavic Pro is a UAV quadcopter. Therefore, you have registered it and the others incorrectly.

If you register your sUAV correctly you will receive what sounds like you described in post #1

1669399447227.png

FAA isn’t using N numbers for drones any more except under very special circumstances.

Just register them on your 107 Dashboard at the Drone Zone.

You're getting paper registration certificates from the FAA via postal mail? This is a thing?

Asking for a friend...
You could at one point. But the FAA frowns on that now. We use the Drone Zone now.

Back in the Section 333 days (prior to Part 107), we were required to utilize the N# for registration which required the full "3-part paper form" which is a total pain in the tail feathers. Not only during the initial portion of the application (you could make no mistakes and if you did you had to start totally over on a new set of paper forms) but even more so if you wanted to UnRegister or transfer registration to someone else. I still have an N# aircraft simply because it contains my Area Code and Initials so it's "personalized", but it's out of service and I allowed Registration to expire but it's cool to have it as a "Conversation Piece".

N# is reserved for Special Use UAS and I doubt you'll get one approved now for Hobby or Part 107 operations if you try to do it from scratch. Even if you could, the real question is WHY would you put yourself through that hassle at this point. The Drone Zone is so quick, efficient, and SIMPLE it's silly to not utilize it now.

Reactions: db4476 and GFields
Back in the Section 333 days (prior to Part 107), we were required to utilize the N# for registration which required the full "3-part paper form" which is a total pain in the tail feathers. Not only during the initial portion of the application (you could make no mistakes and if you did you had to start totally over on a new set of paper forms) but even more so if you wanted to UnRegister or transfer registration to someone else. I still have an N# aircraft simply because it contains my Area Code and Initials so it's "personalized", but it's out of service and I allowed Registration to expire but it's cool to have it as a "Conversation Piece".

N# is reserved for Special Use UAS and I doubt you'll get one approved now for Hobby or Part 107 operations if you try to do it from scratch. Even if you could, the real question is WHY would you put yourself through that hassle at this point. The Drone Zone is so quick, efficient, and SIMPLE it's silly to not utilize it now.
Ah now I remember all those 3 part forms and making sure I had several blanks. The tiniest of errors and it was all returned and the turnaround was usually weeks. Thanks for the info...now I just need to find space on the Mavic for the 15 digits and letters of the new id #.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
Prefer the UK and EU registration, owner registers as an Operator and get a number. That number is good for one or 100 aircraft.

Just a reminder that there are a lot of sites that look like the FAA and will register it for a nominal fee of $50-75. Don't pay over $5. Beware
I'm not even sure why the $5 with the faa. Seems like another racquet.

Reactions: SWTSU
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute